Author Topic: Pachaug  (Read 553 times)

Offline seaQuest

• IceShanty Rookie
Pachaug
« on: Feb 01, 2019, 06:54 AM »
Can someone tell me the "safer" areas on Pachaug? I live close by, but have avoided fishing it for years because I always hear horror stories about how inconsistent the ice freezes. I would like to go out and try fishing it without killing myself. If anyone can tell me areas that generally freeze fairly reliably, I would appreciate it. I will still spud my way out, just trying to get a little help.

Offline Rooster18

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pachaug
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2019, 07:54 AM »
I’ve avoided Pachaug this year because the ice has looked sketchy.  The cove on the SW side by the marina has been locked up for a while and builds good ice.  There was a large open area running from 165 up the middle which just froze over with a skim this morning.  That area is almost always open water however the open water patch was 2 or 3 times bigger than in most years.  I stopped by the boat ramp a couple of days ago and was surprised.  There was a lot of open water in the channel coming out of the main body of the lake.  That area is almost always safe except for by the dam.  I’m thinking there is a lot of current from the high water in the river stoping things from freezing this year.

I took a look at Beach Pond too this morning.  There is a lot of open water by 165 and nothing appeared to be safe on either side of the road.  No body has been fishing it ether.  Someone drilled a bunch of holes but I could see where they turned around 50’ out as the ice looked sketchy there too.

Offline Global Warming in CT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pachaug
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2019, 11:28 AM »
In all honesty, I never rely on other people's reports for Pachaug (or any other places that are a river system) because it freezes so unevenly. If you can, try to scout it out beforehand. I've fished there a few times this year,  but not after last week's thaw. I don't have time to check it today and am fishing elsewhere this weekend, or I'd scout and share.
People are also hush-hush on access there too. It took me years of parking at the launch and hiking to good spots, before I met a homeowner who gave me permission to park/access.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.