The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jet Sled conversion  (Read 2517 times)

Offline gauge

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jet Sled conversion
« on: Nov 25, 2016, 02:05 PM »
Has anyone ever converted a jet sled to a dog sled design?
I vision so many benefits of each and combined might be a real homerun.
Jet sled slides great over slush and deep snow.
Dog sled has a ton of cargo space and love the ability jump on the back and hop from hole to hole.
Let me know what you think before I start screwing into my jet sled

Thanks

Gauge

Fishing the same way and expecting different results.

Offline WarBonnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jet Sled conversion
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2016, 02:20 PM »
      Why not, skies from thriftshop, a little wood and away you go !    :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:                                                   Wb

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2016, 03:22 PM »
I like the floatation you get from the sled in the slushholes , but no passenger capacity .   I know the old dogsleds get loaded up with the slush in the skies and your stuck with a shovel in your hand .

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2016, 06:24 PM »
Look up Smitty Sled.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline cjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2016, 05:38 AM »
Has anyone ever converted a jet sled to a dog sled design?

I like how you're thinking. 
You're right, could be a home run if you have a lot of gear to haul.
Would take some frame work to be able to "hop on the back", not sure the jet would be rigid enough.
Personally JMHO I'm not a big fan of the sleds built with old skis, I like the way a jet sled floats on top of the snow better.
Time to scrounge up some aluminum and get to fabricating.
Thanks, another project idea rolling around in the back of my mind I don't have time to work on.  ;D

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2016, 07:05 AM »
definatley a smitty sled and there are some out there who have built some really nice ones, basically a frame that the sled fits into.  I think in this case an aluminum box frame with a back like a dog sled so you can have a standup passenger on the back.  Probably best if the jet sled is bolted to the aluminum frame.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2016, 07:16 AM »

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:26 AM »
X3 on the Smitty Sled.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0

Great thread thanks for sharing . I love seeing all the ideas people come up with .  Some very slick looking rigs

Offline Wolley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 04:23 PM »
How about 2 jet sleds towed like a train.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2016, 04:26 PM »
get a older clam kozy calf sled mount on skis done

Offline Sluggo65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2016, 09:18 PM »
My complaint was that I had to lay my pack basket down in the sled in order to put the cover on the sled. Anything I didn't want to get snowed on had to come in the shelter. I attached a piece of plywood about 18" high to the front  by bolting down a piece of aluminum angle to the top of the sled that I could bolt the plywood to. Then I did the same thing with in the back with a piece about twice as high for that traditional dog sled outline. I added another piece of angle at the top of the front plywood with the flange facing forward an on the back I added a piece of 2x4 along the top, on the outside (back) side. I then connected the two pieces of plywood with aluminum angle on either side to create the box. It is very strong and sturdy with the two ends braced this way (and with the angle catching on both the top and the side) but doesn't add much weight or make it top heavy. The elastic of my cover fits perfectly over the whole top to make it snow and rain proof and I can access things quickly from the side if I don't want to remove the cover. When I got it out on the ice for the first time last year, I quickly noticed how easy it was to actually push the sled from the back - it's at the perfect height. I usually disconnect it from the wheeler now and just push it from hole to hole when jigging or changing bait. It glides along the ice and adds a little stability for us guys getting older! Couldn't think of a good way to add the step on the back for a passenger without taking up a lot of room in the sled. I think that a cantilevered floor off the back of the sled would add too much strain on the sled top.
Is it making ice yet?

Offline Bad Heering

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Its Physics Folks
Jet Sleds have more surface area and rides on the snow
Dog Sleds have less and will ride upon the snow but more plowing through it

I think everyone has tried to build from the jet sled down to the ice  It might be a good idea to work it the other direction

Offline Huntermike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2016, 01:40 PM »
I had a big otter sled an thought the same thing so I made the sides a little taller an predrilled the holes to hold the sides on the sled an when I used it ice fishing  it made the sides of the sled crack right down the screw holes from the cold ,it was below zero cold ,so I'm not sure if the screwholes weekend the plastic an the wood on the sides or not ,but I had to buy another one .

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:12 AM »
I had a big otter sled an thought the same thing so I made the sides a little taller an predrilled the holes to hold the sides on the sled an when I used it ice fishing  it made the sides of the sled crack right down the screw holes from the cold ,it was below zero cold ,so I'm not sure if the screwholes weekend the plastic an the wood on the sides or not ,but I had to buy another one .

If you have to make a hole, next time heat up a metal pin & melt a hole threw the plastic. This will build up the edges of the hole, make for a smooth finish, and heat treat the grains of the plastic to help avoid cracking.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2016, 10:21 AM »
an old friend of mind made a perfect welded aluminum dog sled with wide ski s when it was cold and dry it worked perfect. when he went tru slush it would freeze onto the skis and the build up was unreal ,it would get so heavy it was difficult to pull and move. plastic  jet sleds  can make good flotation  slush will not stick to them with a cover gear stays protected.

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2016, 12:10 PM »
Get the magnum jet sled.
It must be something in the water.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2016, 03:20 PM »
These look like they would do the trick ??

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/bunk%20feeder

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.