Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 538316 times)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #3180 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:34 AM »
Be careful out there.  We haven't had a decent freeze in quite a while and the ice is deteriorating pretty much every where around here.  Its just a mater of time until we hear a sad story.  Don't be that guy.

Offline houlzhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3181 on: Jan 20, 2018, 12:23 PM »
went to Kelso yesterday-ice is good with solid 8 inches.  All the slop from last week has refroze-Iced 1 nice bow

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3182 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:29 PM »
Hit round lake today. Near the docks the ice is 4 inches of clear with another four of honey combed cloudy on top that you will occasionally break through while walking. Straight out in the middle the ice was 2 inches of clear and four cloudy and honey combed... we retreated back to thicker ice. We iced no perch. The bite was terrible, unless you could find trout. They were as frisky as ever. We caught three bows and kept one of them. I also caught my personal best large mouth through the ice. He weighed in at about 3.5 lbs and really tested the limits on my 28” ice rod with 4 lb mono! What a blast! I can’t believe the tiny, tear-drop tungsten jig I was using even stayed in his lip. Anyway, if you go out to Round, please be very careful! We need some good cold nights or this is going to be an abbreviated ice season.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3183 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:37 PM »
Great to hear of the good action.    Another 3 hours and I be free to get out there, ha.

Offline PLumpee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3184 on: Jan 20, 2018, 09:07 PM »
Hello everyone. What a great thread. I stumbled across this site searching for fish finder information and after 10 hours of boredom pike fishing, I convinced myself to join.
Starting early this week I began rounding up kids and stealing fishing buddies in an effort to prepare for an epic pike expedition on Hayden. Our spread looked like wheat stubble in a snowy field. We carefully canvased the area and sat on our buckets staring... I cannot seem to catch a pike!!

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3185 on: Jan 20, 2018, 10:07 PM »
Fished spirit lake today, the ice was pretty spongy.  It was 1-1/2" of ice that's frozen slush, then 1-1/2" loose slush, then 2" milky ice, then 2" of clear.  Anyone walking close would make water rise in the holes.  We caught a few chinook, 5 Kokanee, 1 crappie, and 1 perch.  Overall it was a very slow day with lots of moving and not much on the flasher.  There was a few other guys on the ice that had same results.  We had the pleasure of meeting Walt Maurer on the ice. It's always nice to meet someone from the shanty.  Fingers crossed for a cold snap.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Why can't it go from warm to instant fishable ice?
« Reply #3186 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:49 PM »
I'm new to this site but am hoping it freezes again soon, my new auger arrived yesterday and am anxious to punch some holes. Sounds like Spirit might be the place to go, I see someone mentioned the ''ice box'' I assume that is the east end what we used to call ''freeze out.'' I haven't fished there for years but would like to catch some kokanee to smoke. Would like to catch some pike somewhere, anyone checked out the chain lakes yet.
Doing what I do best, exploiting the natural resources of the world.

Offline jagmt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3187 on: Jan 21, 2018, 08:41 PM »
I'm new to this site but am hoping it freezes again soon, my new auger arrived yesterday and am anxious to punch some holes. Sounds like Spirit might be the place to go, I see someone mentioned the ''ice box'' I assume that is the east end what we used to call ''freeze out.'' I haven't fished there for years but would like to catch some kokanee to smoke. Would like to catch some pike somewhere, anyone checked out the chain lakes yet.

I drive past the chain lakes every day...they are mostly open water.

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3188 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:04 AM »
Hello catskinner, I got your message but not sure if my reply went through. If you pm me your phone number I will give you a call tonight.

Thanks
Casey

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3189 on: Jan 22, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Fished spirit lake today, the ice was pretty spongy.  It was 1-1/2" of ice that's frozen slush, then 1-1/2" loose slush, then 2" milky ice, then 2" of clear.  Anyone walking close would make water rise in the holes.  We caught a few chinook, 5 Kokanee, 1 crappie, and 1 perch.  Overall it was a very slow day with lots of moving and not much on the flasher.  There was a few other guys on the ice that had same results.  We had the pleasure of meeting Walt Maurer on the ice. It's always nice to meet someone from the shanty.  Fingers crossed for a cold snap.
Likewise, chatting with CMS & Kyle made my first-ever trip to this beautiful lake memorable even though I got skunked (No Fish, No Bites)!  I'd never before seen a 5" Chinook, and I'm really looking forward to catching a keeper within a year or so. In the meantime, will target those big red-meated cutthroats that a friend caught the day before (the day I should'a been there...).  Hope someone will keep us updated on Spirit's ice this week.

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3190 on: Jan 22, 2018, 09:45 PM »
Tried west side of Fernan again today:  ice was at least 5" as best as I could tell from existing holes.  Pair of guys who quit around about 1PM said they'd walked almost all the way to east side and found the ice OK;  one caught a couple of bass, the other some perch, but they couldn't find a school (the usual 1 or 2 fish per hole stuff). I fished various holes around the power line and caught only 3 perch in 5 hrs.  So I'm crossing Fernan off my list for now, will consider Avondale or Spirit tomorrow.

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3191 on: Jan 23, 2018, 03:41 AM »
New to the forum, been ice fishing north Idaho for 20 years.

Looking for some some current info on Cocolalla ice? Got a 4 day weekend coming up and would like some perch filets.  Fernan has been slow.  Usually only 20 or so medium to small perch in 5-6 hours of fishing.  Was out Saturday and shore melt is getting bad, but 6 feet off the shore. Had to put in at the west end boat launch.  Still averaging about 6 inches of ice, 3 or so of clear.  If your willing to walk to the middle of the lake, been doing well on decent sized cats.

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3192 on: Jan 23, 2018, 10:44 AM »
If you don't mind telling, what are you using for bait on the cats?

Offline S.moyer0331

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3193 on: Jan 23, 2018, 11:13 AM »
Swedish pimple and a perch eye.  They usually come in about 5-8 feet off the bottom, but we've pulled some off the bottom as well.  Week and a half ago we pulled 5 or so, biggest was about 4 or 5 lbs

Offline catskinner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3194 on: Jan 23, 2018, 08:30 PM »
Hey thanks for the info I might have to try that out tomorrow.

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3195 on: Jan 24, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Avondale ice yesterday was still over 8" within 20 yds of east shore directly across from the "boat launch", and the bite was still poor (but always nice to enjoy the ice, except for losing an ice rod & stand to a fish when I wasn't looking).  An 8-foot board should get you on ice about 30 yds south of launch.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3196 on: Jan 26, 2018, 01:34 AM »
Whaaa?     Where'd everyone go?      You give the impression the season is over.    ???            :icefish:

Offline RayneBidziil22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3197 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:39 AM »
 :P more like this season sucks so bad for ice fishing. ive only got maybe 40 fish this whole season on all the lakes ive been on (minus hayden got 60 something perch and 4 pike)  im normal getting large numbers of fish from Avondale, fernan, and a few other places but this year its like pulling fossilized teeth from dinosaurs and not break them
Fishaholic yes I am do I need help only with finding a bigger place to store all my stuff

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3198 on: Jan 26, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I haven't put my ice gear away yet.  But we better get a hard freeze in the next couple of weeks, or its over.  Two poor ice seasons in a row.  Who would a thunk it could happen.   Good thing I stocked up the freezer with crappie and perch this last summer.   Cross your fingers for a cold snap.

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3199 on: Jan 26, 2018, 09:08 AM »
There are colder temps in the forecast for the latter half of next week. Fingers and toes are crossed that it's enough to firm things up.

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3200 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:51 PM »
Anyone know if Spirit ice is still OK at Maiden Rock boat launch (south end of Nautical Loop)?  Or Hayden at sportsman's access?  (Avondale still OK yesterday with 8", but need at least 8ft board to get on.)

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3201 on: Jan 26, 2018, 01:34 PM »
I stopped by yesterday and peeked, the slush at the shore firmed up, the ice looked the same as last weekend with about 1-1/2" of slush on top, someone had been out there.  We're gonna give it a try tommorow

Offline hugeinchina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3202 on: Jan 26, 2018, 02:15 PM »
Anytime ice requires a board to get on, you can count this hombre out!  :-\

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3203 on: Jan 26, 2018, 06:00 PM »
Si Senor,
        Constrution materials on the ice only for the burner.     ;)2 :roflmao: :cookoo:

Offline Idahoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3204 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:47 PM »
Any reports on Priest lake?!?

Offline waltermaurer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3205 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:17 PM »
I stopped by yesterday and peeked, the slush at the shore firmed up, the ice looked the same as last weekend with about 1-1/2" of slush on top, someone had been out there.  We're gonna give it a try tommorow
Thanks for the report, maybe I'll check it out too (with lifejacket and ice picks).

Offline CMS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3206 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:33 PM »
Oh yeah, us too. We'll tread lightly and take it inch by inch. Planning on being there at daylight quote author=waltermaurer link=topic=64932.msg3805859#msg3805859 date=1517026637]
Thanks for the report, maybe I'll check it out too (with lifejacket and ice picks).
[/quote]

Offline Skookum1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3207 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:09 PM »
New to the forum, been ice fishing north Idaho for 20 years.

Looking for some some current info on Cocolalla ice? Got a 4 day weekend coming up and would like some perch filets.  Fernan has been slow.  Usually only 20 or so medium to small perch in 5-6 hours of fishing.  Was out Saturday and shore melt is getting bad, but 6 feet off the shore. Had to put in at the west end boat launch.  Still averaging about 6 inches of ice, 3 or so of clear.  If your willing to walk to the middle of the lake, been doing well on decent sized cats.

Don't believe anything this man says. He is of questionable character and catches no fish.  ;)

sihlms391

« Reply #3208 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Heading up North to round lake today with my son.  Ice fished lower twin last night little slow.   

Offline Stiks32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3209 on: Jan 27, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Fished Mirror lake yesterday. Ice is still in a fishable state. Total of 7", 3 of which is clear. If you have a depth finder, use it. Trout are at 10-17' deep. Kokanee are at 25' deep. If you're at 30', you might as well stay home. The koke bite is frustratingly LIGHT. And I do mean light. Maggots catch kokes and worms for trout. If you don't have a depth finder, use the floating dock to the east of the launch as a reference point. The north side of the dock is 9' depth and the South side is 17' depth. Stay on that line and you'll get into some bows/cutts/brookies. Dear lord just please gives is 10 days below freezing soon!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.