Author Topic: Pan fish "Long Rod"  (Read 5075 times)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
Pan fish "Long Rod"
« on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:25 AM »
How many of you guys use a longer rod for Hole-hopping for panfish? I'm talking 36"+.

Yesterday I fished a lake here in SE Michigan that required a lot of moving to stay on the fish, and my back now kills the day after, presumably from huddling over each hole with a 24" rod.  I noticed a lot of other guys out there had quite a bit longer rods that allowed them to stand a few feet away from the hole and still successfully catch fish in the wind without even having to kneel.

Does anybody have any recommendations on longer rods to try out to see if that type of fishing suits me better and saves my back?

Thanks everybody

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pan fish "Long Rod"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2018, 05:53 AM »
HT Ice Blues wil give you a taste of it for little money.  I've built a few of my own using scavenged rods with broken tips and pole reels with the line thru the middle of the blank.  THey're a blast in shallow water when the weather's right.  Line through the blank beats the wind.  With my height and reach I can pick a panfish off bottom in 10 fow with just a lift.  Definitely saves the back and knees.  The Ice Blues are pretty limber.  Once you get into the technique you'll probably want something with more of a backbone.  You're basically hooking the fish and lifting it onto the ice. They call them "stillfish" rods out that way and there were a few places that were building and selling them a few years ago when I was looking into it.
https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Blue-Super-Flex-Ice-Fishing-Rods

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:19 AM »
The longer rods really help the back when hole hopping. I use a 38". won't mention the brand son't want to start a debate. Get what you can afford. Good luck on your season.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:40 AM »
I've been looking at the HT Ice Blue 48" and the Schooley Arctic Blue 42" ( which look to be not as whippy as the HT with larger guides) Anyone have any info or experience on this one? So far as I've seen everyone seems to be out of them.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:42 AM »
yep hole hopping standing up requires a long rod.ht ice blue 48" or 36".32 is alright too.all the ol timers stand and use  long rods around here.its hard to tell if the catch anything because the have pack baskets on them too.lol.in 10ft or less you just lift the rod and pluck the fish out of the hole and right into the pack basket.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2018, 06:53 AM »
The longer rods really help the back when hole hopping. I use a 38". won't mention the brand son't want to start a debate. Get what you can afford. Good luck on your season.
Keep it safe! JDL

Mind PM'ing me the brand?

I'm open for any and all suggestions.  My back can't take the short game much longer.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:54 AM »
I've been looking at the HT Ice Blue 48" and the Schooley Arctic Blue 42" ( which look to be not as whippy as the HT with larger guides) Anyone have any info or experience on this one? So far as I've seen everyone seems to be out of them.

That's my one thing with the ht ice blue, they are so whippy that any wind has them wobbling like one of those inflatable air tube men at a used car dealership.

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Also if you are too far from the hole, you need to get up off your bucket to skim off the slush.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Yeah...folks don’t realize that mixing brands will cause interference when the signal overlaps from the transducers.  I’m surprised that we don’t have more discussion on the utility of different angle transducers.  Bigger angle is not always better if you are fishing deep for species such as mackinaw or Lakers.

Wrong thread ;D. I think...

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2018, 03:29 PM »
Mind PM'ing me the brand?

I'm open for any and all suggestions.  My back can't take the short game much longer.
PM sent.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:18 PM »

Offline bassbull

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2018, 04:43 PM »
I use a 4 ft. 8 inch ugly stick ,med act.. Cost about 40 bucks at wally world. Saves the back and the pain between the shoulders big time. What ever brand you go with you won't be sorry!!! Also if possible, a head of time get yourself a old golf club and put a skimmer head on it. it will help on the hole jumping also. No bending over to skim holes. Good luck  STEVE

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:07 PM »
my go to long rods are a 36 and 48 inch Jason Mitchell Meat Sticks. both with the matching reels. 36 inch is offered as a combo and the 48 inch you need to buy the rod and reel separate.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2018, 07:54 PM »
4'6" Ugly Stik Lite UL
5' Ugly Stik Lite UL

Not just for hole hopping, but lazy lounge fishing too... ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:00 PM »
my go to long rods are a 36 and 48 inch Jason Mitchell Meat Sticks. both with the matching reels. 36 inch is offered as a combo and the 48 inch you need to buy the rod and reel separate.

How do you like them? Is the backbone too stuff just for bluegills?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2018, 08:15 PM »
theres also the frabill jiggler.think its called that, where the line runs  inside the rod and comes in long lengths.those are pretty good in the wind.all the ol timers around here use whippy long rods in the wind because the go by feel with them and can tell when a fish hits even when its windy with those wet noodles.im still voting ht ice blue 36 to 48 inch.not much money to invest in case you don't like them.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:21 PM »
How do you like them? Is the backbone too stuff just for bluegills?

I like them. the tips are sensitive and there is enough back bone to pull the fish up and out of the hole. you can really feel the bite on them. I was fishing my 28 inch meat stick in my house the last time I was out and had a small 5 inch gill come up and smack the jig, really felt it when it hit. just be careful with the tip as they are known to break if you are not careful with how you store them.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:12 AM »
its quicker to hole hop and a lot easier on the back with long rods and jigging standing up is all.dont have to carry a chair or bucket.plus longer rod in shallow water all you do is lift the fish out of the hole.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2018, 09:18 AM »
yeah mine too. with a backrest.lol.mine hurts standing or sitting these days.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:37 AM »
yeah mine too. with a backrest.lol.mine hurts standing or sitting these days.

Comes with age. Used to be able to sit on a bucket all day long. Now after a couple of hours the ache starts setting in. Much more comfy standing now.

Offline FISH4WISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2018, 01:00 AM »
I only stand if the ice is sloppy,otherwise I kneel,blocks the wind more.

F4W

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2018, 07:50 AM »
I only stand if the ice is sloppy,otherwise I kneel,blocks the wind more.

F4W
oh man I cant get up from the kneeling position anymore.if I'm fishing like that more than 30 minutes I have to stop drop and roll myself back up. rhuematiod arthritis in my knee joints and hip sucks,but in the cold it sucks worse.

Offline Jagger0502

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I do amlost all of my fishing standing and moving from hole to hole. Can’t troll if you don’t have 30+ holes and I catch a lot more moving than I do sitting. I keep adding length to my rods and the longer I have gotten the more I like the rod. It’s not just my back but my neck that starts to hurt after a while looking straight down. I just ordered a 42” TS light action rod and think this will be the right length for me at 5’9” I have also found fishing for panfish in deeper water I like the longer rods with heavier spoons than a short UL or light action could handle. Just don’t seem limited with the longer light action rods like I do the shorter ones. Of course this is hole hoping. In my shanty I can only go 32” max before I hit the front or roof. I don’t even fish with a rod under 30” anymore and have passed those rods all onto buddies I fish with.

Also not sure if anyone has tried summer fishing out of a kayak or canoe with the flasher but a 40-50” rod and a flasher out the side in a small boat is a lot of fun in the summer time so keep the dust off your gear and give it a try.
Dad- “Did I wait to long? Should I have set the hook? “ Me- “I am fairly certain fish don’t have hands....”

“GET EM!” - Scott Odonnell

Offline TCubed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Columbia Falls, MT
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2018, 01:02 PM »
I really like using the Perch Assault 42". Its a super ultra light but has enough back bone in it if you do happen to hook into a bigger fish.
Mike Howe who has them made is a member on here. PerchAssault is his screen name.  Look him up

Nick

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2018, 08:17 PM »
oh man I cant get up from the kneeling position anymore.if I'm fishing like that more than 30 minutes I have to stop drop and roll myself back up. rhuematiod arthritis in my knee joints and hip sucks,but in the cold it sucks worse.
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention arthritis in their hip. Mine just became noticeable this fall. I used to be able to fish from 6am to 5pm. now, if I can make it til noon, i'm lucky. can't stand and walk for too long. if my hip is hurting, the pain goes to the knee. I've had to use my bucket to help me get up vs the stop, drop and roll. Next year, i'll be out there with a cane.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2018, 11:22 AM »
Here is an example of the Pulsator type of ice fishing rod that is considered a long rod. Very popular in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. Easy on the back, Line runs through the blank cutting down on wind interference, Keeps you back from the hole. So you are not spooking fish, Lift and walk to next hole. Lots of fun. https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/spo/d/ice-fishing-rod-54-pulsator/6514600774.html. As for skimming out your holes, attach your skimmer to a golf club shaft with electric tape or shrink tubing.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2018, 07:38 PM »
I made rod holders out of pvc pipe.  I cut the pipe to length then I cut a slot on the side of one end.   The riser on the reel fits snuggly into the slot.  It took me about fifteen minutes to make two rod holders.  No more broke poles during transportation.
Was just reading through this thread and read Snitch's post. Thought I'd share a couple pics of the rod holders I made to modify my jet sled with. They would work for any size spinner combo and they work way better then cramming them all in a bucket and getting everything tangled up! Quick and cheap to make also

The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline jtc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 25, 2018, 07:25 AM »
Do you add spring bobbers to your long polls.
The world would be better if we all took a 6 month fishing trip twice a year.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Mar 25, 2018, 07:44 AM »
Do you add spring bobbers to your long polls.

Yes...I have them on my 48" HT's with an inline reel and works great. Next season I am going to purchase a couple of 42" Schooley Arctic Blues with same setup.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #29 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09:06 AM »
Im going to have to try the inline reels.
I just picked up a 36" Shakespeare fiberglass that works great for panfish.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.