Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 228257 times)

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #450 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Thought it was you, glad to see you still out fishin...lol  we got a few lakers the other night, went out on the west end a few hundred yards, 100FOW,few small hits off the bottom, had  to faness them. Going for eyes tomorrow though, need a fix....lol  we got about 20 good perch on monday and a pike at church, might go back or huffs not sure. Hope to see you out on the ice soon..
Tim

Offline ultimate tire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #451 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:24 AM »
Was wondering if anyone has fished Mackie lake or Brule lake???

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #452 on: Jan 21, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Off to Verona Lake Sunday for some perch, pike and walleye.  Should be a great day.  Also, selling my 8" Jiffy Legend Model 31 Ice Auger for $300.  Only 2 years old and hardly used.  Bought a new Jiffy Pro4 - propane model - so only reason I am selling the Model 31 is I have no need for 2 augers. 
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #453 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Had a beautiful day on Dog Saturday. About a foot of ice.
Caught a 5lb pike over six hours. Might have caught more if the other fisherman had resisted drag racing their sleds up and down the lake.
What really disappointed me though was the bass piling up next to the piles of pike. I had assumed most people knew better or just cared more, than to pillage a body of water like that.
I guess the law and commen sense don't apply to everyone.

Not the quality of character I choose to associate myself with.
   Good luck

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #454 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:28 PM »
not sure why people feel the need to eat bass they are gross compared to pretty much every other species I never used to think so but a side by side comparison has changed my mind I really only keep small walleye, lakers and panfish for the table now

bass n small pike tend to taste weedy
SEOO

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #455 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:31 PM »
Im going to guess you were at the north end of dog. It is disgusting, last season I saw multiple 5lb + fish, with the back meat ripped off and the carcus left on the ice. It is brutal

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #456 on: Jan 22, 2012, 05:59 PM »
Great day on Verona Lake today. Caught 7 pike and several perch over 3 hours. About 20 other people on the ice but they were not producing any fish. There is 13" of good, clean ice on the lake. Overall, a fantastic ice fishing day! 

Cheers!

Leviathan_Slayer a.k.a. Don

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #457 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:17 AM »
Hey Don, where are you catching the pike on Rock lake?  I catch enough perch there, but my tip up never gets a sniff.  I am fishing in among the other huts, are you fishing further out in the lake away from the south end?

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #458 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:44 AM »
try jigging for the pike  ;)
SEOO

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #459 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:49 AM »
I guess, but then I will miss out on the tasty perch! lol

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #460 on: Jan 23, 2012, 07:38 AM »
Had a beautiful day on Dog Saturday. About a foot of ice.
Caught a 5lb pike over six hours. Might have caught more if the other fisherman had resisted drag racing their sleds up and down the lake.
What really disappointed me though was the bass piling up next to the piles of pike. I had assumed most people knew better or just cared more, than to pillage a body of water like that.
I guess the law and commen sense don't apply to everyone.

Not the quality of character I choose to associate myself with.
   Good luck
Nice pike!  You saw other fisherman piling bass on the ice?  Were they sitting beside the pile, or left on the ice?   I would have defiantely called the MNR tips line 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)  on that one, if not confronted the guy (depends how big he was).  That is complete B.S. and makes me furious  :%$#!:
Tight lines

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #461 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:28 PM »
We hit Dog lake this am,(before the rain)  The bit was slow but we did get a few.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #462 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:40 PM »
Nice Sig, can't believe I haven't hit Dog yet this year.
@jzuliniak

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #463 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:49 PM »
Nice Sig, can't believe I haven't hit Dog yet this year.

same here, where did you head out from Sig? Gilmour?

Offline Bath

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #464 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:30 PM »
I have been reading this website for the last few weeks (lurking for all the good fishing locations :)) so I thought I better give a report.

Fished Dog lake this Saturday. We fished out in front of Hogan's (off the island that has the bridge going too it). After we dicked around with a broken hand auger we finally got fishing. Managed 5 pike largest being 5lbs. We were jigging and the pike were hitting the lures on the free fall.

All and all a nice day with great weather. Were hoping to get into some splake but it didn't happen. Any info on some splake fishing would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #465 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:34 PM »
hey Bath, welcome aboard, sounds like a nice day.

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #466 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Hey Junky, We come into Dog from the cranberry lake road, we have permission from a cottage owner to use his property to get on the ice
and we use a 4wheel truck to get in there.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #467 on: Jan 23, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Nice pike!  You saw other fisherman piling bass on the ice?  Were they sitting beside the pile, or left on the ice?   I would have defiantely called the MNR tips line 1-877-TIPS-MNR (847-7667)  on that one, if not confronted the guy (depends how big he was).  That is complete B.S. and makes me furious  :%$#!:

Glad I'm not alone in this sentiment.
Re: calling the Ministry, I don't want to be 'that guy'. Especially, if some good folk get stung in the cross-fire.

We were out from Hitchcock. Yes they had fish piled up by their truck. They even threw a good 3lb bass to the dog as a chew toy. What a waste.

Offline cannitro482

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #468 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:50 PM »
Glad I'm not alone in this sentiment.
Re: calling the Ministry, I don't want to be 'that guy'. Especially, if some good folk get stung in the cross-fire.

We were out from Hitchcock. Yes they had fish piled up by their truck. They even threw a good 3lb bass to the dog as a chew toy. What a waste.

You don't want to be that guy, WHY NOT, they are breaking the law and spoiling the fishing for the rest of us, and to throw the dog one, I would have been giving them a piece of my mind and calling the MNR

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #469 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:41 AM »
I will be on Verona lake today after work working on getting my stove setup.  Hopfully my anchors managed to freeze in before this warm garbage came along and my hut is still there! 

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #470 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:50 AM »
I will be on Verona lake today after work working on getting my stove setup.  Hopfully my anchors managed to freeze in before this warm garbage came along and my hut is still there!

Good luck 9am53!!! Hopefully you get some time to drop a line and get a few before you have to head home! :)

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #471 on: Jan 24, 2012, 10:54 AM »
I will have one down just in case, but the main plan is to get the stove done so this weekend when the family come out they will be warm :)

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #472 on: Jan 24, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Nice, that will make for a good weekend!

Offline Jay_Min

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Can't get enough of the fishin
« Reply #473 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:26 AM »
Anyone headed out to BOQ this weekend??? wondering what the ice is like now?? Maybe we will check it out this afternoon & post an ice report   :-\
Love to Fish!

Offline seoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #474 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:42 PM »
Jay-min - I am an ex-Millhavien

I was out on BOQ today just got home wasn't much action only perch I was accessing near the church from a buddies piece of private property the ice looks sketchy but we were on 6+" the entire time

Places in the reach like huffs are currently unfishable due to the warm weather be careful if you head out as the ice was dissolving with lots of water on top when I came off

thinking tomorrow will be a back lake day
SEOO

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #475 on: Jan 28, 2012, 04:59 PM »
I got a few perch, kept 4  and got a 5 pound pike today.  The pike scared me half to death because I was using a panfish popper rod with 4 pound test and no leader!  The drag on the rod saved me  ;D

Offline Jay_Min

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #476 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:11 AM »
Wow good job man !! I lost one last week bit right through my leader & line & took everything.
Love to Fish!

Offline Jay_Min

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #477 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:15 AM »
Jay-min - I am an ex-Millhavien

I was out on BOQ today just got home wasn't much action only perch I was accessing near the church from a buddies piece of private property the ice looks sketchy but we were on 6+" the entire time

Places in the reach like huffs are currently unfishable due to the warm weather be careful if you head out as the ice was dissolving with lots of water on top when I came off

thinking tomorrow will be a back lake day        We went to check out BOQ last night only 6 people off shermins point looked pretty scetchy there.. but over at south shore Hay Bay Church there were at least 30 portable shacks.. we are heading out there today for a bit.. Thanks for the post.
Love to Fish!

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #478 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:30 AM »
I got a few perch, kept 4  and got a 5 pound pike today.  The pike scared me half to death because I was using a panfish popper rod with 4 pound test and no leader!  The drag on the rod saved me  ;D

Nice! That must have been a fun fight!

Offline 9am53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #479 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:24 AM »
Nice! That must have been a fun fight!

It was fun and thrilling until it did the usual pike roll over by the hole.  It was also fun getting it through my iced over 6" hole!  I augered it out to about 4-5 inches and snuck the pike through that!  I was worried I would have to lip him to get him out  :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.