Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 228262 times)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #180 on: Jan 16, 2011, 12:34 PM »
 :tipup: @) :tipup:

Jiffy Ice Augers

Just wanted to take a moment to share some info. I am often asked what fuel:oil mix I use in my Jiffy Model 31. In the manual for many of the Jiffys it says to use a 40:1 mixture but the label on the engine says 24:1. For the right answer you have to know which Tecumseh engine you have on the auger. A lot of the Jiffy augers (model 30 series, Stealth, etc) use a TV085AX (also coded AV520) engine. When this engine is used for an ice auger the proper mixture for consistent use is 40:1 which is 3.2 oz of 2-cycle oil to 1 gallon of gas or 100ml of oil to 4 litres of gas. The 24:1 mix is only used when this engine is used for all other purposes other than an ice auger.

Hope this info is useful to Jiffy users.

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline daver231

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:46 PM »
don't you mean "take her home"?  I hate people that b***h about the cold while standing on a frozen lake - did she think it'd be warm? >:(
it was a he lol but

Offline daver231

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 16, 2011, 04:51 PM »
hi gents went splake fishing today and we caught our limit and threw some back. oh and one smelly pike witch we kept mmmmmm yummy.
all in all it was a great day im hooked, it was my first time trying for them. our biggest was 3.5lbs. so i gutted them, cut their fins off and head.
so whos no's of a good recipe to cook them?

Offline Burnseyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 16, 2011, 05:43 PM »
 so did you just walk around to the front side of the to the left of where you parked? or did you go out in front of those cottages on the right? and how was the ice? cause I had seen some four wheeler tracks going across and looked like they had some fun. But not as much as you! way to go the splake can be really slow there sometimes,  but they are great in the pan  ;D

Offline daver231

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:11 PM »
so did you just walk around to the front side of the to the left of where you parked? or did you go out in front of those cottages on the right? and how was the ice? cause I had seen some four wheeler tracks going across and looked like they had some fun. But not as much as you! way to go the splake can be really slow there sometimes,  but they are great in the pan  ;D
im not sure went with some other guys we parked on side of road and walked for 40 mins to a island. what a walk with all that snow. i made sure i stayed at the rear of the convoy nicely packed walking, oh and picked up the odd pole. lol great day, been skunked for walleye 3 times know, so they took me splake fishing to get the ich again. always good times.

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 17, 2011, 02:59 PM »
Hoping to get to Dog Lake this weekend. Anybody know if it's safe to drive on yet?
Don't worry, I won't blame you for bad info.

Have always wanted to ice-fish Bay of Quinte. Can anyone suggest where to head and walk out? I guess a local bait shop would be good too. I always shop local when I can.

I was thinking of taking Highway 2 back from Kingston and passing through the Picton area to find some fishing, before heading back to TO. That would put me in the thick of BOQ options.

Stay Safe
Mike

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Jan 17, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Were abouts is potters creek i heard the bite is starting again up there if anyone wants to meet up and show me were the eyes are we could trade up some walleye spots i could show u were a nice brooke trout lake is

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #187 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:01 PM »
Fished Hambly Sunday with my brother Anthony and had a great day. It was a sunny cool -15 outside and not a gust of wind all morning, just perfect ice fishing weather  @) Set-up by 7:00am and fished until 2:00pm in the NorthWest bay of the lake. Perch were biting pretty good, a lot of small fish. Moved around most of the morning looking for crappies and bluegill but they were nowhere to be found..A bathymetric chart of the lake would have really helped. Biggest perch was about 10'' and together iced  probably close to 100 of the little buggers lol. Went 3 for 10 on our tip-ups. Biggest pike was about 5-6lbs but we had missed bigger for sure. Something I've never had happen was watching two of our tip-ups get yanked down the hole  :o A pike hit so hard the tip-up had vanished in less than a second right in front of me, just heard the wood hit the ice and whoop  ::) I packed down the base a lot better on the Anthony's tip-up and not even 20 minutes later...clack...anothe r tip-up gone  :o It was unreal..Never been robbed by big fish like that though  :o Packed it in around 2:00 and hit the Bravo for a burger and fries(Awesome fries!)Jiggy and I will be back in town in February and will back with a map and out polar-therm tip-ups this time. Maybe even hook up with a few members as well :) Checked out Verona Lake and Howes on the way home. LOT'S of snow out there too!

Andrew

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:20 PM »
I dont know how to either lol thanks for the info i appreciate it

Offline Tight Line

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Jan 18, 2011, 07:02 PM »
You guys rock.
Thanks for the info.
Perhaps you should think about getting your own TV show ;)

Oh yeah, I have a hand auger, but my buddy really wants to rent a gas one for the weekend. I remember the Rent All in Kingston charged us $40 for the day plus $10 for gas that we didn't even use.
Anyone know of a better place to call?
Thanks
Mike

Offline Tylercurt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Jan 19, 2011, 03:44 PM »
Hey guys, I just moved here from Trenton area so I was doing alot of fishing at Potters and Trenton. Potters is great for first ice then it falls off for abit. Picks up mid Feb, usually, I usually fish by bay marina before that. Lately been fishing Long reach and hay bay and doing ok. Big Island and Pt Anne’s will be good with better ice. Now that I live in Kingston area I want to learn the ins and outs of splake and lakers on Loughborough (my wife wants trout..lol).  As well as Dog Lake, nice to know where to go and what to bring for tackle.
Tim

Offline Krimpen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:10 PM »
For Lakers and Splake I find that the preferred lure/bait and depth is lake dependent.

One of the lakes where I target Lakers, has a forage base primarily of Shad, and I use Cleo's and Crippled Herrings with success. Krocodiles do not work nearly as well. If you lay a shad beside the Crippled Herring, they are nearly the same shape. On this particular lake, for live bait, Shiners will out-fish muds by a wide margin. I fish higher up the water column than on Smelt lakes.

Another Lake Trout lake I frequent has Smelt, and the Cleos and Crippled Herring's don't work nearly as well, instead, more slender spoons such as Krocodiles or if using live minnows, muds are preferred. In both cases, spoons and minnows are generally fished just off the bottom. Loughborough has Smelt, so take it from there.

For Splake, I follow the same rules, but downsize the lures and minnows. Match the baitfish in the lake - it will up your success.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:11 PM »
I like to fish trout let me know if u wanna go fish sometime i know a good brooktrout lake

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:37 PM »
Anyone knows if west end of Loughborough has good ice?

Offline Krimpen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #194 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:25 PM »
People have started fishing it - some were out there last weekend - but - the ice is recently formed.
I haven't been on it yet this year, but will be soon once it thickens a bit. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Anyone knows if west end of Loughborough has good ice?

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:35 PM »
People have started fishing it - some were out there last weekend - but - the ice is recently formed.
I haven't been on it yet this year, but will be soon once it thickens a bit. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Thank you Krimpen! I might try it tomorrow.
I was out on Sydenham today. Found few crappies and pike but only after 30 holes drilled.

Offline astroguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Thank you Krimpen! I might try it tomorrow.
I was out on Sydenham today. Found few crappies and pike but only after 30 holes drilled.
I was on Sydenham last Sat and got a nice 7lb pike and 3 lb pike. The ice was 6 -7 " solid but there was TONS of slush and my machine was stuck a number of times.....was it any better today?

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Jan 20, 2011, 08:26 PM »
Good to hear you got some fish on the weeked.
Today, ice was kind of strange. Some places it was nice and black where as others had 1 inch of fresh ice with 2-3 inches of soft stuff before you got to the bottom 5-6" of solid. There were many areas with slush as well making for hard walking too. So yes, it was a lot of work (hand auger). I wonder if ice on other lakes is similar? Anyone has been out to Verona/Hambly area?

Keep drilling and stay safe.

Offline Medy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #198 on: Jan 21, 2011, 03:51 PM »
First time post. Back to Ont from Victoria and Halifax. Thanks for the info on fishable lakes. In NS the regs list the lakes you can ice fish (all five of them). Nice to be in a province that is not 1 hour ahead, but ten years behind. I'll be out fishing Verona Sat afternoon, Sun morning. Probably leaving my boys (5&3) at home due to the expected cold weather.  Anyone else planning on heading out? Wouldn't mind thanking you in person and swapping lies.

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Jan 21, 2011, 10:47 PM »
Fished Loughborough this morning. Ice is strange and there are spots with a lot of water under the snow (water was ankle deep). Makes for a hard walk. Ventured out as deep as 75 ft and that had about 3" of good ice. Drilled several holes (fished each for 10-15 min) until I found one with some activity which was in 65 fow. In 2 1/2 hours I had 12 fish come in hard with 4 hook-ups and 2 landed (5lb and 3lb). Not a bad morning, there was no wind so it was rather pleasant. If you're heading there bring boots that can take the water as you'll be probably standing in it.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Made it out to Eagle Lake (7" good ice) and Long lake (8" ice) today - not very productive, but a great day on the ice anyway!  Great weather today, although there was some slushsy and wet places under the deep snow.

Where are the fish hidin ??? ???

How's Verona lake? I was thinking of trying that soon
Tight lines

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #201 on: Jan 22, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Fished Loughborough this morning. Ice is strange and there are spots with a lot of water under the snow (water was ankle deep). Makes for a hard walk. Ventured out as deep as 75 ft and that had about 3" of good ice. Drilled several holes (fished each for 10-15 min) until I found one with some activity which was in 65 fow. In 2 1/2 hours I had 12 fish come in hard with 4 hook-ups and 2 landed (5lb and 3lb). Not a bad morning, there was no wind so it was rather pleasant. If you're heading there bring boots that can take the water as you'll be probably standing in it.

Did you walk out from the boat launch in the west end? surprised at only 3" it was more than that last week and its been very cold, not surprised at the wet conditions though, lots of wet snow lately.
@jzuliniak

Offline Medy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Jan 22, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Made it out to Eagle Lake (7" good ice) and Long lake (8" ice) today - not very productive, but a great day on the ice anyway!  Great weather today, although there was some slushsy and wet places under the deep snow.

[/quote

Verona was a bit slow. Lots of people fishing and only some perch and pike feeding.  I'll be out again tommorrow. Baitfish in my pikes belly were small (2").

Offline cannitro482

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Jan 22, 2011, 09:59 PM »

I went to Verona lake today and got about 150 perch No pike or Walleye

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Did you walk out from the boat launch in the west end? surprised at only 3" it was more than that last week and its been very cold, not surprised at the wet conditions though, lots of wet snow lately.

JZ
Yes, I walked out the boat launch way. I found ice of various thickness and tried to stay out of the water which was not easy. When I found clear "black" 3 inch ice there was no action there at all. My best hole had so much water come out when I popped it. I ended up piling snow all around it to soak it up. Really messy stuff. I guess all the snow keeps it insulated and not really making new ice underneath? Does that sound possible?

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Jan 22, 2011, 10:46 PM »
I was told all the slush is from the weight of th snow pushing the water up through natural holes in the ice and if you look at them you can see the water coming up from them i seen a buch tday on dog 

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:10 AM »
I was told all the slush is from the weight of th snow pushing the water up through natural holes in the ice and if you look at them you can see the water coming up from them i seen a buch tday on dog 

Lunkrhuntr
   I was out on Dog yesterday too.... did you see a guy wearing all green sitting between the beach and the 3 shacks.... if so.. that was me...
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #207 on: Jan 23, 2011, 08:31 AM »
No i was fishin splake around the far side of hogans havin good luck to ice only about 3 inches of ice the guy i was with been catchhin nice ones there

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #208 on: Jan 23, 2011, 09:01 AM »
No i was fishin splake around the far side of hogans

how is the lane way driving down to the water at hogans, did you drive down in your car?

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Jan 23, 2011, 12:32 PM »
This certainly sounds plausible. I did see few dark watery 'eyes' in the snow but I did not dare venture close to investigate.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.