Author Topic: Best time for Crappies?  (Read 6539 times)

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
Best time for Crappies?
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:46 PM »
Are the crappies active towards the nighttime as they are in the summertime. I started jigging for them thru the ice and can't seem to catch to many but noticed i did get more bites towards the nighttime. Any advice is appreciated and good fishing all!! ;D

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Jeffro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re:Best time for Crappies?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2004, 07:46 PM »
Hey BASSandICE, I don't know about the "best" time but I do think crappie become more active (in general) in low light conditions.  Mostly I find them to be finicky eaters during the ice season but when they're hungry...       Last year I did particularly well at night.  9PM, Midnight, even 2AM worked.  I fished a glow-in-the-dark ice jig with waxies or a minnow.  As crappie feed by sight, I think the glow jig is the ticket.

Good luck.
God Bless the USA and all those who serve in her Armed Forces...

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2004, 08:55 PM »
Thanks for the info jeffro never iced fished at night will have to try it sometime must get really cold though. And will look for those glow in the dark jigs :'(

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2004, 08:09 AM »
I seem to catch them at any time of the day, but it seems to depend on the body of water you are fishing. Shaker Pond in Maine has extremely active Crappie fishing all day while the next pond over seldom catches any.

Todd_Hagerman

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2004, 06:43 PM »
I fish Hamilton Ind. at least two or three times a week I have found the best catch there is aprox. 4:oo pm to  2:oo am I have been using a glow hook and minnow. there is a lot of fisherman out there i have had good luck staying just out of the circle and must be patiant.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2004, 07:03 PM »
My ice fishing for Crappie have been crap....I can fly fish them srping summer fall but i can't cath em in the winter to save my life. I read here that best catch is after dark? till like 2 in the morning? This on minnows and glow jigs? This a overall concensus? Just need to knwo so i may try some nite time crappie i guess. Please any help would be great! Thanks all tight lines!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2004, 11:00 AM »
Most of the crappie that I catch are early in the morning as soon as it gets light and at about 4 until it gets dark.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2004, 04:38 PM »
Thanks to all kinda confirms my suspicions that they feed at the same time as in the summer months even though it is darker now with the ice. Must be on a nocturnal clock :'( :'(

Offline FISH ON

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2004, 12:13 PM »
Germ
question for you about the fly fishing for crappies , any good flies you can recommed , been wanting to try that this spring
thanks
fish on

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: Best time for Crappies?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2004, 07:31 PM »
I can't speak for Germ, but I have cleaned up on them in the spring time with # 10 poppers. White, yellow, or pink. Keep a good grip on the rod, they'll try to rip it right out of your hands!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2004, 03:54 PM »
This may be a wet-water fly (sinks) but pistol petes kill em'!!!
anybody use them through the ice, I should try...... 8)
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Fish Monger

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Maine
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2004, 03:56 PM »
Wolly Buggers will catch them. They are along the same idea as a fly. Olive green is the way to go.

Offline wny angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2004, 01:14 PM »
lately the crappies started  hitting at sunset with the best action between 9pm and 10:3o pm

P Gottshall

« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2004, 10:59 PM »
I fish a local lake.  Last year all the Crappies were in 12ft over brush piles.  Not this year.  All Crappie I've caught are in the deepest (18ft) of water.  I was out Sat & caught about 12 in 6 hours, 9am - 3pm.  I fished 5:30pm - 9:00pm the other evening, & 7:30 was prime.  In cental IL it's dark around 6:15.  I pulled in a dozen or so in about 30min.  Fish were in 18ft, suspended around 12ft.

That night was a blast, as I met & fished with a couple "older" guys.  The older gentleman was probably 80, & having a great time.  We threw all our fish in a pile, & he took 'em home.  What a blast, & a great memory for me.

Paul

GETABITE

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2004, 07:28 PM »
IF YOU DON'T MIND ME ASKING, WHERE ON EARTH DID YOU CATCH THOSE NIGHT PERCH AND CRAPPIES? I LIVE BY 'RANGO. LAKE SO THAT'S WHER I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FISH, NOT MUCH LUCK...

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2004, 10:10 PM »
Crappies are rather like walleyes in feeding times, though not quite as strong. They seem to bite very well when the sun comes up and as it starts to sink in the evening. They are usually suspended and will travel in loose schools, so seeing multiple marks at one depth range in the evening is commonly a school of crappies.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Well here in southeastern mass. the ice is almost gone will be hunting down them crappies after ice out in the boat. ;D Gonna get cold towards the night though brrrrrrrrrr :'(

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2004, 07:56 AM »
Anyone out there an ice-out Crappie fisherman? The Crappie have seemed to be dusk to night biters in the coves, bays and weedy areas the last few weeks. Anyone find this same pattern continues after ice out?

See if there are any Crappy posts on the wet water fishing companion to IceShanty. Find it at:

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php

-reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.