The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bozeman Area  (Read 5916 times)

Offline DaileyMan

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bozeman Area
« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:05 AM »
They may be fishing, but they ain't catching, the more people we have enjoying the outdoors the better off we are.  Keep posting, you're only helping not hurting....IMHO

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2011, 09:37 AM »
Well I've read this about 50 times just waiting to get out.  This weekend I will have something to report.  Man I've got it bad this year. 

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:02 AM »
Well Said DaileyMan... X2
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:35 AM »
They may be fishing, but they ain't catching, the more people we have enjoying the outdoors the better off we are.  Keep posting, you're only helping not hurting....IMHO
I'd only ask that the information not draw undue attention to a single area, especially based on exaggerated claims. That is, give an accurate assessment of the typical fish that can be caught and don't hype an area when it is not much better than other places. People will enjoy the outdoors more if they get accurate information. PMs are also a good way to help someone and often result in a new friend.

rg

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Hype for the most part.  If there is a pond around Bozeman, it prob has fish in it.  That shouldn't be a shock to anyone really.  There are no "secret spots" that also happen to be ponds that are in city parks. If you have a private pond then you might just have yourself a little honey hole......  Otherwise all the talk of twenty inch fish caught in city limits has to make me wonder.  Not to say that those fish can't be found in a pond in city limits that any goon can drive up to and with little effort catch, odds are just really low.  And the droopy 5lb old broadstock rainbows that waste away in bozeman ponds are not exactly trophies. 

From interacting with other fisherman I understand that not all twenty inch fish are created equal if you know what i mean. I am even prone to stretch the truth a little or a lot when called for.  I remember fishing for trout at CF a couple years ago and seeing people go bannanas over their 4lb trout, which was more like a typical silos 2 pounder that comes out of there all the time.  So if you are gaga for twenty in trout, and who isn't, most days a drive to canyon ferry or some similar lake is going to improve your odds tenfold or more.

The opportunity cost of fishing in town is pretty low compared to other places and that is why it's ok to enjoy the smaller fish when fishing in town. 

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 07, 2011, 02:36 PM »
WOW!! Looks like a fire storm started here! I'm partially to blame I suppose, but such is life. Just keep fishing...be dedicated to your craft, and you will catch what you are after.  Right now I could care less about a 20" bow, I want some 20" walleye...

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Dec 07, 2011, 08:48 PM »
I think fish with clipped fins and tails worn to a nub would look great on the wall. 

I don't fish the mall pond much, I've caught dinker largemouth out of there, but surprisingly large perch from time to time.  No 11 inch sunnies though, but PLENTY of 10" stocker rainbows.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:42 PM »
Its a payoff.  I fish around town for the convenience, not for huge fish. Its just good to get out. I don't care about size here.

By the way, you guys are wrong about the elk. Best elk hunting is right on campus. Shot a 10x10 last year in front of the SUB. Cute sorority girl helped me gut it.

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:07 PM »
Right now I could care less about a 20" bow, I want some 20" walleye...

AMEN!  :thumbsup:
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline fishinggirlmt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:02 PM »
has anyone tried the river rock pond?  I wonder if there are even fish in there

Offline iceholer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:21 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
when hell freezes over ill ice fish there to

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:00 PM »
River Rock has got some small mouth bass, not too big over all.  Not sure how thick the ice gets, there's signs out saying to stay off due to thin ice. Then again, it's across the street from the school and they could be trying to prevent any possible catastrophes.  I'd hate for my daughter to go through.                                                                                                                                                                                               Also, catch and release.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:26 PM »
I have heard they kick people off ice fishing at river Rock.

Offline pikeassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:55 AM »
I have heard they kick people off ice fishing at river Rock.

Yup...used to live out there and I heard the same thing.

Offline DarkFalcon429

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:25 AM »
Im headed out to the oak street ponds probably on sunday. Anyone who is interested feel free to join me. and any little tips on where to set up is appreciated.

See you on the ice

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Anywhere on the second pond will produce with wax worms

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:28 AM »
So if a guy wanted to catch suckers for ling bait which pond would you go to?  I heard a few guys speak of catching suckers in the Oak/ Davis street ponds and I need to get my kids out on the ice for a shake down run.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:19 AM »
I would fish the valley west ponds for suckers.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:52 AM »
At the risk of hotspotting someone's favorite sucker pond ;), where is valley west?

I catch them out at the farthest Oak Street pond. They are soft biters.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:29 AM »
South side of fergueson. Kind of behind the ridge

Offline fisherman 4 life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 15, 2011, 04:07 PM »
What all is in the valley west pond and is there usually other people ice fishing there

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Judas Priest!!! 3 tiny perch, 15 12"-14" bows, no bass, no suckers, and a partridge in a pear tree. Go Bozeman Beach! ???

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:49 PM »
BTW...tried the partridge, wasn't any good. Maybe I'll use it again on CF for pike!! :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.