The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bozeman Area  (Read 5922 times)

Offline DarkFalcon429

• IceShanty Rookie
Bozeman Area
« on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Just moved to bozo late last winter and didn't really have a chance to explore the ice much. Any info on where to go outside of Hyalite ( that was my go to last year) would be great.

Also heard there was some good smallmouth fishing at the three forks area ponds. any info on that would be awesome.

Thanks

Offline frostylemonade

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bozeman Area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2011, 10:31 PM »
The 2 ponds in town are always fun to hit - the mall pond and bozeman beach (near walmart)

Stocked trout in both, and bass.  great for when you dont want to drive anywhere/dont have long to fish

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2011, 12:09 PM »
Cattail Pond off of Davis is nice for big rainbows, the Bozeman Beach off of Griffin is a sure bet for a fun day of fishing, and the mall pond is great for some 10-11 inch bluegill. Hope to see ya out soon.

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2011, 01:38 PM »
any one fishing the ponds yet?

Offline flyfishbowhunticefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Yeah...ive hit most of them..fishing red hot...but bring your safety picks!
Y'all catchin?

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2011, 02:36 PM »
Teters, you've fished Cattail pond and caught fish? There was a couple discussions last year about that pond and noone had fished it, or they hadn't had any luck on it. The fwp would probably be interested in your catches. Last year one of them told me to let them know what and if I caught anything if I fished it.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2011, 03:38 PM »
Awesome out on Cattail!  Summer and winter I have caught fish. Black Friday a guy came down to the store here and showed me a pic of about a 20 inch rainbow. Last year I caught one close to the same size. Summer time I've caught multiple fish around 18 inches, all rainbows.

Offline fisherman_chuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2011, 07:47 PM »
How thick is the ice on the ponds?

Offline pikeassasin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2011, 08:25 AM »
DarkFalcon-
Although not really close to Bozeman, Hebgen is a solid bet for some hog rainbows. The ones I was pulling out a couple years ago were averaging two or three pounds. A bit of a drive, but well worth it.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Don't forget about Harrison.  Closer than Hebgen, and outstanding ice fishing for big bows!  As for Hebgen, HUGE fish!! After talking with a fisheries biologist, you could see close to a state record coming out of there. Take it for what it's worth, but I was told that there are 2 browns tagged weighing over 25#...That is just ridiculous!!! I've caught some big browns and bows, but not close to that size. Have fun getting that through your icehole!

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2011, 01:20 AM »
harrison also has some nice browns  Everytime I fish there in the summer I wonder why i don't fish it more in the winter.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:56 AM »
Bozeman beach is starting to fire off!!! Perch are biting quite well, although none to big yet. Once this cold spell settles in I'll fish it hard core...More than likely on Sunday.  I'm hoping to get there early, so if anyone is game, maybe I'll see some of ya. I'll be the guy making coffee and soup and various other warm goods. Maybe even a fish fry if I get into a good school of those perch. Despite what people say, there are still some good sized ones in that thing. 10+ inches...

Offline fishin247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2011, 09:36 PM »
So how deep does catail get?  Are you fishing thru the ice anywhere in particular?

Offline DarkFalcon429

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info so far.

What are the perch hitting on the bozeman beach?

And any info on the ponds in three forks?

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 02, 2011, 01:27 AM »
the old lanfill is right next door to the bozeman beach, so eat the fish out of there at your own peril...

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2011, 12:29 PM »
Awesome out on Cattail!  Summer and winter I have caught fish. Black Friday a guy came down to the store here and showed me a pic of about a 20 inch rainbow. Last year I caught one close to the same size. Summer time I've caught multiple fish around 18 inches, all rainbows.
Not sure what to believe if you are also claiming 11" gills out of the mall pond since that would be the state record, but I do know that a small pond 10 minutes from 40,000 people is not going to have 20" rainbows in it for very long if you tell everyone about it. I *used* to see some very nice fish in the the Oak street ponds but for some reason they aren't there anymore. Gee, I wonder why. Anyway, be considerate of others and tone down the reports a bit.

Oh, and feel free to email me what part of the pond you are catching these fish at and what you are using ;)

Rob

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2011, 01:13 PM »
As for cattail, it's catch and release. As for the bozeman beach, it was a landfill long before I was born, over 30 years ago and has been cleaned up well. There are no fish consumption warnings like canyon ferry or hauser or hebgen or many other lakes around.  Now for the mall, big gills! Larger than a pie plate many times have been caught.  But I won't get caught up in B.S. I just want to fish and want all of you to fish and be successful. That's the point right?! Be safe, have fun, catch fish.  Good luck guys! Maybe I'll see some of you around out there.
BTW, small glow jigs like zimmer water rats tipped with maggots, crawler chunks, or meal worms are my go to unless I'm using plastics like a shrimpo or ratso.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2011, 01:45 PM »
You don't have to keep everything to yourself, but people would be better served if you gave them reasonable expectations starting with the typical size of fish. I know of 10 pound rainbows being caught out of the mall pond (old finless brood stock from the hatcheries - don't know if they still plant those), but if asked I'd be doing a disservice if I told anyone to expect catching anything over 10" cookie cutter rainbow there.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:05 PM »
I agree with Rob...the reports/questions on the bozo area are getting out of hand. Concerns about ice thickness and fish caught are one thing...but advertising the places like some folks are doing is ridiculous. Truth is ive landed a dozen fish over 20" within city limits in the past two weeks. Don't ask me where bc I wont say...but do your homework. Get off the computer and on a lake and see what happens. You might be rewarded with a few fish! Personally I think this website is making for some lazy fishermen....but thats just me talkin as I freeze my but off with wet left hand. That means I'm fishing at the moment for u guys who are just waiting for sure fire reports and haven't been out yet.
Y'all catchin?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I forgot to mention the 2lb grayling!  ;D
Y'all catchin?

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:20 PM »
Just for the record, sorry for coming off so arrogant on my last post. Like I said before, I just want all of us to be safe, have fun, and catch fish.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:56 PM »
No problem on my end. See you on the ice.

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:15 AM »
loose lips sink ships, but i'm all ears.

Offline Jberg440

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Are you guys this loose lipped with elk spots? if so please PM me GPS cords.  ;)2
The man banging on the door yelled "Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms"... I just assumed it was more supplies.

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Are you guys this loose lipped with elk spots? if so please PM me GPS cords.  ;)2

They've been bedding down on the sides of the Berkeley pit after feeding in town. Last year I shot a 7 point in the morning and spent the afternoon catching 20-23" perch out of the pit.

Offline Fishman Teters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2011, 01:31 PM »
I thought it was a 27'' perch, and an 8x10 bull scoring in the 500's. Man, am I mis-informed or what?!

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2011, 03:39 PM »
I thought it was a 27'' perch, and an 8x10 bull scoring in the 500's. Man, am I mis-informed or what?!
Chriminy's sake, are you trying to get everybody there? The Berkeley pit is good, but not that good.

Offline Lost River

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2011, 11:47 PM »
I've done the beach the last two years, very small perch...no keepers for me anyway, but still a good time.

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:36 AM »
around town is good for a couple of hours of dinking around...  I am looking foreward to Ft Peck this year, that is where the monsters live

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Another thing with the internet scouting, look how many views this thread has compared to the # of posts, don't be suprised if you go to your now advertised honey hole and find a dozen idiots...I use the term idiot loosely, mostly anybody I see, we've all been generous, told somebody were to go, what to use, only to show up at the spot, and they've brought the family and their inlaws!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.