Author Topic: Fat Tire Bikes for Ice Fishing  (Read 7819 times)

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
Fat Tire Bikes for Ice Fishing
« on: Dec 15, 2015, 01:51 PM »

So living in Iowa City, "Fat Bikes" are becoming more and more popular for their multi-use and multi-surface abilities. It wasn't until earlier today while talking about them with a coworker that it hit me. Why not use a fat tire bike to pull my "Smitty Sled" (...Thanks Smitty) across the lake? Now I know what you're thinking... "Get an ATV Joe." But what I'm thinking is weight, maintenance, and cost. Not to mention the idea sounds awesome. I'm thinking this will really open up new areas to fish that walking to would just be out of the question. Anyone know of anybody already doing this? I've found a few videos on YouTube and it seems to work really well.

Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Fat Tire Bikes for Ice Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2015, 01:56 PM »
We used to ride our Mt. bikes on the ice without any spikes or anything.  I have lumps on my head still-- ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2015, 02:01 PM »
MEC sells studded snow tired for bikes.  I think in deeper snow the bike would not roll well and you might find it very frustrating.  If I had a bike like that i might try it but I would not buy a bike to see of that works.  Last year even snow mobiles were getting stuck just from stopping off trail.

Offline DoctorPerch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2015, 07:34 PM »
Slayer,  that explains a lot of things about your behavior!  😃😃😃

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2015, 01:31 PM »
Slayer,  that explains a lot of things about your behavior!  😃😃😃

Bwahahahaha!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2015, 01:37 PM »
I've looked at fat tire bikes for a winter bike. Hadn't ever considered that but if it worked it would sure sweeten the deal

Offline j_shoe99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2015, 12:32 PM »
I owned a fat bike for a year or two, and also contemplated using it for ice fishing.

I never actually tried it, because of the pulling weight/drag was way too much in my opinion. 

Problems:
1.  If it's glare ice, you have no traction, and you're liking falling alot.
2.  If there is snow, for traction, my sled(*) drag was too great.  If you pulled a light, light sled with minimal gear (and/or on skis), it likely would work, assuming you rig up something so the rope wouldn't get caught in your rear wheel/gears.

The only thing I could think of was some sort of "back pack" system to carry my gear, but never really pursued it.

*EDIT: I owned a heavy-ass 2man flipover shack at the time, so there was no way I could pull it on a bike.

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2015, 01:45 PM »
I owned a fat bike for a year or two, and also contemplated using it for ice fishing.

I never actually tried it, because of the pulling weight/drag was way too much in my opinion. 

Problems:
1.  If it's glare ice, you have no traction, and you're liking falling alot.
2.  If there is snow, for traction, my sled(*) drag was too great.  If you pulled a light, light sled with minimal gear (and/or on skis), it likely would work, assuming you rig up something so the rope wouldn't get caught in your rear wheel/gears.

The only thing I could think of was some sort of "back pack" system to carry my gear, but never really pursued it.

*EDIT: I owned a heavy-ass 2man flipover shack at the time, so there was no way I could pull it on a bike.

Thanks for the feedback.
Questions for you.
Glare Ice, I know they make studded tires for these things. While not perfect, it sure would help. https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/45nrth-dillinger-studded-fat-bike-tire-folding
As far as the weight, have you ever checked out a "Smitty" sled? http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=103927.0
I understand where your concerns are about weight, but the sled makes all the difference.
Also, on the rigging, the video has pvc pipe over the rope in order to keep the line straight. Also to help when slowing/stopping I assume.

Just all thoughts here. Was looking at selling my touring bike for one of these fat bikes and trying to convince myself with all of it's uses.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline j_shoe99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2015, 02:49 PM »
Here's some feedback from my buddy on the subject, who is also a huge cycling fanatic....
"Itd be Good for scouting, but if there is more than 3 inches of snow, need studs, and no pulling shack."
"Generally with any amount of snow, pulling anything, you could just walk nearly as fast"
"Here(in North Dakota) would be ok because we get very little snow and it usually blows off because it's all so dry and windy.  In WI it'd be more difficult due to snow."

I'm all for buying new bikes for any special occasion, but I just found it to be more work/stress than I wanted to deal with to bring it ice fishing.  I'd also have to load my bike rack on my hitch for Winter, and haul my steel fat bike on the road-salt-covered highways of WI, until I go to the boat launch, which didn't thrill me.  I'd prefer to not prematurely rust-up my expensive fat bike/parts.

If you lived on a lake, or could bike from your house, it might be a better bet.

Fat bikes are super FUN to ride, even year round!  I'd recommend taking one out for a demo soon.  It might make up your mind pretty quickly.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2015, 03:36 PM »
There's a guy in my neck of the woods that uses one of those minibikes that Tractor Supply sells with the 5 hp Briggs and Stratton and the big balloon tires, he has the tires all studded up and a rigid hitch for his flip. It must be relatively light because he just picked it off his tailgate and put it on the ground. Thought it looked pretty cool... till I seen him go ass over kneecap dumping his flip and all his gear all over the ice a few hundred feet from the launch.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.