Author Topic: where to find the big ones?  (Read 4844 times)

wick

where to find the big ones?
« on: Feb 05, 2003, 04:27 PM »
Ive cought alot of bluegills over the past few weekends but never seem to find the big ones. What is the general depth that you find big gills. I remember last year i was fishing deep and cought a few nice gills but i cant remember the depth. Do gills go in or on the edge of weed beds?  Thanks for any info ;D

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
Re: where to find the big ones?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2003, 01:57 AM »
First you need a lake with big slabs in it then
I drill holes until I find the school of slabs, Big gills can be found anywhere on a given lake; deep, shallow, suspended. I prefer to fish shallow so I look shallow. Prime areas are weed edges, holes, and structure. Gills can change their pattern in the blink of an eye. When you find a school of little ones in weeds, drill the area out throughly the big boys may be close by.

-Scott
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2003, 09:12 AM »
When you find little ones you may have also found pigs.  If I start catching a bunch of little dinks I don't move right away.  I don't sit there all day either.  Little gills eat just about any thing you dish out, and that's great when you're 5.  If you want to catch momma gill in the midst of her young....KEEP YOUR BAIT/LURE MOVING!  The constant movement seems to intimidate the dinks, but it just pi**'s the big ones off.  I usually start with slow methodical 3-4in bobs of the rod(this imitates the move ment of fresh water shrimp and daphnea).  If that doesn't work then I speed things up a bit with short 1-2in twiches of the rod tip(hang onto your rod though they usually hammer it on this one).  Small, light jigs work good for a lift and fall technique.  Lift the rod about a foot or two and drop the rod back to its original spot; WATCH your line on this one!If none of these things work "Carry on my wayward son there will be fish when the day is done!"  

Just my .02.  Hope it helps.

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2003, 06:17 PM »
the lift n drop technique works well for both gills and crappie going small also helps. ive found gills in weeds, along edges, shallow, deep it all depends what lake you are on ussually i try to fish 8-12 ft for gills unless your in a shallow area with weeds then there ussually in there too 3ft or deeper
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2003, 12:13 PM »
Sometimes when I am catching the smaller gills and I just cant seem to get the bigger ones I sometimes just move just a little bit deeper water. For example I just may move out 20-30 feet and this seems to work sometimes.

Danimal

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2003, 06:36 AM »
If catchingsmaller gills in shallower water I try to mve slightly deeper. I fish alot of strip pits & this can mean moving only 5 feet in a specific direction(the drop offs are that steep). I would also try a larger bait as opposed to down sizing.

Offline daffydone

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just gotta find some ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2004, 06:14 PM »
I have found just moving five feet in either direction can make a world of difference when I am on the little dinks.
if your not walking on water, then you're not icefishing!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:43 AM »
Alright k Germ needs some serious advice..I need to expand my fishing just a bit to give me some flex on what i want to fish. Now just so you know i Live in Canada on Lake Simcoe Prime for its Perch and Pike and Lakers and Whitefish..In the summer Months Sunfish blue gills and pumpkinseed allover the place. harder to catch perch in summer then in winter. Anyhow i would like to be more diverse in fishing so please give me some advice for fishing for Sunfish as iv;e only caught one while Ice fishing....what do i use for bait lures ect and what depth is good should i hit weed beds and all that please share!
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

eriediver

« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:04 PM »
IF YOU NEED SOMEBODY TO COME UP THERE AND SHOW YOU HOW TO CATCH BLUEGILLS INSTEAD OF PERCH AND LAKERS, THEN I AM THE MAN!.  WHENEVER I WANT TO CATCH PERCH AND TROUT ALL I CATCH IS BLUEGILLS :( REALLY ALL YOU NEED IS TEARDROPS,  MAGGOTTS AND WAX WORMS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.