Utah > Ice Fishing Utah

A Berry good tell #2

(1/8) > >>

muskyon46:
Well the berry has treated us very well for the 2nd time in 2018, I must give thanks to Dubob for turning me onto the spring berry bite. It has been a blast the last 2 years and plan on many more to come. We arrived to a chilly -10 and got out to the chosen spot. Started out fishing in 54fow and ended up in 24fow by the end of the day. The best fishing was 24-26fow. Between myself and skunkedagain we pulled around 30 fish. My biggest was only around 19in but skunked pulled an impressive 27in bow thru a 6in hole. This was definately a 2 man job getting that beast out. Orange/white jigs tipped with waxies worked for us all day. I did switch to a smaller jig later in the day when the fish got a bit more selective in the same colors and did well with it also. Most the ice was around 12-14in with up to 10-12in of snow on it in most places. We only hit a couple of slush pockets going in and out past haws point into renegade area, but nothing of much concern YET! The pressure ridge off haws is easily passable if you just follow the trails over it. We didnt hit any slush from the marina to haws. There were wheelers and sleds out on the hard deck. As all you spring berry ice fishers know it will only get worse. Get some in while you can! Now for the good stuff, I'll start it off with the best one Skunkedagains 27in

And then the smaller fishies

and of course some scenery shots, skunkedagain even got to put the newly traded for this year flip-up up to get out of the blazing sun that was upon us most of the day. I really need to start bringin sun block on these spring trips as I'm a bit red in the face today

Tightlines everyone and be safe on this spring time ice

Hutbomber:
Wow Matt, look like a great day! Thanks for sharing the report and the pictures.

muskyon46:
It was a great day, should put jeff in 1st place for bows on the online tourney with only 4 days left till it ends  :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:

BFTSkunkedAgain:
Thank you Matt, was a great day.... But for the rest of the story Matt 24 fish Jeff 6.... Good thing the big brother fish found my lure or I would have had a slow day compared to the master... Ole Matt sure can pick the spots... I started off in the hot spot and got out to a 3-0 start and from there on Matt moved and it was a Matt show... as he picked two hot spots that had fish rolling through all day, even though it got harder to make them bite later in the day...

I think yesterday was about as good of conditions as you can get on the ice, other than it was a little hard to keep things working in the bitter cold in the AM... Seemed like we had reel, line and eye freeze up issues in the morning and got lots of practice cleaning the ice from our holes, but after 11:00 it really cleared up nice... Usually spring ice fishing doesn't have the cold issues we had in the morning, but it gave us an all season feel for the day... Fun times and sunburn to boot... Later J

dubob:
DAMN!  Should have gone to the Berry yesterday instead of East Canyon.  Big Earl (6) and I (5) only pulled in 11.  10 were bows and I nailed this nice Russian Brown trout (?).   ;D

Oh, and here's my bigest bow for the day.

Next week, we'll do the Berry again for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version