Author Topic: Shanty Lighting???  (Read 11331 times)

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
Re: Shanty Lighting???
« Reply #30 on: Sep 06, 2008, 09:54 PM »
thats a good idea mud.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #31 on: Sep 08, 2008, 01:23 PM »
It's a Fish Trap Pro. PVC? Interesting ;D can wait to see it... I also was checking out a Holegen Utility light (55Watts) at Wally World??? They do get pretty hot, don't they? Still mulling this lighting issue over ???
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #32 on: Sep 08, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Seeing your post when I got home from work, I went out to the garage and started building. I didn't have any PVC around, but I do have conduit. I cut a piece 5' long and installed 9 LEDs. I soldered all the connections so that bouncing around on the quad or in the truck wouldn't affect them. I put about an 8' cord and a lighter socket on the end.

It sure lit up the garage nicely. They are a little brighter than the photo show. I am very impressed and pleased with my decision.

These lights were Oznium Prewired Superflux 4 Chip LEDs for about $2.00 each.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #33 on: Sep 08, 2008, 06:52 PM »
Glad to be of help mud_n_fun.  ;D

From the pic of the garage door, they look to be a clean white color. If they have a touch of blue in them, it doesn't show.

Today at work we did a rear camera install on one of those scrolling sign advertisement trucks. Essentially a box truck with the sides and rear turned into windows for the scrolling ads. The backlighting for the signs at night (essentially the whole interior gets lit) were 3' or 4' clear lexan tubes with fairly dense LED strips enclosed, mounted end to end in rows on the ceiling like typical fluorescent lighting would be. Needless to say, they worked quite well. I may call the advertising group that owns the truck to see where it was outfitted. 

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Sep 08, 2008, 07:21 PM »
Thanks again trooper.  It's good clean white light and after blocking 3 of them off and moving it back to a distance of 4-6 feet I think 6 LEDs would be perfect for anyone. I just like overkill. ;D

Trooper Bri

« Reply #35 on: Sep 08, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Ahhh. Overkill. The American way.  ;)

Now you got me going. I just have a humble Frabill Recon, but i may have to install 4 of those for s&g's. Sink em' right in the roof bows and run the wiring down and out the conduit. Hmmmmm.

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Sep 08, 2008, 08:17 PM »
mud n fun that lighting seems pretty nice.....i think i might try to do that with my 4x8 ice shack i got now and use a piece of pvc since it would be one of my support beems....i have a coleman duel fuel lantern that works just fine i dont know wat some of these guys are talking about i havent had any problems with mine at all....i just saw what you did there and that would be a lot better and id also have more room in my shack because i would elminate my lantern....very nice...

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2008, 08:40 PM »
mud_n_fun, awesome job! The type you bought, could I mount six of them in a 3' piece of PVC? How did you secure each bulb in place in the conduit? If doable I could ditch the lantern as poot said, saving weight and bulk... again, awesome job!   :clap:
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Sep 08, 2008, 09:28 PM »
coleman makes lights for camping tents that take 4 AA batteries and have key chain remotes w/ on/off.  dont have one but i dont think they would be as bright as a propane lantern.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2008, 12:45 PM »
Thank you Thomas Edison, Mud, and Bobb-o ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline bobb-o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team IceAult
« Reply #40 on: Sep 09, 2008, 01:45 PM »
hey guys i will get some pics up in a little bit, i just finished installing a new LED system in a new fishhouse i got, and it is definitely the way to go. got the LED strip off of ebay. a smaller strip runs around $15, is compact and never needs to be taken out of the fishhouse. rigged this up with the wires running down the pole and under the bench, then into a light switch, so when i am fishing the shallow water night bite i can turn the lights on and off as i please
IBOT Minister of Information

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Sep 09, 2008, 04:08 PM »
mud_n_fun, awesome job! The type you bought, could I mount six of them in a 3' piece of PVC? How did you secure each bulb in place in the conduit? If doable I could ditch the lantern as poot said, saving weight and bulk... again, awesome job!   :clap:

I used 3/4 " conduit because there is an inline resister I had to feed through the hole. I drilled the hole slightly larger than the base of the LED since it has a collar on it. I haven't done it yet but after I paint the rod I will afix them with hot glue. And 6 in a 3' chunk would work great.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #42 on: Sep 09, 2008, 05:33 PM »
mud_n_fun,  Thanks!  This may be the ticket!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Sep 10, 2008, 05:36 PM »
I have a Fishtrap Scout. I took a hair band from my daughters collection of like 5000 she has:

Then put a LED UFO style light and clipped it on. Lights up whole shanty:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Sep 10, 2008, 05:45 PM »
E.T., Is that you? ;D

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Sep 10, 2008, 06:59 PM »
very nice zamboni....i like it a lot but i have a homeade 4X8 pop up and i think im gonna go with mud n funs idea....probably work better for me since i have more area to cover....if i ever get a store bought portable i think i would use that for sure!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #46 on: Sep 10, 2008, 07:50 PM »
go to oznium.com you can get a ton of led strips they are bright and cheap

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #47 on: Sep 10, 2008, 08:09 PM »
Zamboni, Are the batteries inside of the light or do you need external power??
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bobb-o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team IceAult
« Reply #48 on: Sep 10, 2008, 11:50 PM »
here are those pics of my lighting system

under tub storage with wiring and light switch:

and here are the LED strips:

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Sep 11, 2008, 07:42 AM »
where did you say you got those LED strips?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #50 on: Sep 11, 2008, 08:12 AM »
hey guys i will get some pics up in a little bit, i just finished installing a new LED system in a new fishhouse i got, and it is definitely the way to go. got the LED strip off of ebay. a smaller strip runs around $15, is compact and never needs to be taken out of the fishhouse. rigged this up with the wires running down the pole and under the bench, then into a light switch, so when i am fishing the shallow water night bite i can turn the lights on and off as i please

On ebay!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Sep 11, 2008, 08:24 AM »
One other thought that might be worth it to some is I used a simple compact fluorescent bulb and a booster pack with attached 400 watt inverter   plenty of light and was still going strong when I packed up to go home   At walmart they now sell LED spotlights also 110 vt. I'm impressed with the light output too       I had over 8 hrs of light with the compact fluorescent   that pulled 15 watts  theses new floodlights I believe only pulled 2 watts  so plenty of run time    that light was installed in a plain ol clip on lamp holder  with metal reflector
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Sep 11, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Zamboni, Are the batteries inside of the light or do you need external power??

Right inside. 2 "AA"s. Last a LONG TIME. Ebay has a ton of these style LEDs, do a search for LED UFO. They have some on there with SIXTY lights in them.

Offline bobb-o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team IceAult
« Reply #53 on: Sep 11, 2008, 09:45 AM »
also look at the sporting goods stores near you for the types of light zamboni has, HT Enterprises makes them and sells them as an ice fishing accessory. They typically run aboot $6-10. my bro has one of them for his house and i rigged him up a broom clip that i riveted to a metal plate that he can leave in the house, their are magnets in the back of the light. This helped eliminate the swaying of the light whenever there is a breeze.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Sep 11, 2008, 04:13 PM »
I bought mine at Fleet Farm

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #55 on: Sep 13, 2008, 06:13 PM »
I am such a caveman.... uhh...uhh... Fire make light, good light...big fire ;D
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #56 on: Sep 13, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Right inside. 2 "AA"s. Last a LONG TIME. Ebay has a ton of these style LEDs, do a search for LED UFO. They have some on there with SIXTY lights in them.

I have one with 60 leds on the way. :D  Gonna head out tomorrow morning and pop some perch while I'm waiting for it. ;)

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Sep 14, 2008, 05:43 PM »
I have one with 60 leds on the way. :D  Gonna head out tomorrow morning and pop some perch while I'm waiting for it. ;)

My fave perch spot from last winter where we averaged 14" perch froze out later in the winter, I am bummed. Perch were the only thing in there and one hit his bait and pulled his red n reel under and took off with it. Thats how big those perch were

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Sep 14, 2008, 06:25 PM »
theres always the classic white strand of christmas tree lights,  then you could put them on the outside during the days around christmas.  :-[

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #59 on: Sep 14, 2008, 07:04 PM »
My fave perch spot from last winter where we averaged 14" perch froze out later in the winter, I am bummed. Perch were the only thing in there and one hit his bait and pulled his red n reel under and took off with it. Thats how big those perch were

I was going to go to a small Perch slough today and I found out that it is really being pounded at this time. I prefer to stay away from the hordes of meat hog fishermen. I took my 14 foot Lund to one of the local lakes and let the wind blow me aroung for a while.  :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.