Author Topic: Traction  (Read 2371 times)

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Traction
« on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:31 PM »
The weather for everyone has been frustrating. No ice, slow ice, sleet, rain, snow...

Right now we've gone through snow and sleet. The unmaintained roads into most of the local lakes have been covered in snow, rained on, packed down, and then glazed over with anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 inch of frozen rain. I've got new tires on my K1500 and though I can move, I'm feel like I'm spinning my wheels. There won't be any sand or gravel put down, so I'm wondering about chains to keep the slipping and sliding to a minimum.

Honestly, I haven't seen any on a vehicle since the late 70s around here. Gone like the studded tire.

Anyone still use 'em?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Traction
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:53 PM »
You don't see chains because most places have ordinances against using chains on non emergency vehicles because they can and do tear up the roads... especially blacktop. But heck they sound like they would work great for getting down those back roads to lakes. Around here you see a lot of delivery trucks and semis with sets of chains hanging ready to put on, but that's all they can do- put them on to get themselves unstuck or if they are caught in a "hazardous weather situation" and then they have to take them back off. Out running backroads I doubt you would ever get noticed or in any sort of trouble... but probably best to check your states regs. Here in Iowa like I said, chains are only legal to get yourself unstuck or during hazardous weather and cannot be leaving any damage to roadways... local cities all ban them.

Studded tires are legal in most states during the winter months, again local cities/towns can ban them if they want.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:56 PM »
Here you go, looks like you are good to go for ice
https://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=60-6,250

(section c)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 12:13 AM »
Thanks Kev. I know they're legal, and I'm not intending to use them on pavement.

What I want is real life input. I don't see having to put them on for more than a half mile drive in and out in this situation, but that might change into a mile or more, depending on the lake.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:13 AM »
I seem to recall reading something about them being mandatory on some of the passes in Colorado.  Might find some more experienced users on the CO board.  You've definitely got me thinking now. 

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:24 AM »
I wouldn't do what you intend to without a set.  A set of chains will get you in and out of places others fear to tread even with two wheel drive.  Cheap insurance if you need them, eat nothing if you never take them out of the box.  On the other hand, if you're stuck with a set of chains you're on your own.....better have jacks, etc.  Practice putting them on before you need them and yes you will need the "Stretchers".  When I was in Oregon "Cable Chains" were popular. 
  I'd go with the most aggressive V-link chain available if I were you.  https://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Glacier/PWH3829SC.html   With a little practice, tricks and tips, and experience they don't take long to put on and get you rolling.  Best practice is to put them on before you think you're going to need them.  Much easier that way............

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:46 AM »
We run chains when we are chasing coyotes with dogs. Wouldn't go in the woods in the winter without them.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 10:58 AM »
Chuck,
It’s not just the passes, and it’s not just for commercial vehicles. The chain law can be enacted whenever roads are determined to be unsafe due to wind, snow, or ice. Even four-wheel drive vehicles can be required to chain up if the roads are covered in deep snow and ice, and some commercial vehicles are required to carry chains from September to the end of May. The laws are very specific as to when and where chains are required, and there are stiff fines for non-compliance. Weather out here is very unpredictable, and for safety and other reasons I’m glad the rules are in place and enforced.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2019, 11:25 AM »
I use a set with ice bars on them to go the places I shouldn't .  Kevin its legal in Iowa when safety conditions apply.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:14 PM »
I use a set with ice bars on them to go the places I shouldn't .  Kevin its legal in Iowa when safety conditions apply.

Like I said, only legal during hazardous weather situations. And you are responsible for damage caused to roadways. Highway patrol will pull you right over if the road is not completely snow covered when you are using them.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:36 PM »
I don't hardly go anywhere without chains year round. I figure if I already own them it doesn't cost me anything to have them in my pickup toolbox. We use them pretty regularly where we fish, because its a long uphill drive in there, and more importantly its a long downhill drive out. When the blacktop is glassed over there is no amount of plowing that will clear it up. I look at it as a safety factor more than anything, they let me stop, turn and accelerate on icy roads where I know hitting the brakes would just send me into the ditch without. They save our behinds this year elk hunting, with a trailer full of horses i'd have been over the edge without them, and saw plenty of wrecks from those that tried to make it without them.
Two notes though; first, they don't make you invincible, you have to use your head and also know if its a situation you should avoid entirely, or one that you'll be ok, just need to chain up. Second, if you think you're gonna need them, put them on at the best spot you can before you get to the bad stuff. Its a minor pain in the butt to chain up in a pullout on level ground where you can drive over your chains. its a ROYAL pain (and dangerous) to put them on when you're stuck, hanging off the edge and have to jack up your pickup to get them on. 
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:03 PM »
Make sure and check that you have ample clearance to use chains. Many of the newer trucks don't, and as a result you can do some serious damage in the blink of an eye.

WS

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:11 PM »
We use chains here and there and have some situations that require chains to get in and out of some places while hunting. Have had to out some on when I buried the truck with the 35 foot gooseneck camper hooked on to get out. Some people say always put on the rear tires I always put the first set on the front so that I have control of my steering but if it is only a rear wheel drive vehicle put them where the power goes and make sure you tie any loose chain up so that it does not flip around and rear brake lines and such out while driving. Good luck and if anyone has never put on chains might try and put some on while sitting in a nice warm garage or flat surface so you know what you are doing before hand and it is always easier to put them on before you are stuck bit can be done while stuck just a lot harder to get right and not tear things up. That is my opinion on them.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:58 PM »
I love tire chains and not only for the snow, they work great in gumbo mud as well.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:03 PM »
Chains can really save the day for sure.  I was told by an old timer that if I only had one set of chains and was running four wheel drive I'd put them on the front tires because they will help steer and pull you where you want to go rather than on the rear tires that will be pushing you.  Personally I think the best thing when running four wheel drive it to put the chains on all the tires which is what I do.  Yeah it might take longer and be over kill in some situations but the peace of mind is priceless and you can't have enough traction.  One other thing is make sure you have them tight and the tensioners on properly, if you don't and they come loose they can tear up the undercarriage and body around the wheel wells of your vehicle.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:39 PM »
So when and where do you put them on? Running 25 miles with chains on dry road is clearly out. Stopping on the shoulder before the turn in is dangerous.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:49 PM »
Can you turn onto the road then put them on, I'd use 4 chains.

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 29, 2019, 01:55 AM »
Chuck,
It’s not just the passes, and it’s not just for commercial vehicles. The chain law can be enacted whenever roads are determined to be unsafe due to wind, snow, or ice. Even four-wheel drive vehicles can be required to chain up if the roads are covered in deep snow and ice, and some commercial vehicles are required to carry chains from September to the end of May. The laws are very specific as to when and where chains are required, and there are stiff fines for non-compliance. Weather out here is very unpredictable, and for safety and other reasons I’m glad the rules are in place and enforced.

Thanks for the clarification skifisher.   I think I'm in the market for a set.  Any brands that anyone recommends or ones to stay away from? 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 29, 2019, 08:24 AM »
Funny how almost everyone who answered is from the midwest. I pull a trailer all over Northern Maine, VT and NH thousands of miles all winter long and not once have I ever wished I had a set of chains on me. I always wondered why they have mandatory chain use out there, but we don't here? Just curious is all. We have some big mountain passes and bad weather here in Northern New England that's for sure.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Funny how almost everyone who answered is from the midwest. I pull a trailer all over Northern Maine, VT and NH thousands of miles all winter long and not once have I ever wished I had a set of chains on me. I always wondered why they have mandatory chain use out there, but we don't here? Just curious is all. We have some big mountain passes and bad weather here in Northern New England that's for sure.
Ice, Ice, baby........

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:22 AM »
I've only seen chain requirement signs in the mountain states. 

I got stuck on the lake on Friday when I was pulling out, pulling my 10 foot ice house.  Doesn't take much snow, it was about 1 foot deep in drifts.  Much of the lake is less snow and you can get through it.  I had to dig the tires out.   

Went back on Saturday and lots of people were getting stuck, nothing serious and lots of other people all around fishing, just a pain.  I am now interested in chains for driving on the lake only, especially with the shack I bought last week. 

My front right and rear left tires seem to be the main drive tires, wondering if putting chains or cables on just those tires would be best approach.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2019, 08:58 AM »
Chains are great and will help a lot, unfortunately on the newer trucks there is not enough clearance between the front tires and wheel wells. So much for 18 and 20 inch wheels.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:03 AM »
I've only seen chain requirement signs in the mountain states. 

I got stuck on the lake on Friday when I was pulling out, pulling my 10 foot ice house.  Doesn't take much snow, it was about 1 foot deep in drifts.  Much of the lake is less snow and you can get through it.  I had to dig the tires out.   

Went back on Saturday and lots of people were getting stuck, nothing serious and lots of other people all around fishing, just a pain.  I am now interested in chains for driving on the lake only, especially with the shack I bought last week. 

My front right and rear left tires seem to be the main drive tires, wondering if putting chains or cables on just those tires would be best approach.
Put chains/ cables on just the front

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:03 AM »
Royal,  No you need to put chains on either both front or both rear.  You have open differentials the wheels with the least traction will spin if you chain one front and one rear those wheels now have more traction and the wheels without chains will spin.  You will gain nothing chaining one wheel per axle.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 03, 2019, 09:51 AM »
Chains are the answer for unmaintained roads where you have ice or very deep snow. I use them on my quad and can push a plow through way more snow. We also use them for the back country hunting, where roads are not maintained at all. They do work on new trucks, but you do need to verify for yourself that the clearance is sufficient. There is some skill in putting them on correctly and tight, so they don't catch and tear something up, so be sure you know what you are doing before you actually need to use them.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 03, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Chains are the answer for unmaintained roads where you have ice or very deep snow. I use them on my quad and can push a plow through way more snow. We also use them for the back country hunting, where roads are not maintained at all. They do work on new trucks, but you do need to verify for yourself that the clearance is sufficient. There is some skill in putting them on correctly and tight, so they don't catch and tear something up, so be sure you know what you are doing before you actually need to use them.
Trick to getting them on tight is to figure out how many links on the back to take up and pulling the chain around on the driving surface of the tire, a loose chain will tear up a lot, come off when you need it or partially come off and pinch brake line off, you can put them on in the driveway to check fit before taking them out in the woods.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:24 PM »
Tire chains, large come a long, several tow chain and a tow strap are in about every truck up here. A good shovel too.  Remember if you have to hook to a tree to pull yourself out, use tow strap around tree to prevent any damage to tree.  Steve

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Tire chains, large come a long, several tow chain and a tow strap are in about every truck up here. A good shovel too.  Remember if you have to hook to a tree to pull yourself out, use tow strap around tree to prevent any damage to tree.  Steve

Yep, I carry all that, plus a hilift jack, great items  to have to help you out if needed.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:44 PM »
If it is just ice you worry about, a bag of sand or kitty litter is a lot simpler way to get out of a slick spot. There are also traction mats that people here carry to get out of a bad spot without chaining up.

Offline SnowPlane22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:48 PM »
I would way rather chain up a pickup than toss a set of triple railers on a big truck!  Stay away from the junk cable chains, nothing like good old fashioned tire iron!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.