Author Topic: Does Anybody Fish The Old Fashioned Way? W Out Gadgets/Electronics  (Read 6124 times)

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
Thanks guys! I have enjoyed reading each and every one of your replies. For starters, I sure do have a smart phone, a TomTom and obviously a computer!! lol - I spend 40 hours a week on one at work.

One guy mentioned that our whole lives are spent with our faces stuck to an electronic screen......Now, even while ice fishing!

Life would be tough without todays devices, and I like most of us depend on them. Should ice fishing be tough without them, and become dependent on them? I guess based on some of the replies here, YES. In fact we could probably start a whole new thread that would read something like this "Would You Ice Fish Without Anything That Requires A Battery" Something tells me about 30% would never do it again! which is fine! Life is about choices anyways, right? And in 2016 we have LOTS of ways to do the same one thing.

Now......Somebody PLEASE explain to me what a flasher is before I Google it!

Thanks!

Flasher"

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-electronics%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/110951280/vexilar-fl-8se-genz-pack-19-176-/1083160.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fice-fishing-electronics%2F_%2FN-1105957%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_110951280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1407986
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
The only negative I have to say about electronics is fishing pressure.  Yes I own every gadget made for ice fishing so I too am guilty.  I worry about the amount of pressure being put on local lakes.  I truly believe a flasher increases an anglers catch rate by many many times.  I have been out fished by a guy without a flasher one time in 10 years.  We were jigging walleyes with raps and bouncing holes.  He out fished all of us with flashers but I will say bouncing a rap off the bottom for walleyes is far different than catching suspended crappies, perch or sunfish.  I don't think this would have happened had we been fishing picky or suspended fish.

As a result of technology I wonder how man more fish are being taken from lakes and how this will effect future fish populations.  I just hope the fish population can keep up with the fancy gadgets making it easier to take them home and eat them. 

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have about $3000 wrapped up into all my gear, which I'm sure is alot less than most! But I don't eat fish! Catch and release, unless my buddy wants em... Or they go on the wall!

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
I don't fish with electronics partly for financial reasons and partially from a "purist" standpoint (as I have posted before elsewhere, I like to get away from the screens that are part of my everyday life). I also agree about the increased fishing pressure, though my local lakes seem to have more of an issue with overpopulation leading to stunted fish. Also, since we brought up deer hunting, I also hunt deer from the ground without trail cameras and use a smoothbore shotgun with only a bead.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrit, I am interested in electronics more and more because my baby girl takes up more and more of my fishing time and is too small to come with yet.

It seems to me that the showdown is the only flasher option below $300 and there are at least a few cameras on the market below that price point. Given the comments in this thread, would it be more economical (or recommended) to get the camera instead in a one-or-the-other situation?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
I don't fish with electronics partly for financial reasons and partially from a "purist" standpoint (as I have posted before elsewhere, I like to get away from the screens that are part of my everyday life). I also agree about the increased fishing pressure, though my local lakes seem to have more of an issue with overpopulation leading to stunted fish. Also, since we brought up deer hunting, I also hunt deer from the ground without trail cameras and use a smoothbore shotgun with only a bead.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrit, I am interested in electronics more and more because my baby girl takes up more and more of my fishing time and is too small to come with yet.

It seems to me that the showdown is the only flasher option below $300 and there are at least a few cameras on the market below that price point. Given the comments in this thread, would it be more economical (or recommended) to get the camera instead in a one-or-the-other situation?

You don't have to spend a fortune for a flasher, check this thread out about the Garmin Striker 4 sonar/flasher/gps unit that sells for between $99-$120:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=323518.msg3407250#msg3407250
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Get the Showdown first, you won't be disappointed with your investment.  I have the Showdown Dual Beam for three years, no problems, and it's simple to use and understand.

Offline EricB86

• Team IceShanty Regular
I started with an FL-8 some 13 years ago. You can find them on sale everywhere for around 250$

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
Get the Showdown first, you won't be disappointed with your investment.  I have the Showdown Dual Beam for three years, no problems, and it's simple to use and understand.

I bought the cheaper version last year. I believe it's the 2.0, for around $200. My first one failed after a few months, but the replacement has been going strong so far. I got tired of watching everybody with flashers out fish me. Like Chris stated, this model is super easy to use, and cheaper than the majority of other ones on the market.

Offline Dean Nelson

• IceShanty Rookie
If you move around alot a flasher is better if your fish tend to be suspended a flasher is better. Now if you tend to set up and stay for longer streches and you are after more bottom fish like perch and eyes and your water is clear a camera is better and more fun.

luv2fish2

" it's the experience's Johnny" sometime's i just like being there with friends and family making memories some of my best times on ice weren't about the the amount or maximizing or efficiency it was being there ( out there ),  so i could go old school if i were spending time making memories . and oh yeah i got 2 huts 2 flashers a snowmobile and a tracked wheeler but most of the time i remember people not how many i caught .i guess as i get older i'm learning a few things  ps i love all the different responses

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Today I learned that ljigging with a flasher = no skill, and dropping some live bait down and waiting for a flag to pop = mad skills.

I jig one hole with electronics and normally have two traps set.  I'm hoping the first trap cancels out the sonar and the second trap puts me in the black?

This thread rocks!
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
This thread does rock!!!! ...........I will say this as quietly as possible (Being The Original Poster)...........But I might look into a flasher!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
I think you would enjoy a flasher. I have some of the oldest ones made. You need not spend a ton of cash to get your toes wet. Minimum level flasher will show bottom and fish but maybe not your jig. This level can be doctored to show the jig too by using a washer on your line a huge jigging rap etc. Right now I'm running a 30-40 yr. old Si-Tex SH-1 which will show bottom, fish and jig. A great starter unit would be a Vexilar SLT. A good price on one of these would be near a hundred. I'm good at finding deals if you need assistance. I have taken flashers on the ice and not used it; but not to many times. I also ice fish without the flasher but not much. A flasher can also be used year round.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think you would enjoy a flasher. I have some of the oldest ones made. You need not spend a ton of cash to get your toes wet. Minimum level flasher will show bottom and fish but maybe not your jig. This level can be doctored to show the jig too by using a washer on your line a huge jigging rap etc. Right now I'm running a 30-40 yr. old Si-Tex SH-1 which will show bottom, fish and jig. A great starter unit would be a Vexilar SLT. A good price on one of these would be near a hundred. I'm good at finding deals if you need assistance. I have taken flashers on the ice and not used it; but not to many times. I also ice fish without the flasher but not much. A flasher can also be used year round.

Thanks Goat - I will surf Ebay today for the SLT you mentioned. The more I read and hear about these things the more I am curious to see what it would be like to own one!
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
No electronics here and my freezer miraculously gets full of tasty panfish every winter. How does that happen without a flasher? You guys can stare at your screens all day. It don't bother me at all. I like the idea of tryin to find them fish on my own. It's the thrill of the chase thing!! Btw, I do use a gas auger and modern equipment. Just no electronics. I'm stubborn, not stupid. One fellow mentioned about the extra pressure they put on lakes. That's an interesting point. I think it does put a lot more people on the ice catching fish and keepin them. These electronics give people who have no clue how to fish, an advantage. It's my choice not to use it cause I don't need it to catch fish. Everybody is entitled to make they'r own choices for they'r own reasons. It is kinda comical to read how butt hurt the flasher guys get when a guy says he likes to fish old school!! Ha ha!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
No electronics here and my freezer miraculously gets full of tasty panfish every winter. How does that happen without a flasher? You guys can stare at your screens all day. It don't bother me at all. I like the idea of tryin to find them fish on my own. It's the thrill of the chase thing!! Btw, I do use a gas auger and modern equipment. Just no electronics. I'm stubborn, not stupid. One fellow mentioned about the extra pressure they put on lakes. That's an interesting point. I think it does put a lot more people on the ice catching fish and keepin them. These electronics give people who have no clue how to fish, an advantage. It's my choice not to use it cause I don't need it to catch fish. Everybody is entitled to make they'r own choices for they'r own reasons. It is kinda comical to read how butt hurt the flasher guys get when a guy says he likes to fish old school!! Ha ha!
                    Same here, but I been looking at them!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.