Author Topic: What were your coldest ice fishing conditions?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What were your coldest ice fishing conditions?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Back when I was in collage it was so cold they cancelled classes -30F (don't know what the wind chill was).  Day off school so me any my friends went fishing.  No heaters, no shelter, just siting on a bucket out in the open.  Pulled in a few perch, but took about 3-4 hours to get the feeling back in my hands after cleaning up and pulling in my tip-ups.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:49 AM »
I'm not interested in a "size comparison" bud, trust me it hit -30. 

CBS said -20 http://www.cbsnews.com/news/thousands-brave-minnesotas-freezing-temps-for-ice-fishing-contest/

And weather measured in one specific area of Brainerd isn't indicative of the same temperature on open water.  -10 with 10 mph winds is -28 on the new charts.

The day after the tourney it was -9 regular temp, it was a crazy cold snap.  43mph gusts  http://climate.umn.edu/doc/journal/arctic_blast1301.htm

Feel free to look at this video and tell me your thoughts.

Offline SlaptheFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The best things in LIFE are done on ICE!!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 12, 2015, 12:25 PM »
-27 and some wind!  Chesterfield, Idaho last year, coldest  I have ever been in, cut right into the bones.

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 12, 2015, 01:53 PM »
-54 ambient. Was in the hardside. Sleds wouldnt start for two days. Put my knee on the seat to grab the pull cord and my leather seat spider webbed.

Offline DFresh75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:28 PM »
I'm going to do a semi-scientific heat measurement in my Otter with a gun the next time its -10 to -20 to see how warm it gets with a heater and without.   Thank god for it!

Offline WildMN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:42 PM »
-15F, thats the reason we have insulated portables.  Big buddy heater and It was an awesome day.

Offline FishShooter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:49 PM »
When I was younger and had no shanty. Out in the open with mad wind. Couldn't stand out there long and kept truck running so we could go warm up after setting tip ups and reeling in fish. Caught a bunch of big gills and a few bass. Got my truck stuck on the way out. Had my girl friend and a buddy with me. They got out and stood on the bumper and got it out.

Trip from hell although makes for a good laugh later over a nice fresh fish dinner! Older and wiser now for sure. 4WD truck and a shanty.
Fish On!

Offline tjb22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:59 PM »
Minus 8 this past Saturday in Torrington Ct at 5:15 when we were setting gear but it warmed up to the positive side once the sun rose.  No wind so no problems.  -13 last year same weekend, same lake and never got above 0 but the bite was on so it was a great day. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:24 PM »
Years ago -50f with the wind chill, first spot I hit was a river that  normally have no safe ice. The first pool I got out on, every hole I cut would fill with slush from the up stream open water (could not drop a line)... To bad, that pool normally holds some nice browns. Next spot was even more in the open, I was getting some smallies on the tip ups and jigging some perch. As soon as I would pull a fish out of the water I could watch the ice form on the out side of it, completely covering it in a second or two... I was releasing the smallies, so I would open my coat and pull them from the water in to my jacket, take the hook out and drop back in the hole. My wife said I smelled even more fishy than normal! This is all with out a shelter or wind break. I was dressed well and stayed mostly warm. The coldest I have "played" out in was with a wind chill of 80 below, riding a bicycle to work (the things we do when we are teens), I was dressed great and the only thing cold on me was my eyes, the water on my eyes would start to freeze and I would close them, then they would freeze shut, and I would have to pop them open again! I love my Clam Scout!

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 12, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Minus 21 degrees at Starvation Reservoir in Utah. Not that bad since the wind wasn't blowing. I have have been fishing in worse when temps are warmer, but wind is blowing harder and snowing or raining hard. I have had shanty blow across the lake a couple of times and that really sucks!

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:00 PM »
18 below for me... took my jacket off after the walk and had icicles growing out of my shoulders from the steam lol that was a fun day. Luckily no wind and when sun came out a great day

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2015, 05:02 PM »
A few years back, -18* ambient temp with a -47* wind chill. Inside the hut probably 60* and toasty. Didn't even go outside to p**! Gave new meaning to "just hold it!"  Lou

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:07 PM »
-15 or so plus 40 mile an hour winds up in Maine a few years ago.  Couldnt even stay warm in the cabin!!
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline th30dd7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Many times in -30 F and wind chills at -50. Not uncommon around here.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #44 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:53 PM »
-32 in the Adirondacks in the late 80s temp that day got up to a whopping -10 fished tipups and no shanty.
Mr.Esox

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:08 PM »
Oneida lake 1977. Ice 3 feet thick. Dad was cooking chili on the Coleman stove, chili was boiling in the pot by time you took a spoonful and put it in your mouth it was cold. Sunglasses froze to my nose when I took them off they peeled the skin off both sides of my nose, ended up getting frostbite on 3 fingers on left hand all for one walleye.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline ADK11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:27 PM »
Oneida lake 1977. Ice 3 feet thick. Dad was cooking chili on the Coleman stove, chili was boiling in the pot by time you took a spoonful and put it in your mouth it was cold. Sunglasses froze to my nose when I took them off they peeled the skin off both sides of my nose, ended up getting frostbite on 3 fingers on left hand all for one walleye.

This is the type of memory that makes a story to tell!
Loving the Adirondacks.

Offline Amos

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Always looking for new fishing experiences.
« Reply #47 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:41 PM »
On Green Bay last year, first day was -19.  a few days later it was -25.  Not bad after we got to the shacks.  Fishing was a little tough though. 
Many tears ago, (1980??) prior to me owning any type of shanty, I fished a small pond when wind chill was -65.  Later went to a lake caught a fish and hands almost froze taking it off the hook.  We left. 
A few years later - we set tip ups in -35 wind chill and watched from my truck.  No fish. 

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Fished last Thursday -20 wind chill 25 mph brutal no shanty

Offline TeamBlueGear

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 13, 2015, 08:14 PM »
Last year had to be one of the coldest winters around here and I was out in about -15F with 25ish mph winds, I was in my Frabill (black hut), sun was very bright and Buddy heater going from the get go. It wasn't too bad, I fished in my Blue suit without the jacket and hoodie on for about 5-7 hours. The walk back took the breath out of you.
Life moves too fast, if you don't stop and look around you just might miss something.....Ferris Buler

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:37 PM »
coldest fishing was 5 F with a wind chill of -5 F.
Caught a few fish but spend most time net to a shore side campfire.

Went skiing back in the 90's at Mt Sutton, Quebec where it was -17 F at the base lodge and -50 F at the summit.
Skied all day and the cold was only a mild deterrent.
The wildest thing was walking into the summit lodge through a cloud. The indoor air was warm (fireplace) and the outdoor air was -50 F, so when you walked through the door, a cloud would form instantly so you couldn't see what/who you were walking into!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline fishbowl69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 13, 2015, 09:52 PM »
[img][]/img

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #52 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:44 AM »
Coldest day so far this year for me was -11* with wind chill of -32*.   It was a nice day to have the insulated Eskimo 949 for sure.   :icefish:

Offline after-4

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 14, 2015, 05:25 AM »
Try to forget the coldest day until the next time. If I would remember to many I wouldn't be out there again in the sub and wind. Gotta love it for some reason. Oh well gotta go its a balmy 10.

Offline Spindoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Jan 14, 2015, 06:46 AM »
minus 30 degrees F on the  bay of Quinte years ago.
Wind chill was minus 60 degrees F.
I sat on a bucket and cleared the hole scooping snow every 30 seconds.
Line was like hard rock candy on a string.
I wore a Northern Outfitters snow suit and only undershorts beneath it.
I was not cold but it sure was freakin' windy!
Spindoctor-Bud

Offline Hambone77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:33 PM »
-25 , the insulated clam shack did it's job though. Great day of fishing that day

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:48 PM »
 Mine would be -24F.

Offline ak Laker hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:53 PM »
-44f below Jan.2010

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:04 PM »
-25. When my wife and I were dating in '87 she wanted to go ice fishing with me and when we got up to my favorite lake it was minus 25. No shack but thankfully no wind.
She never complained but sure seemed to enjoy the hot chocolate at the lodge that day.  ;D
28 years later, I guess she was a keeper.

Offline lostlunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 14, 2015, 11:35 PM »
-25 with some decent wind. I'll go out without a shanty in -10 and be fine if the wind isn't blowing. Hands get pretty cold after a while but if the fish are biting it's tolerable. I was out 2 weekends ago and it was -18 with 35 mph wind and that was brutal. Last Sunday was -8 and I seen about 7-8 guys fishing out in the open with only jacket,jeans, and work boots....only in North Dakota  :o :o   If I'm bundled up well the wind is about the only thing that will stop me from going out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.