Author Topic: tree dropping failure  (Read 1392 times)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
tree dropping failure
« on: Mar 15, 2013, 09:01 PM »
lol.  i knew it was too easy.  have a spot i've been placing trees the end of the season.  this year i wanted to try the other side of the 10 acre spot.   water on this body of water is down about 4' low.  so i found went out into about 10' of water and dropped 4 groups of christmas trees in a nice line about 10 feet apart from each other.   

well we had all the sudden 2 or 3 days of 50 degree huge rains and it completely ate away at the edges.  it was also windy as all get out.  so with the edges gone and the wind howling, the pond rose probably 5-6' AND the ice has now pushed up into shallow water.  2 of the trees have dropped through...the other groups are working on it.  but the last 2 may be in 4 or 5' of water tops.  looks like i'll be using them as spring fishing spots.  ::)

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: tree dropping failure
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Our FWP used to put trees out on the ice, expecting them to drop where they left them. It didn't take long to realize on a 30+ mile lake where the winds blow nearly constantly, that the trees got deposited where ever the wind blew the ice slabs. Now they have the National Guard drop them from helicopters as a training mission each spring.......right where they want them to stay!!!! LOL

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:27 AM »
Interesting.

WS

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2013, 12:33 PM »
That would be illegal in WI. 

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2013, 01:11 PM »
Cool
Master Laker taker.

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2013, 03:39 PM »
If they tied some concrete blocks to the trees it would make sure they stayed where the wanted them to drop .

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Not if the ice moves with the tree still on top.  Gotta chain saw holes big enough to insert the trees.  Waiting for the ice to melt is a crap shoot.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2013, 04:12 PM »
Not if the ice moves with the tree still on top.  Gotta chain saw holes big enough to insert the trees.  Waiting for the ice to melt is a crap shoot.

yeah called the guy i fish with. he was like "no way wind can move cinder blocks...i'm like, you don't understand and snapped a pic and sent it to him.  he was like WHAT.

we usually drop them out in the middle.  and usually they aren't where we gps'd em.  we'd find them eventually but this was hilarious. 

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Leave them on shore. In the spring you can use a boat and cement block to drop em where you want em. :tipup:
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline curt69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2013, 07:04 PM »
What would happen if you dropped the cinder blocks though a hole in the ice . Like an anchor and then wait for the ice to melt ? Curt G.
Catch'em and Eat'em

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Leave them on shore. In the spring you can use a boat and cement block to drop em where you want em. :tipup:

its a trek to get back there and no motor vehicles are allowed. we did it last year and after an excrutiating day we were happy to just put them on the ice this year like we usually do.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2013, 09:16 PM »
What would happen if you dropped the cinder blocks though a hole in the ice . Like an anchor and then wait for the ice to melt ? Curt G.
won't stop a sheet of ice from moving-would just drag the block along the bottom.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2013, 03:11 AM »
How far did the ice move?  I was thinking if you tied a cinder or concrete block to the bottom the the tree, stand the tree up in the hole, and drilled a hole big enough for the block to fit through it would give the rope room to allow for the ice to move providing the hole didn't freeze completely solid.  What I mean is if the hole skims over or only makes say 1/2 or an inch of ice I would think the moving ice would break against the tree trunk but I could be wrong.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2013, 06:12 AM »
I'm thinking portage a canoe in the spring.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline icebum

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Man it would suck to be fishing the day the National Guard Shows up!!
We are all here cause we are not all there.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2013, 04:47 PM »
That would be illegal in WI.

well its a good thing i'm no where near WI  but thanks for the contribution

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Man it would suck to be fishing the day the National Guard Shows up!!

Believe it or not, there were actually guys out there running around in their little boats!!! The pilots know the downwash would capsize them, so they just drop the trees at another location.......they usually drop them in a few different places instead all in one spot!

Offline black55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2013, 12:02 AM »
I've caught lot's of nice ones in just that depth on early ice. Good luck next winter
I live in the great state of Dazed and Confused !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.