Author Topic: I'm QUITTING !!  (Read 3852 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: I'm QUITTING !!
« Reply #60 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:47 PM »
LOL...I am trying everything i can to quite smoking ciggs before the ice hits and it s*****..Any tips from u non smokers that used to smoke??I need to do this not only for myself but for my kids...And it is probably one of the hardest things i have ever done :%$#!:

Well in 1992 I was smoking 2 1/2 Packs a day. I went to an hypnosis and have been smoke free since. I went in there a none believer and when they got done told me to put my cig's and lighter on a table when I left. I did and figured I could just buy some on the way home. I never stopped to buy any and have never wanted to either.

This was in a group of 100 people. Some quit some don't. It cost me $39.95 Can't even buy a carton for that now a days.
<===Lefty===

Offline vexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 10, 2011, 09:40 PM »
 I spent $50.00 two years ago for hypnosis, don't even miss it, you need to want to quit #1 and really concentrate on what is being said during the hypnosis ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #62 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:01 PM »
I spent $50.00 two years ago for hypnosis, don't even miss it, you need to want to quit #1 and really concentrate on what is being said during the hypnosis ;D ;D ;D ;D

I went to one too and my wife and sister in law went with. I quit 4 years now and they never did. You have to want to in my opinion. You really got to get mad at it. Write down why you hate it and why you like it and things get more clear (the hate list grows everyday). Better yet think of all the ice goodies you can buy this winter when you quit.

Offline Monadnock Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't just throw it in the first hole you see!!!
« Reply #63 on: Dec 10, 2011, 10:48 PM »
I quit cold turkey with  nothing but a few packs of gum and telling myself awwwwwwwwwwwwwww you such a wimp stand tall ya big baby.....Then in 2 weeks it got  better and better and better......I cant see how i shot so many deer when i was a smoker. I can smell cigs now if somebody is smoking in a  car passing by.  If its window is down when I'm mowing my lawn in the summer.

You can do it . Just got to have a kick but sense to get around the cravings.......Just remember its just a craving nothing more you wont die........unless you light up them smokes cause them things are gonna kill ya.

I will live my life with the cards i have been dealt.When that final day comes that I'm to weak to grin. I will push the dealer all my chips  cause its all or nothing and I'm all in ...

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:43 AM »
Ive heard eating beef jerky or slim jims is a good way to keep your hands/mouth busy when quitting.

Thats going to be the hardest thing to overcome for me, the "reaction smoke" when Im idle. Gotta stay busy!

Im gearing up to attempt giving up smoking in the next few weeks. Gotta get in shape for when the ice is ready. "Ice fishing is more important than smoking" is going to be my battle creedo.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline chrisk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #65 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Put 2 patches on at bedtime and stay away from stimulants like coffee and alcohol.

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #66 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:56 AM »
I would not suggest cold turkey, what's the point when you can make it so much easier.

There are many products to help you quit....and like the question of Vex, Marcum,Lowrance...there is no right or wrong choice.

All i can do is suggest what has worked for me so far, and that is the patches. I smoked for 34 years and this is my 1st attempt at quitting. What was stopping me from quitting was that i enjoyed it (especially when fishing) fear that i would not be able to quit, fear of the withdrawal symptoms (hell, i knew what i was like after an 8 hour non smoking flight).

Like you i find myself in a situation where my death would not just affect me. My wife and 2 year old son would suffer greatly, the birth of my son was the point in time i started to seriously BELIEVE the end was coming for me and smoking.

The tipping point came when i realised i could not afford it either on a newly introduced weekly budget we made for ourselves...it was a choice between fishing or smoking....i could not afford both......FISHING WON ....on went the patches!

So far i have not smoked for 6 months....it was incredibly less difficult than i had anticipated and i kick myself for not trying years ago...oh well. Cravings do come....but its only a craving and they decrease in intensity as time goes by. It is a fantastic feeling to not even think about smoking for days on end.

I would recommend the patches.....and after that, every time you crave a smoke, think what you have gained from quitting, what you will lose if you start again and that if you smoke just one...GAURANTEED YOU WILL SMOKE MORE THAN ONE!

MOST OF ALL...GOOD LUCK. :)
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline kevs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:23 AM »
I started smoking when I was 12, dad caught me boosting his cigs and bought me a pipe and tobacco and said to smoke it instead. Now I had 2 vices. I smoked til I was out on my own, then quit. No patches, drugs, or any other replacement....I looked at myself and my habit, and prayed asking God for the strength to quit. He gave it to me, and I did. Didnt smoke until a very difficult time in my life, was down and the only thing anyone offered was a smoke. I obliged and got hooked again worse than before, up to three packs a day. Bronchitis all the time, shortness of breath, short on cash (CIGS ARE AWFULLY EXPENSIVE), smellin like old cigs, bad breath,...etc. Sat back and looked at my kids, my life, the money I needed to do and buy the things I wanted, people whom I knew dying from various cancers, and all the wonderful pleasures smoking brought me :-\, and knew I had to give it up. I prayed and asked God to not only give me the strength to quit, but to set me free from the bondage to cigs (we become thier slave, we are the suckers on the other end)> He did! No smokes for 7 yrs, no desire to smoke, no flashbacks, and plenty of extra money for the things I want to buy and do. Oh ya, no more bronchitis, some shortness of breath, and I smell a little better ;D.

Offline CO_ICE_POSSE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Dec 11, 2011, 10:34 AM »
READ IT AND WEEP (IF YOU ARE A SMOKER  OR YOU ARE EXPOSED TO SMOKERS)

[url]http://www.quitsmokingsupport.com/whatsinit.htm[url]

Gotta love a little rocket fuel in your smoke aye?

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:

Ammonia: Household cleaner
Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
Cadmium: Used in batteries
Cyanide: Deadly poison
DDT: A banned insecticide
Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
Lead: Poisonous in high doses
Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
Methoprene: Insecticide
Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:52 PM »
Tomorrow is Day one of non smoking............... again. I've got the patches ready to go and some hard candy to help take my mind off of it.  I really just want to quit for myself. I definitely feel better when I'm not smoking, plus it really helps when walking thru 2ft of snow pulling my gear.

Fingers crossed and good luck to all others trying to quit!

Offline scunningham63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:40 PM »
I tried everything to quit and couldn't. I was pretty much an addict. I started the ecigs and and have been smoke free for a year. I don't suggest the advertised ecigs, Blu, Greensmokes etc. There are much better and cheaper options. I you are interested, here is a link to a good forum with lots of advice and support. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Scott

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2011, 03:56 PM »
Tomorrow is Day one of non smoking............... again. I've got the patches ready to go and some hard candy to help take my mind off of it.  I really just want to quit for myself. I definitely feel better when I'm not smoking, plus it really helps when walking thru 2ft of snow pulling my gear.

Fingers crossed and good luck to all others trying to quit!
good luck toyou man it s***** i am on day 4 and it is  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: lol..I even got out on the ice today and just felt like i didn't know what to do because i smoked alot fishing and know i don't...But tomorrow is another day so hopefully it will go a little better...
FISH ON

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #72 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Wait till you can taste what you're eating again.  :woot:

Don't worry about the couple of pounds either....you'll still be 1000% healthier. Stick with it all you courageous quitters ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #73 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:10 PM »
Smoked my last cigarette in late 1993. I was smoking 2 1/2 - 3 packs a day and just quit cold turkey. What I did was bought myself something useful with the money I would have spent on cigarettes. Figured out no one can quit unless you hate yourself for being a smoker. Never bothered me to not smoke in front of someone that smokes. I understand fully how hard it is to make the commitment to stop.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline kbiz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Dec 12, 2011, 06:55 PM »
I quit about 10 yrs ago just got tired of waking up every morning hacking my lungs out and I was sick of feeling that way. I did it cold turkey and it wasn't easy everybody's different. When you actually do quit for good you'll feel a ton better foods and drinks well even start to taste better.  best of luck
The only good thing about unemployment is more time for fishing

Trooper Bri

« Reply #75 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Do what you have to do I guess. We didn't have the luxury of Chantix, gum, patches, etc, back in the day. If you're really ready to quit, it won't be that hard. In a month you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

And if you are a regular coffee and/or alcohol drinker, I highly recommend NOT avoiding them. Quitting one habit can be tough enough. Unless something is really facilitating cheating, try and keep as much as possible to your daily routine.

Give it hell guys!

Offline JJZFlash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sun rise at the bait shop
« Reply #76 on: Dec 12, 2011, 08:30 PM »
jan 2 will be the start of my 6th year smoke free!!!!  I flavored toothpicks to chew on gave my fingers something to do. drug store has extracts i use wintergreen and cherry . i smoked menthols for 30 some years it was not easy. for two years my hand would go to my shirt pocket all by itself looking for that pack of smokes. i feel great food tastes awesome now i can smell things now its nice . now if i can get my fishing partner to just quit lol.   good luck ;)     JJZFlash

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #77 on: Dec 12, 2011, 09:19 PM »
good luck to everyone thats trying to quit... I have never smoke or chewed as a need. I buy  a tin the beggining of winter and it will last all winter. I am a social chewer :) i might smoke once in a great while like once every 2 years and its usually when i get REALLY drunk ;D
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.