Author Topic: Getting in shape  (Read 5090 times)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #60 on: Nov 08, 2011, 06:51 PM »
that will do. my brother has a lifecycle.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Eggemoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy - Fishy
« Reply #61 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:04 PM »
  With all that weight loss, we can get on the ice sooner......     The last of March
I weighed 253 lbs,  Last sunday I topped the scales at 210.....    Hope to lose
another 10 lbs before Ice season gets here in full force....        Keep up all the good
work guys....     :clap: :thumbsup: :bow:

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #62 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:41 PM »
Congrats to everyone being pro active about their health! Great thread. I think everyone should workout a few times a week. There would be a lot more happy people in this world. None of that quick fix crap either, it's got to be a lifestyle change or it won't work! Stick with it, and good luck!

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #63 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:27 PM »
 I started on December 12 last year. Today I am 100 pounds down and feel so much better than I did. I am looking forward to the new ice season, since I am not looking for places to fish with easy access. I can go places I never dreamed of trying. No drugs, no magic, just hard work and determination.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:37 PM »
i went from 252 in march down to 196 today. (6'1") did a total diet overhaul that was intense for 5 mo and i have since backed off a bit to taper the weightloss. 

i run about 6 miles a week and workout every other day.  i started that in june.  i'm starting to tone my body while continually losing weight and i only work out 3 hours a week running and weight training combined.

i'm excited to A) get out on the ice and see how much more mobile and comfortable i am.  and B) get some new outer gear as my xxl stuff is a bit too big now. lol.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:25 AM »
I figured I'd bring this old post back up.
I just finished up my first round of P90X2 and the results were super impressive(It didn't get rid of my gray hairs though). I'm really glad I started exercising a couple years ago and even being 47 years old, I think I'm in the best shape of my life. I wish I would have started taking better care of myself a long time ago. I would hope that more of you out there start before it's too late. Better late than never.
If anybody has questions on the workout programs I've been doing, let me know. They're definately not a gimmick. If you put the effort in, you will see results.

Ken                                          

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #66 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:24 PM »
Bean...try Insanity!  It is a major butt kicker, but the effort pays off.  I have 3 more weeks of it left for my first round.  It is only 60 days and put out by the same company as P90X.  I thought I was in decent shape, but getting through some of the warmups was even a bit humbling.
  BE THERE!

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #67 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:32 PM »
You guys ever have any questions you have the resident shanty personal trainer here.  LOL

Good job guys
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Apr 25, 2012, 02:52 PM »
HVFD14, I've had insanity for almost a year. I've never done the program by itself, but I picked out workouts for my cardio days while doing P90X last year and X2 this year.  I agree that it's tough. I've had my heart rate pretty high just doing the warmups for those. Always work up a great sweat doing those workouts. My new saturday workout is a killer ab workout of Insanity cardio abs, P90X ab ripper, and X2 ab ripper. You only get one life, so you might as well make it last as long as you can.
Ken                                          

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 11:25 AM »
Ok guys its past time to get my fat a$$ in shape!!  Any advise would be great.  Going to start out with cardo for a few weeks then add the weight training.  I had lost around 40 pounds a few years back but put it all back on plus more.  I need to get off the bloodpressure meds I could be spending the money for that on more ice / hunting gear.  I will post my progress as I go.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Ok guys its past time to get my fat a$$ in shape!!  Any advise would be great. 
Eat less CRAP
C - carbonated drinks
R - refined sugars
A - artificial sweeteners & colors
P - processed food

Eat more FOOD
F - fruits & veggies
O - organic lean proteins
O - omega 3 fatty acids
D - drink more water

I'll send you some more info.

Bean
Ken                                          

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2012, 07:49 PM »
Yesterday I ran my first 5k race since last year and blew away my personal best by over 1 minute. Thank you P90X2! Ran it in 19:07 which isn't too bad for this old fart.

I've gotten a couple questions in the last week for more tips, so here is one on healthy snacking...

With any nutrition program you follow, you are going to need some healthy snack options. The key to incorporating snacks into your nutrition plan is to keep moderation and balance in mind. Select foods that satisfy your hunger, supply your body with energy and provide important nutrients. Opt for snacks of about 150 calories or less to stay within your daily calorie goal. You can eat more of foods with low energy density, such as carrots, grapes, and air-popped popcorn, for your 150 calories.

Here’s a list of some of my favorite snacks that I keep on hand.

Almonds(Raw) - Almonds are the best whole food source of vitamin E, in the form of alpha-tocopherol, which may help prevent cancer. 10 whole raw almonds have 70 calories, 3 grams of protein, 2 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of good fat.  
 Cereal – Kashi Go Lean. 1 cup is 140 calories and has a whopping 13 grams of protein, 10 grams of fiber, and only 1 gram of fat. It may look like some lumber yard byproduct, but it’s possibly the healthiest cereal I know of. I’ll eat this plain or sometimes with fat free milk and some blueberries.
 Fruit – Apples, Kiwi’s, Peaches, Plums, Nectarines, Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, and Bananas are some of my favorites. I also add some fresh or frozen fruit to protein shakes.
 Jell-o(Sugar Free) single cups – As Jell-o says “the most sweet tooth satisfaction 10 calories can hold”. Barely any nutritional value, but it does have 1 gram of protein and 0 carbs.
 Light string cheese – Sargento light string cheese has 50 calories, 6 grams of protein, 1 gram of carbs, and 2.5 grams of fat per cheese stick. Frigo light string cheese has 60 calories, 8 grams of protein, 1 gram of carbs, and 2.5 grams of fat per cheese stick.
 100 calorie popcorn – I like the kettlecorn flavor. It has 4 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, and 2 grams of fat.
 Protein bars – Pure protein brand – I like the Chocolate Deluxe and Chocolate Peanut Butter. The Chocolate Peanut Butter bar (50G) has 190 calories, 20 grams of protein, 17 grams of carbs, and 6 grams of fat. The Chocolate Deluxe bar (50G) has 180 calories, 20 grams of protein, 17 grams of carbs, and 4.5 grams of fat. Because these are quite dense, you should probably drink some water with these.
 Turkey Jerky – high in protein and low in carbs and fat
 Greek Yogurt(nonfat) – I like Chobani greek yogurt. Chobani plain nonfat greek yogurt has 100 calories, 18 grams of protein, and 7 grams of carbs. I always add some fresh fruit to this. This can also be used as a great substitute for recipe’s using sour cream. If you don't like the plain flavored greek yogurt the vanilla flavored one is pretty good, but it has a lot more carbs than the plain.
 Vegetables – Some of my favorites are fresh tomatoes, celery sticks, cucumber slices, and carrots.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Kenny
Ken                                          

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 11:18 AM »
Good stuff Bean.  While working out is great, monitoring what goes in is equally important.  Ive slid a little lately so this note will get me back on track...Thanks.  And with all the goodies from the garden, its easy to eat smart for the next few months...

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 05:05 PM »
I dropped over 40 lbs 2 years ago and kept it off. No BS diets. I married a woman who understands healthy cooking and loves to do it. I used to eat crap all the time, now I CRAVE veggies! Smaller portions, better snacking etc... She really has changed my relationship with food! Now, she is going to be teaching cooking at a local tech school.
Even going out on the ice, I will bring raw veggies etc to munch on, and when I stay out for multi-day trips, shes packs the cooler with awsome grub! Even packs extra for my fishing buddies!

It IS do-able!

For that final 15lbs....I would have to give up drinking (she says) but I'm not ready to go THAT far! LOL! Come on...whats ice fishing without knocking a cocktail...or 2...or 3??????

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Glad I stumbled onto this post. I have been working on dropping some weight too. Not sure when I started but it has been maybe 4 or 5 months now. I have dropped 20 pounds and totally revised my eating habits, stopped eating crap and started eating food and it really does work. I mix in light exercise and it's working. I am at 195# and I feel great and I look great. I know I could drop down to 185 but that would require giving up beer and I am not into that ;D

Keep up the good work all, it is a lifestyle change and I think a change for the better!

Offline hardwater assault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33 PM »
fish is also very good for keeping in shape

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #76 on: Jun 20, 2012, 02:00 PM »
been on my bike more and more lately. i'm going to do a 50 mile ride soon, so i've been pushing myself. i'm eating a lot healthier too. i have nevr been good at fruits and veggies, except for dinner, but now i have a 20 oz fruit smoothie every morning. not ready to give up the beer either! i do drink Mich. Ultra most of the time! @)
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.