Author Topic: Getting in shape  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Ryderr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #30 on: Jul 16, 2011, 06:20 PM »
Any tips? My Fiance and I are trying to loose some weight. Niether of us are terribly overweight but we could stand to loose 15lbs or so. I dont really care what # I am, as long as I am fit, or fitter. I have started working out, and within the last year I started eating 100x more healthier. Though I do relapse from time to time. I havent seen much of an improvement, but I am just now getting serious about working out. Actually I havent lost a 1lb just eating healthier. I feel trimmer on my waist fitting into smaller jeans, but the scale says otherwise. I walk quite a bit, but now I am starting to do some exercise tapes. Its amazing how fast it comes on.
I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there. -Robert Altman

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jul 17, 2011, 11:34 AM »
Any tips? My Fiance and I are trying to loose some weight. Niether of us are terribly overweight but we could stand to loose 15lbs or so. I dont really care what # I am, as long as I am fit, or fitter. I have started working out, and within the last year I started eating 100x more healthier. Though I do relapse from time to time. I havent seen much of an improvement, but I am just now getting serious about working out. Actually I havent lost a 1lb just eating healthier. I feel trimmer on my waist fitting into smaller jeans, but the scale says otherwise. I walk quite a bit, but now I am starting to do some exercise tapes. Its amazing how fast it comes on.

The key to losing weight is calorie deficit.  If you can ingest 500 calories less per day then what your body burns, you'll lose 1 pound a week. If your body burns 3000 calories a day (through your Basic Metabolic Rate and a little exercise) and you take in 2500 calories, you'll lose 1 pound a week(3500 calories = 1 pound).

A couple general suggestions:
1. Eat every 3 hours or so. breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack. That way you won't get as many cravings.
2. track everything you eat or drink with a program like myfatsecret.com or myfitnesspal.com(they're both free). It will count the calories for you and let you know what percentage of food and drink is protein, carbs, and fat. It's a little bit of a pain to do at first, but you get used to it.
3. Eat more protein(lean meat, egg whites, homemade protein shakes). try to eat a 40/40/20 diet. 40% protein/40% carbs/20% fat. Try it for a month at least.
4. Eat some healthier snacks like flavored greek yogurt, nuts(in moderation), raw fruit, lowfat cheese sticks.
5. Drink more water and less soda. Diet soda is probably worse for someone than regular soda from what I've been reading. A beer every now and then is not a problem, as long as it's every now and then instead of every now.
6. With exercise, start off gradually so you don't get so sore after the first workout that you're in pain for the next 3 days and then quit.  If you ever feel actual pain during an exercise - stop. Discomfort is ok, but actual pain is not. Modify exercises if you have to. If you can't do several push-ups on your toes, then do them on your knees until you're strong enough to do them on your toes. 

Ken                                          

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jul 17, 2011, 11:46 AM »
The key to losing weight is calorie deficit.  If you can ingest 500 calories less per day then what your body burns, you'll lose 1 pound a week. If your body burns 3000 calories a day (through your Basic Metabolic Rate and a little exercise) and you take in 2500 calories, you'll lose 1 pound a week(3500 calories = 1 pound).

A couple general suggestions:
1. Eat every 3 hours or so. breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, supper, snack. That way you won't get as many cravings.

Good call Ken...    People cant belive Im eatnig all the time and still stay around  180 to 190 pounds....  At 6 ft 3 thats pretty good for almost 50 years old.............. ;D ;D                 Dom
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

rickl1968

« Reply #33 on: Jul 20, 2011, 07:12 AM »
Im still working on one AB. Nevermind 6....lol. :o

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #34 on: Jul 20, 2011, 07:36 AM »
I have been doing the Low-Carb Diet, lost 24lbs. I'm going to start walking too...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2011, 08:55 AM »
scroll down to see my answer to getting in shape. doing good so far. ;D

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=195528.msg1906883#msg1906883
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jul 21, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Pooley, that's a sweet ride. I think Scott(Iceshanty) might like to take that for a spin sometime.  ;D
Ken                                          

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #37 on: Jul 21, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Pooley, that's a sweet ride. I think Scott(Iceshanty) might like to take that for a spin sometime.  ;D
he already comented on it!  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 14, 2011, 12:03 PM »
The only downside to getting in shape is I keep wanting to push myself to do something more challenging. It sucks getting old, but I now feel more like 27 than my real age of 47. So my next challenging thing is to run a half marathon this weekend. I've been training for 12 weeks for this and I'm ready. I did my longest run last weekend at 12 miles, so I'm sure I'll be able to do 13.1 miles. I ran my first 5K race about 5 weeks ago and had a lot of fun. Just missed running under 20 minutes by 11 seconds.

Anybody else enjoy running 5K's, 10K's, half marathons, or just running for fun?
Ken                                          

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #39 on: Oct 14, 2011, 12:35 PM »
I plan on being about 20 pounds lighter than I am now. Having a lab that is nearly a year old is helping get me where I want to go physically. I already feel in better shape just a need to start eating better now.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline icenovice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Oct 14, 2011, 12:38 PM »
I think I've gained and lost a ton over the yrs.  I'm back up to 245 and not happy.  Started rowing and "dieting" a few weeks back.  Hopefully I can stick with it this time.  Good luck to all.

Steve

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:11 PM »
I just wish I was 47 again. That is the age I hurt my back(40 Lb lighter) I had 2 Surgeries on it after that and both I would consider failed surgeries. I am now 58 with a bad back, arthritis in both my knees,hip,thumbs,neck and jaw and planter fasciitis to boot. I have a very hard time getting exercise.
I bought a Tony Littles Gazalle and can use it now. I have been using it to get in good enough shape for Ice fishing.
<===Lefty===

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #42 on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Down 51 lbs now on the low-carb diet. I still have to get started on some walking, either way I should be able to enjoy the outdoors much better now!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Down 51 lbs now on the low-carb diet. I still have to get started on some walking, either way I should be able to enjoy the outdoors much better now!

Good job. I would like to at least loose 20 Lbs. I was 163 when I hurt my back and now I am 203.  I kinda look like the Budda. 5'9"
<===Lefty===

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #44 on: Oct 14, 2011, 01:51 PM »
My boss just ask me if I was alright. Meaning he thought I was getting thinner. I rent uniforms for work and have had the same size for 12 years or so?? I feel like I could go a marathon but get bored with running. Seams I miss to much with things going by so fast. I do like walking, and like to step it up a bit. About killed the guys that went fishing with me last season. I don't realize not everyone walks like I do. I do park far away from the front door of walmart or where ever. Does me good I think but makes the wife mad. I tell her I am keeping her in shape so I wont have to get another wife someday. I like walking the North County Trail when I go North In Michigan. Would like to do the whole thing some day. Maybe when I retire? I have had health issues with cancer and the harsh treatments and have pain most of the time. I ask God years ago to help me deal with it because for some reason He refused to take the pain away. Since asking for wisdom on how to deal with it, been going ever stronger. Have to remind myself not to head to the Motocross track and start racing again. I did go to a track a few weeks ago for the first time in 29 years and it hit me right away that I could still do it. After I thought about it, or the pain reminded me, I tried to think more about Ice Fishing. Funny how that works. Oh by the way, I'm 52.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #45 on: Oct 14, 2011, 02:00 PM »
I'll second the 12 oz curls. I have even upped it to 16 oz. curls and set the suspension on my snowmobile one notch stiffer.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Oct 14, 2011, 02:30 PM »
I'm down almost 100 pounds from last ice season.  I'm looking forward to hitting the ice and doing a lot of running and gunning to find the perch on Oneida Lake!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #47 on: Oct 14, 2011, 02:45 PM »
I'll second the 12 oz curls. I have even upped it to 16 oz. curls and set the suspension on my snowmobile one notch stiffer.

Me too... ;D

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline IceKing4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • How Ya' Hittin' 'Em Fishing Club
« Reply #48 on: Oct 14, 2011, 03:58 PM »
I'm down 30 pounds since February and I feel great! And I'm definately getting a lot more action these days!...... Just don't tell the wife!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #49 on: Oct 14, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I'm down almost 100 pounds from last ice season.  I'm looking forward to hitting the ice and doing a lot of running and gunning to find the perch on Oneida Lake!

Wow! That's a serious accomplishment, congrats!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Oct 17, 2011, 07:35 AM »
Well, I completed my first half marathon yesterday. What a feeling of accomplishment, but my legs are feeling it today. I finished in a time of 1:35:37 which was 156th out of over 3500. Happy that I did that, but now I need to start looking towards ice fishing!
Ken                                          

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Oct 17, 2011, 08:02 AM »
Well, I completed my first half marathon yesterday. What a feeling of accomplishment, but my legs are feeling it today. I finished in a time of 1:35:37 which was 156th out of over 3500. Happy that I did that, but now I need to start looking towards ice fishing!

:thumbsup: Awesome....congrats.  Hoping I can get back in shape enough to try a 1/2 next year....

Offline lhprop1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Oct 17, 2011, 02:06 PM »
I know I'm eating better and walking more so i won't have as a hard time on the ice pulling the sled.

I do this in my spare time so I don't have trouble pulling my sled. 

How would you play today if you knew you couldn\'t play tomorrow?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #53 on: Oct 17, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Ihprop1, Hey ! You're not cheetin' fair with that pull rope.   :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Sure beats runnin' round the cinder track.

Offline duckbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Oct 17, 2011, 06:13 PM »
Since we are back on this topic, thought I would share my progress. As of today I am down 70 lbs. Been riding my bicycles a ton this summer. ( have pedaled over 1100 miles) On a little side note, I tried on my ice suit and I am swimming in it, looks like I got it Omar the tent makers.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #55 on: Oct 17, 2011, 06:30 PM »
Congrat's to those that have achieved,  encouragement to those that are still trying.  Even a few pounds at a time makes a difference, keeps the diabetes away and BP lower too.  Everything in moderation, no supersizing except for the fish on the end of the line.

Offline Eggemoggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here Fishy - Fishy
« Reply #56 on: Oct 17, 2011, 07:07 PM »
congrets guys....    I was 253 March 29.....    now at 210 and hoping to
get to 199....   I've been stuck here for a couple of weeks...   it's been
50 years since I weighted less than 200....    :)  :clap:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Oct 18, 2011, 01:25 PM »
 Congrats to everyone who has gotten in better shape, and anyone that hasn't, I'd strongly encourage it. I'm still hanging around the 240 mark, down 55 lbs from my high 2 years ago, and haven't felt this good in years. I'd still like to lose another 20 or so, but I've started doing more strength training, and the inches are still coming down, but the pounds have slowed coming off. Just remember, there is more to getting in shape than just losing weight. I lost the weight, but doing some work on the strength machines really helped tone up the muscles.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 08, 2011, 04:18 PM »
for those of you who bike, get a trainer. i will be buying one this week. it will help you keep in shape all year. 30 minutes a day will do it.

Offline duckbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:09 PM »
for those of you who bike, get a trainer. i will be buying one this week. it will help you keep in shape all year. 30 minutes a day will do it.

I have a trainer but don't like it. Last month I bought a spinning bike, Man that thing is awesome.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.