Author Topic: Getting in shape  (Read 5089 times)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Getting in shape
« on: Nov 04, 2010, 08:20 PM »
I began working out at the gym again after a 4 year absence on Sept. 30, for 2 or 3 days a week. Weight training and running on the treadmill. This will result in a more enjoyable and more productive ice fishing season. When I am out of shape as in the past few years, the cold bothers me a lot more, I don't do hike-ins to good ponds, and I sometimes don't stay on the ice all day.

Cold weather is a lot easier to tolerate when you are in shape. I hope this message inspires people to get in shape before the season starts. Trust me it makes a big difference in your ice fishing experience.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Gasman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2010, 08:38 PM »
I'm already in shape!!    Round is a shape    right?? ;D

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2010, 08:40 PM »
Yes round is a shape...lol  Ive been doing alot of 12 ounce curling myself ;)

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2010, 08:49 PM »
4 Mile run planned for tomorrow : )
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2010, 08:56 PM »
I know what you mean. This lake I fish has a large hill you go down and half to climb back up. It is nicknamed heart attack hill! :o
Fish on!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:02 PM »
Oh man.... you should have informed me of that 2 years ago... then I could be all set for next season!!

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:14 PM »
i have lost 80 pounds since last season and its the best thing i have ever done in my life.  everything i do is so much easier.  it makes my job easier and i have so much more energy.  i never did have much of a problem last year walking on the ice but i am sure i will notice a huge difference this year.  i know i noticed a big difference hunting this year.  i even got a new pair of ice armor for this season,  i didnt have a choice my old carhartts sure werent going to fit.  if anyone is even thinking about losing weight you wont regret it i promise.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:36 PM »
i have lost 80 pounds since last season and its the best thing i have ever done in my life.  everything i do is so much easier.  it makes my job easier and i have so much more energy.  i never did have much of a problem last year walking on the ice but i am sure i will notice a huge difference this year.  i know i noticed a big difference hunting this year.  i even got a new pair of ice armor for this season,  i didnt have a choice my old carhartts sure werent going to fit.  if anyone is even thinking about losing weight you wont regret it i promise.

Congrats!!!!
I've dropped just over 60#'s since February myself.

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:03 PM »
thanks drifter congrats to you also.  i am sure you are feeling better too. 

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2010, 10:18 PM »
I have to get back at it.  just made too many excuses.  16 hour days and working OT on top of that makes it hard to get there.  I am hoping in the next few weeks I can stop working OT and head back to the gym myself.  I dropped 40# last fall and it felt great!
Don

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2010, 05:19 AM »
I should point out what many of you know already. My weight never changes. I always look in shape ( not heavy ) from the outside, but looks are deceiving. A slenderish body that never gets excersize is out of shape like any other body type is without excersize.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2010, 05:36 AM »
i quit drinking a year and a half ago and kept 30 pounds off.was 298 now around 265 and on a exercise bike and ready for any weather that Michigan has including deep snow.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:09 AM »
Was 270 once was 245 a lot as adult. Been down to 215 lately. Lot of pain there.
'Lose weight you'll feel better' that urban legend ain't working. Disc and back and nerve issues. I'll be hitting the airdyne before Louisiana trip and then icefishing.

Some one gave me a head cold thing I ain't happy about either.

Nothing slows my fishing though.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2010, 06:20 AM »
Im a lean mean fishing machine at 170bs... bring on the ice
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline MoreTroutPls

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2010, 07:59 AM »
Getting in shape is absolutely worth the effort.  Years ago, I was a couch potato and any walking or hill climbing was very tiring.  Hand drilling holes was simply torture.  Then I had a blocked artery and wound up with a stent and a cardiac rehab program that got me exercising and eating right. 

Now I can walk and climb hills easily and can still drill holes with an 8" hand auger.  That long trek across ice and snow is quite manageable. 

Also, cold weather stresses the heart, so keeping the ticker and muscles in good shape for ice fishing activities is a definite requirement to keep on ice fishing.

Also, being in good shape prevents sweating during routine ice fishing activities.  Avoiding sweating is a good way to keep from freezing on the ice.

Get in shape, you won't regret it.    :tipup:

Everyone has to believe in something.  I believe I'll go fishing.
Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline graybeard1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Just about 1 year ago, I went for my 6 month checkup, and weighed 293. I decided that was enough, if I wasn't careful I'd be on the top side of 300 before long. I waited till after the holidays, and got serious. I'm down to 230 now, and would like to lose another 10-15 lbs, but I feel so much better now it's unbelievable. I eat a lot more healthy, and work out 5-6 days a week. Strength training on machines 4-5 days, and usually 1.5-2 miles on the elliptical, and the same on the treadmill whenever I go to the gym. The days I don't go to the gym, I try to walk at least 2 miles outside. It takes a little effort and will power, but it wasn't near as bad as what I thought it would be. The benefits far outweigh the sacrifices. Hopefully the Frabill will pull a lot easier this year than last! ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:43 AM »
I'm already in shape!!    Round is a shape    right?? ;D
that's great
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2010, 09:46 AM »
i got in shape myself....60 plus in 2 years.....262 to 196.....however, my days of walking are limited....with the number of traps we set up and the area we cover it would be tough by foot....i could do it...i'm only 36 but its a pretty productive way to fish when targeting bass, pickeral, and perch.....i do walk when i make my rounds to check bait and modify depth
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline duckbuster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2010, 10:09 AM »
Wow, great job guys, I myself have lost 43 pounds since June. My younger sister had a heart attack and needed a quadruple bypass. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me. I started working out and eating right, the weight just started pouring off.  One thing I have noticed is that I seem to be cold all the time, maybe I'll just have to get used to it (it ain't going to stop me from ice fishing)

Again, Awesome Job Guys  :clap:

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2010, 10:59 AM »
i walk everywhere, my job requires heavy lifting, i weigh just the right amount for my body mass index, and my metabolism is just right so i can eat anything with no weight gain (yet  ::) ). looks to me like i'm set  ;) ;D

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2010, 11:23 AM »
I got you all beat, I lost 146 pounds this past summer. My wife left me ;D ;D :o :o.
Just kidding. I am happily married. Just had to say it.  Keep it up guys. I need to take a few pounds off myself.  Steve

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:50 AM »
I dropped 22 pounds exercising and eating right doing P90X.  I'm in the best shape I've been since my early 20's in the military. And I wasn't heavy to begin with. Went from 192 to 170. I now have abs like I've never had.  But most importantly was the change in my blood work. My cholesterol dropped from 174 to 117. My triglycerides and LDL dropped more than half, and my HDL(good cholesterol) increased 20%. It feels so good to be fit and healthy. Only drawback was having to buy new clothes.  ;D
Ken                                          

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:59 AM »
I'm maintaining at 185, down from 216 last June. Still walk or run 5 days a week for an hour or so and do the pull ups/push ups/ free weight routine. Stretching seems to be one of the most important aspects.

Eat well and exercise. Ice fishing will be a more enjoyable time.

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2010, 10:00 AM »
i quit drinking a year and a half ago and kept 30 pounds off.was 298 now around 265 and on a exercise bike and ready for any weather that Michigan has including deep snow.

that is the exact weight i started my diet out at 298lbs and i am now down to 217.  i never did see 300 on the scale but i am sure at one point i was there or over.  i really dont know what i was thinking.  my wife started her diet and had done it a couple of time before and i think the reason why the first two times failed is because of me.  i would still eat what ever i wanted and right in front of her.  that didnt help her at all, so this last time she said i am going on a diet again i thought why in the world am i not doing this.  the best thing i have ever done and it make it so much easier for both of us especially her.  i do not have any kids yet but they will be here some day in the near future and i know that i will be healthy and will be able to play with them or do whatever it is they want to do and i wont be some lazy couch potatoe like i used to be.  for me looking at my diet that is my biggest accomplishment is going to be for my kids i have one day.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Thought I'd bring this back up. Ice will be here before you know it. Now is the time to start getting your body in a better and healthier shape for a long ice season.
Ken                                          

Offline Gasman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jul 15, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Thought I'd bring this back up. Ice will be here before you know it. Now is the time to start getting your body in a better and healthier shape for a long ice season.
Bean Still doing p90x ??   If so do you follow it exact or do just the exercise portion?

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jul 16, 2011, 07:13 AM »
I know I'm eating better and walking more so i won't have as a hard time on the ice pulling the sled.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jul 16, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Bean Still doing p90x ??   If so do you follow it exact or do just the exercise portion?
I'm still doing P90X and really enjoy it. Once you get the nutrition part down during the first 90 days, you pretty much know what to eat and it becomes part of your daily routine. I've switched up some of the workouts during rounds. I added insanity to the cardio days the last round. Those are rough, but you'll notice a big difference in endurance. This round I'm trying to add some lean muscle so I'm not doing as much cardio(just some running). Soon I'll change up the routine again as I want to "try" a half marathon in October.
   I'm pretty hooked on Beachbody's products because they're laid out so well and they're easy for anyone to follow.  I've got P90X, P90X plus, some of tony horton's one on one's, Insanity, and my wife has turbo fire. So I've got a lot of options to choose from so I can change it up when needed. I'm looking forward to this winter when P90X2 comes out. It will take P90X graduates to the next level.
   If you or anyone else is thinking about doing it and need questions answered, let me know. 
Ken                                          

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jul 16, 2011, 12:36 PM »
OK,guys,that losing weight is great. Just one problem,you have to KEEP it off. Before I became disabled I weighed 220 ,10 years later,6 back and 2 neck operations I weigh 279. I don't use a wheel chair but I have a walker, I have a brace on both legs . Balance is terrible. But I have one son that takes me Icefishing and I will not give it up until I die. Real lucky to have a son that dose this to. Good thing that I took him when he was young. Just remember to keep the weight off. I don't eat much but when you can't move real good it is real hard to exercise.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Jul 16, 2011, 01:12 PM »
im gonna be 20 pounds heavier than last year.still not drinking but im eating like a bear and pretty much at 280 again.o well ive got  plenty of years haulin my fat carcass across the snow and ice.i was on a excersize bike for awhile but that was wearing my hip out. so i fugure ill wear my hip out on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.