Author Topic: Jigging help  (Read 1938 times)

Offline pierfishing88

• IceShanty Rookie
Jigging help
« on: Feb 07, 2006, 08:52 PM »
When jigging with waxies or mealworms or anykind of bait like that how do you guys do it? Do you let it bounce the bottom or suspend it?

Thanks

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jigging help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Both.  You can jig rapidly and let it sit, bring it up a couple feet let it drop slowly or jig on the way back down, bounce it off the bottom and bring up slowly, etc.  It is different everyday and also depends on how aggresive the fish are.  I usually jig until I see a fish on my jig (using a Vex) and then stop but sometimes you have to keep right on jigging and pi$$ them off :D  What it boils down to is whatever works keep it up :thumbsup:

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2006, 08:33 PM »
fish the whole depth....start at the top and go down, or go down to bottom and come up....personally, I fish from the top down (fish look up)......
It's all about Karma.....

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2006, 06:10 AM »
fish the whole depth....start at the top and go down, or go down to bottom and come up....personally, I fish from the top down (fish look up)......

duh  I've been doing it wrong again starting at the bottom
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:48 AM »
duh  I've been doing it wrong again starting at the bottom

You aren't doing it wrong...in fact, before I got a Vexilar, that's exactly what I would do.  More times than not, fish are going to relate to some sort of cover or structure.  Often times, the bottom is the only real "structure" to which they can relate, so they'll hide out in the weeds, or just hold tight to the bottom if there is sparse weed growth.  If you are perch fishing, you just aren't going to find them suspended, so drop it to the bottom, reel up a little way and jig it.  Try various methods of jigging until you find what works.  If you're crappie or bluegill fishing, these fish can both suspend and hold to the bottom.  Bluegills will suspend all day, but I've found that more times than not, crappies will suspend in the early morning, hold close to the bottom during the day, and work thir way back up in the water column in the evening.  The important thing is to fish the whole water column.  And again, personally, I would start from the bottom and work my way up.

-Zach

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.