Author Topic: BOWTIFUL DAY!  (Read 10609 times)

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: BOWTIFUL DAY!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 03, 2020, 01:55 PM »
No prob! For what it’s worth, live Smelt or shiners will catch your biggest trout then eggs then crawlers and then powerbait. Always exceptions but that’ll be your avg how it works everytime

In Ma I can run 5 traps so I always mix it up.
I rarely get rainbows on shiners though, even set just under the ice where the crawlers work so well.
Browns and brookies do hit the shiners well.
I don't use smelt because of lack of availability in the area I fish.
I do usually try a few large sized shiners but unless there are bass around they usually go untouched.
I think my problem is my home pond just doesn't have the forage to grow big fish. The trout live primarily on insects and copepods. There are no smelt or shiners, only banded killifish and bluegill. Largemouth bass may also outcompete the trout for what forage there is.
I guess I need to explore new venues. ;)

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Mar 03, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Glad you got into them Frank. Nothing today for me was targeting bass and browns it was a mess out there. Had the wheeler by the time I got back to the launch the sled was 1/2 full of water. Drying my stuff out right now and putting it on eBay.

Yep just threw my clothes in the wash most of it’s sweat I prob did 10 miles just checking holes nonstop for 6 hours
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Mar 03, 2020, 01:59 PM »
I rarely get rainbows on shiners though, even set just under the ice where the crawlers work so well.
I do usually try a few large sized shiners but unless there are bass around they usually go untouched.
I think my problem is my home pond just doesn't have the forage to grow big fish. The trout live primarily on insects and copepods. There are no smelt or shiners, only banded killifish and bluegill. Largemouth bass may also outcompete the trout for what forage there is.

I get that! I’d love to mix it up but with only 2 lines it’s a handicap, it’s why the egging is so important. Yes, you can only catch a fish as big as what’s in the water you are working with, completely different situation and I get that. Smelt also aren’t important if they aren’t in the lake you’re on

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:18 PM »

the reason you don't do well in mass on shiners is, the majority of the ones you are fishing on are this years stocking, even the larger ones, are brood stock, ones that have lived a few years  or even a single year in the wild  become meat eaters... when I fished Waldon, I used huge shiners, I also caught 4 and 5 lb rainbows that had seen a season or two..

Eggs are a rainbows first love...unfortunately, you have to weed out the little guys...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Nice Rainbow there! I've been personally targeting Bow's this year with great success I forgot how much I love pulling them through the ice, My daughter caught her first decent bow this season weighing in at 4.11 lbs after we gutted it, Wish I could of got out today just got home from work and lake is 20 minutes away I may just have to sneak out there now this post got me all horned up  ;D

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:38 PM »
And when I do run Smelt and shiners I use baits that are outlandish. Pin baits will typically get you small fish. If you want numbers great if you want quality I’m telling you this is true. I had to go to eggs bc that’s what was on there mind today, it is what it is.
X2 Absolutely. I typically go 5" shiners. It can be a patience game for sure, but " Go big or go home", as they say
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:40 PM »
Nice Rainbow there! I've been personally targeting Bow's this year with great success I forgot how much I love pulling them through the ice, My daughter caught her first decent bow this season weighing in at 4.11 lbs after we gutted it, Wish I could of got out today just got home from work and lake is 20 minutes away I may just have to sneak out there now this post got me all horned up  ;D

That’s a great fish!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:48 PM »
That’s a great fish!
It really was I was super stoked to watch her land that fish crazy thing though she pointed out to me that the smaller 20'' bows we have been landing consistently this season have all fought harder than that big one

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Glad you got into them Frank. Nothing today for me was targeting bass and browns it was a mess out there. Had the wheeler by the time I got back to the launch the sled was 1/2 full of water. Drying my stuff out right now and putting it on eBay.

LMAO, you gotta find a cover for your sled on ebay instead of selling your gear there...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Mar 03, 2020, 02:53 PM »
It really was I was super stoked to watch her land that fish crazy thing though she pointed out to me that the smaller 20'' bows we have been landing consistently this season have all fought harder than that big one

Share a pic!

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:07 PM »

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Nice! Congrats Dad!

My wife’s aunt lives on the lake I believe you are fishing, I’m amazed that they stock it with 21-23” fish! I’ve caught some pigs there!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Nice fish Frank....  :thumbsup:
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:10 PM »
Beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.  Congrats.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:14 PM »
Nice! Congrats Dad!

My wife’s aunt lives on the lake I believe you are fishing, I’m amazed that they stock it with 21-23” fish! I’ve caught some pigs there!
Yeah most guys I've talked to bash the hell out of that lake for being slow, I personally can't complain I've had some great days and most days we avoid a skunk, This year me and my kid fished it a lot almost every outing to learn it for the derby, She really wanted to get out there and compete. She took 2nd place with a 20'' rainbow so her persistence paid off  ;)

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:18 PM »
Nice bow, really wish I could get out while it’s nice. I’m off tomorrow but it’s going to be very windy here.

Pretty much what I already use except I use a #6 bait holder for nightcrawlers.

Do you get robbed alot? Hit and spits?
Do you get many gut hooked?

My favorite thing about nightcrawlers is they seldom get robbed or hit and spit, which makes a huge difference when using tip ups spread far apart.
The thing I hate about crawlers is the percentage of gut hooked fish.
I almost exclusively use nightcrawlers when going for brookies and bows. I use inline circle hooks, sz 4 for trout up to 14”, size 2-1/0 for anything bigger. Then you just have to remember to not set the hook, just start with a slow steady pull and the fish will hook itself. 90% of the time it’s in the corner of the mouth.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:18 PM »
the reason you don't do well in mass on shiners is, the majority of the ones you are fishing on are this years stocking, even the larger ones, are brood stock, ones that have lived a few years  or even a single year in the wild  become meat eaters... when I fished Waldon, I used huge shiners, I also caught 4 and 5 lb rainbows that had seen a season or two..

Eggs are a rainbows first love...unfortunately, you have to weed out the little guys...

My favorite pond is loaded with holdovers. They just don't get very big. Not just by my results, I fish the heck out of it nine months out of the year for several decades and have only seen one big fish. That one was landed by my kid when he was five years old. ::)
All those years I fished there without a big fish, when I finally hook one, I handed the rod to a five year old.  :)

Walden used to be a pond that produced large more regularly (still can but not like the old days).
Unfortunately smelt died off in Walden in the late 80s and far as I know have never come back. Of course the state agency that controls the pond won't let me sneak in before the gate opens so I can jig smelt in the dark. Back in the 80s I had an understanding with the guy who opened the gate. They're hard azzes now, probably get my car towed if I tried that now.
Good ice is hard to find at Walden in these warm winters.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:19 PM »

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Yeah most guys I've talked to bash the hell out of that lake for being slow, I personally can't complain I've had some great days and most days we avoid a skunk, This year me and my kid fished it a lot almost every outing to learn it for the derby, She really wanted to get out there and compete. She took 2nd place with a 20'' rainbow so her persistence paid off  ;)

That’s great! Congrats! It’s a cool lake with a lot of options I dont see how you could knock it

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #49 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:22 PM »
My favorite pond is loaded with holdovers. They just don't get very big. Not just by my results, I fish the heck out of it nine months out of the year for several decades and have only seen one big fish. That one was landed by my kid when he was five years old. ::)
All those years I fished there without a big fish, when I finally hook one, I handed the rod to a five year old.  :)

Walden used to be a pond that produced large more regularly (still can but not like the old days).
Unfortunately smelt died off in Walden in the late 80s and far as I know have never come back. Of course the state agency that controls the pond won't let me sneak in before the gate opens so I can jig smelt in the dark. Back in the 80s I had an understanding with the guy who opened the gate. They're hard azzes now, probably get my car towed if I tried that now.
Good ice is hard to find at Walden in these warm winters.

Great pic!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:24 PM »
Great pics, Kourcha and Mike z
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Nice bow frank. Good work as usual. 
Salmonemia

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:44 PM »
Don't do it, Denny! You'll just have to buy most of it back next year when you get the itch again.
X 2 on buying the sled cover. Short money and only one thing to dry out.

Offline Tip up up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:54 PM »
Couldn't beat the weather!  " she's a beaut Clark ! "

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #54 on: Mar 03, 2020, 03:56 PM »
Awesome Bow Frank! Nice work buddy! Glad you had a great day.

Just add water.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 03, 2020, 04:04 PM »
Don't do it, Denny! You'll just have to buy most of it back next year when you get the itch again.
X 2 on buying the sled cover. Short money and only one thing to dry out.

Buy the cover, I gave wane that same lecture when his sleds got full of snow...the cover is good for keeping you spare stuff dry and the wind from blowing other stuff
Away.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Mar 03, 2020, 05:27 PM »
For what it’s worth, I did have Dillies( my preferred size for worms) and Mealies andddd PB and thankfully didn’t need them to avoid the skunk.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Mar 03, 2020, 05:32 PM »
For what it’s worth, I did have Dillies( my preferred size for worms) and Mealies andddd PB and thankfully didn’t need them to avoid the skunk.
Always good to be prepared,  better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Mar 03, 2020, 06:16 PM »
Wow way to get out there and get it done! Beautiful fish

Offline Rando5512

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather go fishin'!
« Reply #59 on: Mar 03, 2020, 07:10 PM »
Nice hen franky. Was hoping to get out this afternoon but was busy chasing paperwork for a new business adventure. ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.