Author Topic: Ice out  (Read 22064 times)

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
Re: Ice out
« Reply #30 on: Mar 02, 2020, 06:30 PM »
No, i won't do it.....
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline hjcrawfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Mar 04, 2020, 07:26 PM »
Between the rain last night and the wind today we may have lost ice today. The south facing shores are are starting to let go, in central lakes region. Forecast is for days in the 40’s and nights in the 20’s, the next week.

Some houses have been taken off the ice.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 05, 2020, 07:41 AM »
I am with jigmaster, not looking for it to end, just reporting what i am seeing. On the other hand I am looking forward to open water fishing/trolling.

Yep, I dragged the boat out the other day and put it in first position in front of the sled trailer.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #33 on: Mar 05, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I just need it to last until next weekend. I hope she holds on so I can actually ice fish on my vaca.
Just add water.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #34 on: Mar 05, 2020, 10:02 AM »
I think my last trip will be Saturday...open water down south in the nitro the following weekend...silver buddy action...
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2020, 10:33 AM »
Stuff is opening up around me quick... At least 1 more trip this weekend on the ice for sure but it's tough to not start thinking about the boat with temps in the 60s the other day. Big jerk baits for me early open water, but I dig the ole silver buddy as well.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Mar 05, 2020, 10:43 AM »
my last rip will be the 14th.. then I'll get rady for my own type of silver buddies

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2020, 10:47 AM »
Those look tasty...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:06 AM »
Those look tasty...
they are, unfortunately,, in a small boat, there is a very tiny window of opportunity to get them...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:13 AM »
they are, unfortunately,, in a small boat, there is a very tiny window of opportunity to get them...

I take it they head for deep waters quickly into the season?

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:22 AM »
I take it they head for deep waters quickly into the season?

they do, I get them in 160' of water 5 miles off the beach when they spawn, unfortunately any  easterly wind makes the inlet treacherous, any kind of wind is just plain miserable.jigging ( real jigging not this 2lb test stuff) is the best way to put a bunch in the boat in a hurry, and to add insult to insult , as soon as the draggers know they are there, they scoop up every last one of them..

soon as the water reaches 50, Ill start looking for flounder and drop my lobster pots...bass will begin  to show and summer will be here before I know it.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #41 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:28 AM »
I'm just not ready to start even talking about this open water stuff. It's March 5th. Nonsense!
I'll get on somewhere, somehow through the end of the month. Always do.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:37 AM »
I'm just not ready to start even talking about this open water stuff. It's March 5th. Nonsense!
I'll get on somewhere, somehow through the end of the month. Always do.

I hear ya, but I already spend 4 hours each ( round )trip on the road.. not quite ready to make it, 6 when I can trailer the boat for 20 minutes and be fishing..

I'll be driving every day next week except for Friday.. 24 hours of driving.. that'll be enough for me to be ready for open water.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:46 AM »
they do, I get them in 160' of water 5 miles off the beach when they spawn, unfortunately any  easterly wind makes the inlet treacherous, any kind of wind is just plain miserable.jigging ( real jigging not this 2lb test stuff) is the best way to put a bunch in the boat in a hurry, and to add insult to insult , as soon as the draggers know they are there, they scoop up every last one of them..

soon as the water reaches 50, Ill start looking for flounder and drop my lobster pots...bass will begin  to show and summer will be here before I know it.

It's amazing how the wind can appear from nowhere in an instant... I've gone out of Rye harbor twice in my bassboat, the 1st time we got lucky and it stayed quiet and glassy water, the 2nd time we launched in the dead calm and an hour later mother nature smacked me in the head asking if I was stupid or something bringing a bassboat out there... The most scared I've ever been on a boat...

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #44 on: Mar 05, 2020, 11:49 AM »
I hear ya, but I already spend 4 hours each ( round )trip on the road.. not quite ready to make it, 6 when I can trailer the boat for 20 minutes and be fishing..

I'll be driving every day next week except for Friday.. 24 hours of driving.. that'll be enough for me to be ready for open water.
No I hear ya there. That's alot of driving. I just always hate when my ice season is cut short(which seems to be more often these days with the weather).
These days in my life, I ice fish waayy more than I open water fish(wasn't always that way). Winter is my downtime at work, it's when I have the most free time throughout the whole year. Once open water season gets here, im back to 60 hour weeks and little time to fish. So I always hate to see Ice season go.
Once ice season is over, I look forward to hunting season.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 05, 2020, 12:06 PM »
It's amazing how the wind can appear from nowhere in an instant... I've gone out of Rye harbor twice in my bassboat, the 1st time we got lucky and it stayed quiet and glassy water, the 2nd time we launched in the dead calm and an hour later mother nature smacked me in the head asking if I was stupid or something bringing a bassboat out there... The most scared I've ever been on a boat...

I hate wind, my boats a beast, high sided and heavy, made for work... still doesn't make it any less miserable..

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 05, 2020, 12:08 PM »
No I hear ya there. That's alot of driving. I just always hate when my ice season is cut short(which seems to be more often these days with the weather).
These days in my life, I ice fish waayy more than I open water fish(wasn't always that way). Winter is my downtime at work, it's when I have the most free time throughout the whole year. Once open water season gets here, im back to 60 hour weeks and little time to fish. So I always hate to see Ice season go.
Once ice season is over, I look forward to hunting season.

wane is like you, lives for the ice season... he always feels cheated when the season is like this..

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #47 on: Mar 05, 2020, 01:25 PM »
wane is like you, lives for the ice season... he always feels cheated when the season is like this..

This is the first year in a decade that I was not able to ice fish in RI. This is the first year that some of my go to's in MA never had enough ice to stay safe. I drove north more than ever and I also filled my freezer with rabbits and squirrels. I too feel robbed but I improvised the best I could to stay active.
Just add water.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Mar 05, 2020, 01:43 PM »
I’m with Joe. My haddock jigs and Flounder rigs are ready to do work so let me know  ;)
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 05, 2020, 01:48 PM »
I’m with Joe. My haddock jigs and Flounder rigs are ready to do work so let me know  ;)

I can’t wait for redfish. They’re my new favorite fish to eat.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 05, 2020, 02:18 PM »
I can’t wait for redfish. They’re my new favorite fish to eat.

one of the few fish they haven't put a ton of regulations on.. they make the BEST  fish tacos

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Mar 05, 2020, 02:20 PM »

we will definatly have to do that.. flounder fishing was ( pardon the pun) off the hook last year...

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Mar 05, 2020, 03:04 PM »
one of the few fish they haven't put a ton of regulations on.. they make the BEST  fish tacos

Yeah, but I bet they are coming. They are super slow growing, and the shorts never make it past the birds. I felt the same way when we went on a pollack slam this past December.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Mar 05, 2020, 07:40 PM »
Yeah, but I bet they are coming. They are super slow growing, and the shorts never make it past the birds. I felt the same way when we went on a pollack slam this past December.

I've watched all of our salt water fisheries as they slowly dissapeared,  I remember  catching 20 lb pollock from the merrimack river jetties in the spring,and jigging cod fish from the mouth of the river all winter when conditions allowed, on any given night,you could catch enough cod from the beach in mid winter for a few meals...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Mar 06, 2020, 01:50 AM »
I've watched all of our salt water fisheries as they slowly dissapeared,  I remember  catching 20 lb pollock from the merrimack river jetties in the spring,and jigging cod fish from the mouth of the river all winter when conditions allowed, on any given night,you could catch enough cod from the beach in mid winter for a few meals...

Those tactics sounds so foreign to me, must of been amazing to witness that!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Mar 06, 2020, 06:24 AM »
Those tactics sounds so foreign to me, must of been amazing to witness that!

It's sad, I got in just on the tail end of all of it..the pollock would come into the river in big schools like blue fish,you could see them on the top chasing sand eels, like a big black cloud, we used to huck 3 ounce cast masters and crank them as fast as we could, the hit was vicious, you know how they fight on a boat, imagine from the jetty fighting a 3 knot tide.., I was a teen ager at the time..by the time I was 20, the only pollock that visited the river were small harbor pollock..they used to go all the way to Joppa, they would stop at the tide rip in front of the duck blind on the west side just above the dike.. now even they are gone..

the cod fishing from the beach was over by the late 70's,. a lot of people  jigged the cod from tin boats, it slowed down in January and February, but was in full swing again by Easter, the most important thing was to get off the river before the ice came down on the out going.. I ignored that once and ended up beaching the boat on Salisbury beach with 400lbs of codfish on the floor.... that fishing lasted into the early 80's.. and now we cant even fish for them...

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Mar 06, 2020, 06:28 AM »
Amazing!

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Mar 06, 2020, 06:40 AM »
Roccus,

Do you still fish the river at the north end of Plum Island.

Amazing current there.

We fished that from shore for years and picked up lots of fish and  millions of greenies bit you until you were raw

John

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Mar 06, 2020, 06:46 AM »
Roccus,

Do you still fish the river at the north end of Plum Island.

Amazing current there.

We fished that from shore for years and picked up lots of fish and  millions of greenies bit you until you were raw

John

3 or 4 nights a week and  run pots for bugs every Saturday, May through October... that place is my Home.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Mar 06, 2020, 07:34 AM »
3 or 4 nights a week and  run pots for bugs every Saturday, May through October... that place is my Home.
Back in the day, that was my dad’s place too...he and a friend would be gone all night in my dad’s friends’s thompson boatand they would return to Lawrence in the morning...between the mighty Mac and the Plum Island areas, they did well! By the mid 70’s my dad had his own boat (he bought a new White hull and built a small cabin on it, all mahogany) and we kids got to go. He would run the boat up the river out to the mouth and drift back as we drifted sea worms...schoolies were legal then and some great memories resulted from those nights! Some scary moments with that river but my dad managed those incoming swells like a pro. Very easy to make a mistake out there with dire consequences! Listening to your striper and salt experiences brings it all back!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.