Author Topic: Salmon tactics....  (Read 2910 times)

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
Salmon tactics....
« on: Feb 16, 2020, 06:17 PM »
No not in NH waters....
I am headed on my annual pilgrimage to Moosehead in 2 weekends. I usually make this trip early in February before you can legally keep salmon through the ice. I know the tactics question may seem odd asking in the NH forum, but I am curious on what you guys do to avoid catching salmon on lakes here, and what you may have done that has caught them anyway. I know you don't target them but I figured if I know what not to do to avoid catching them, then in turn I should have an idea on how to target them. I have a few nice ones under my belt in various Maine lakes over the years, but I mostly chalk those up to luck. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Salmon tactics....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2020, 06:20 PM »
Salmon are easy. Place smelt under ice a foot or 2. Wait for flags. Make sure you know the size and bag limits
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2020, 06:32 PM »
Salmon are easy. Place smelt under ice a foot or 2. Wait for flags. Make sure you know the size and bag limits

Litterally all you need to do here
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Well then... I guess I never assume anything is that easy! Hopefully in 2 weeks I can share a pic of a decent one. Looking forward to getting my son out on his first moosehead ice fishing trip. Can't beat 3 generations and some good friends fishing together!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2020, 06:59 PM »
Well then... I guess I never assume anything is that easy! Hopefully in 2 weeks I can share a pic of a decent one. Looking forward to getting my son out on his first moosehead ice fishing trip. Can't beat 3 generations and some good friends fishing together!

Have fun! I’d be going after some of those big native brookies myself  ;)

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2020, 07:24 PM »
That is always a target when we go. I grew up brook trout fishing on streams up there between flagstaff lake and moosehead. You could never get the craving for brook trout out of me!

Offline rlace19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:34 PM »
I always seem to catch them within the top 5 feet of the water column when I’m in Maine. The biggest salmon I have even caught was in 4 fow going for brook trout. So I would try to mix it up and just adjust the trap depths when you pinpoint them.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2020, 08:57 PM »
Have an awesome trip! Some fantastic fishing up there. Miss it. Especially wild brookies. That's where I learned to trout fish as a kid.
I spent  summers as a young lad in Rockwood. And many weeks at camp on Seboomook. God's country at its finest.
And many many weekends on Moosehead in winter. Boy I remember the years when 3 ft of ice was normal up there.
Good luck, go get em
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:03 PM »
Some of my favorite memories throughout life have been on these trips. I am excited to start my son off at barely 4 years old. Thanks for the info and we'll wishes guys

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2020, 09:05 PM »
Also excited about getting on some descent ice for a weekend!

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2020, 07:27 PM »
Been busy since the trip but wanted report back... We had a great first trip with my son. Slow on fishing. 1 lake trout and a lot of small to decent cusk, but made the best of it as always on a moosehead trip! My son fell 1 leg into a 10" hole about 20 mins into fishing on Friday, rushed him up to camp to find that although slush was falling out his ski pants, the inside of his boots and socks were dry! Redressed and back out we went. Second day was beautiful and just a fun day on the ice. 20+ inches of ice and only about 6" of snow on the ice.
Good food, friends and family. Can't beat 3 generations fishing together!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 09, 2020, 07:31 PM »
Awesome!!  Your boy must of shaved, something doesn’t add up...  ;)

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2020, 07:34 PM »
Haha, he is not quite 4 yet. Knowing my family, give him 6 years! ;)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2020, 07:35 PM »
Sounds like good times, thanks for sharing.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:06 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
That can be on helluva tough lake to fish. No monsta brookies huh?
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:12 PM »
That’s a great picture!

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:19 PM »
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
That can be on helluva tough lake to fish. No monsta brookies huh?

It can be! Especially when your only fishing it 2 days a year. No brookies for us, sounds like it was the wrong side of the lake for most of that action... That place is huge....

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:19 PM »
That’s a great picture!

Thanks!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:56 PM »
It can be! Especially when your only fishing it 2 days a year. No brookies for us, sounds like it was the wrong side of the lake for most of that action... That place is huge....
It is, that's for sure. Curious, Where were you fishing out of? Many years ago, i fished it alot, 3 generations like you do. We fished Spencer bay with some success. But used to nail the brookies in the northern part of the lake. Used to fish alot around Kineo, Toe of the Boot, and up off of North Bay. You reminded me I gotta get back up there again. Good luck on your next trip up!

Offline jpease

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2020, 09:09 PM »
It is, that's for sure. Curious, Where were you fishing out of? Many years ago, i fished it alot, 3 generations like you do. We fished Spencer bay with some success. But used to nail the brookies in the northern part of the lake. Used to fish alot around Kineo, Toe of the Boot, and up off of North Bay. You reminded me I gotta get back up there again. Good luck on your next trip up!

For the last 8 years we have been going to a friend's camp between the birches and tomhegan. Wanted to get across to between farm and sugar island, but didn't make the trek this year. I wish I could fish a straight month there in the winter!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2020, 09:22 PM »
Right on!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #21 on: Mar 10, 2020, 08:59 AM »
This is what its about! Great trip, thank you for sharing!
Just add water.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.