Author Topic: how big are jumbo's  (Read 43341 times)

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:how big are jumbo's
« Reply #60 on: Jan 24, 2004, 10:52 PM »
Seaking of jumbo perch, I'd like to share some results of my experimenting with the dropper spoon from Custom Jiggs + Spins. Running it on 6# mono leader, with about an 8" drop, and a Tru-turn (6) hook. I've been fishing it under a Windlass tip-up with a dorsal hooked  medium shiner. In 3 trips it has produced the biggest perch: 12.5, 13+, and today a personal best 14''. Also it garnered the best bass each day, as well. Try it, I think you'll like it.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2004, 09:18 AM »
You sure it wasnt a foot aand a half long? rofl sorry couldnt resist. Anyhow ya ive tried your way before but i like to jig for my perch as when im outside re hooking those minnows becomes a cold and tedious job. We do use minnows though if were really hard up for a bite...Plus they double as a lite snack if you bring along some crakers. TIght lines! ROFL
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2004, 10:09 AM »
All fish were taped to avoid guessing; also they are so fat that I typically underestimate the length. Also agree about jigging being more fun, and easier on fingers in cold. Was jigging one to two rods, and the  dropper spoon still came up with the goods, though I lost a clunker near the hole on my schooley rig. Guess it was one of those 20 inchers. lol!!! Ordered a couple more, and next time I may as well jig one of them. Have made my own versions before, but you can adjust the drop leghth in seconds on these, according to the mood of the fish. Also at 1.80, they are a pretty good buy.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Ya you can't beat the price as long as the fish hit on em. I went out this morning and got skunked ...Iv'e been having a hard time targeting them deep. Iv'e been doing this becasue i have been trying to target Lunker's and jumbp's instead of the tyical 1 in 20 jumbo. ALot of people think im stupid for trying other spots when im getting fish but sometimes it is about quality then quanity. I caN GET THEM EASY ENOUGH UNDER 10 FEET of water right now but im also trying for whities and lakers and perch in the same depth so iv'e been hitting the 45 feet mark. HArdly No fish....Sniff sniff...But im still trying for Walter the 10 inch perch. Tight lines all.
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2004, 11:29 PM »
My largest perch is 16 inches 2lbs 4ozs caught out of Conesus lake in Western NY.  I have also caught an 18 inch perch out of Conesus which was a male and it only weihed in at 1lb 8ozs.  I wish that would have been a female that fish would have been 3lbs easy but as my luck goes it wasn't.  Still it was a nice perch.  I think a jumbo perch is anything 14 inches +.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:42 AM »
Got some questions for ya about that one. Firstly We talking Yellow perch here? And secondly ANy pictures? And thirdly if they are Yellow Perch did you measure it before or after the beer was finished? TIght lines!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 29, 2004, 02:54 PM »
Now i have noticed alot of Lip about these 18-20 inch's but being hard pressed to see a picture guys......This is starting to sound just a lil fishy to me now......WHere are ya walter? You out there.? Walter.....WALTER!!!!!!!!! Send in the pics Guys and lets see BIgfoot..Ohhh i mean Walter the 20 inch Perch! Tight Lines!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:08 PM »
SO im sitting there out on the lake fishing and this old lady (must have been Anicent Almost as Old as TrapperDirk) Anyhow she comes hobbling out to the Perch fishing grounds. She walks right up to me as im sitting in My fold up chair on the ice. She says..."Johnny is that you??" I take off my hooded balaclava and poilitly tell her "Sorry No mame My name is Germ" She Apoligies to me profusily and tells me I looked exactly like her son. She then asks if she could talk to me a sec. Now GErm being the nice guy that he is extends to her his chair and grabs another out of his Backpack and unfolds it and sits down. She moves her Chair over to me like inches away. Im thinking this is a lil Odd plus the fact she wasnt really dressed for Out On the Lake Winter conditions. She then began to tell me about her Johnny. She TOld me 20 Years ago her Son Johnny who was a avid fisherman came down to the lake to fish one day on a day much similir to this (weaher condtions etc etc) And he never returned. They found his stuff Just sitting there on the lake Pole still in the water seat on the Ice much like mine was and His pack of smokes laying beside his chair. The LAdy out of belief to me  moves her chair closer to me If possible and tells me that I look exactly like her SOn did 20 years earlier....A lil chill runs up my spine. She then Grabs ahold of my hand and clasps it in hers. She tells me that I have the same Voice TOne as did her sons. Im a lil freaked out at this time. She then asks if she can touch my face as her vision isnt as good as it used to be. This being well over the norm for acceptability i was about to protest but her Old feeble hand was well on the way to my face. She tells me My face is just like her sons..Now this is where it gets Even more spooky...She asks me if it would be allright for me to call her Meema. Apprently her Johnny used to call her "Meeema" I said ok....She also adds in can i say to her "Meema I love you and i miss you and i want to come home it's cold out here." Being more then freaked and just want to get this lady off the Ice I tell her Ok i Will but after this you have to leave...So as im saying this Line that she wants me to say she put's her hand On my leg and starts Pullling it...And she's pulling my Leg .....Much as Im Pulling your's right now.........Much as the SAme as that damm 20 inch perch...LOl Got ya Hook line and Sinker!!! Whos da Man How many of you did i catch?>??? Tight lines all!

fishmann

« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:19 PM »
What do Germ, Richard Simmons and an apple have in common?

They're all FRUITS!!!

;D ;D ;D

I knew you were going somewhere with that, just wasn't sure where it was. Thanks for the laugh.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 29, 2004, 03:22 PM »
Lol nps at all i thought Since this particualr section was pretty much just bull-crap anyhow i might as well PIle on more . ROFL  GLad to make ya laugh...Tight lines!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2004, 03:13 PM »
Just thought id say hello to all again and ask ever so much for that 20 incher picture! My Pal Frank went out on SImcoe few days ago and got soem nice perch the biggest weighing 1.5 pounds measured in at 13 and a half inches. 6 and a half shy of that elusive 20 incher im hearing! LOL tight lines all.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: how big are jumbo's
« Reply #71 on: Feb 06, 2004, 04:23 PM »
The world record is only 19'' if memory serves me. Got my goal set for 17'', cause that would probably be a state racord in PA. Had to settle for 13'' last time out; still wacking them with a dropper spoon and minnow. Unfortunately, the rain is likely to wreak havock with our ice; it won't stop!

trapperdirk

« Reply #72 on: Feb 06, 2004, 06:20 PM »
 Yes I got a pic sent to me from a guy on here and they were 16 inchers . Real dandys . They were from P.A.
   Germ you still seem to be chasing that elusive 20 inch yellow perch on here . LOL ;D
   Now I'm beginning wonder though if using little old ladies for bait is legal here or anywhere . LOL
    I read our regulations book for Ontario gamefish .
    It says .  Using little old ladies for bait is in contravention of code 1234 otherwise known as the Germ law , and comes with a maximum fine of 2000 minnows and forfeiture of your angling license for a period of two years . LOL ;D ;D
    Now quit messing around with little old ladies and catch us that 20 inch perch . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Feb 06, 2004, 10:29 PM »
Well i caught a 12 inch today just under a pound by 21 grams. Now im 8 inchs shy of the 20 inch mark and 1 and a half poundd shy of the ontario Record..Now we must remeber when talking Perch too that we have to specifiy Yellow and white AS White perch get Bigger then Yellow PErch and This 20 Inch was started on the Yellow Perch, And Dang if it takes me tossing a LIL old lady in there to catch a 20 incher then im Game. And if the PErch Like lill OLD men Trapper then id be hiding if i were you...Isn't  YOur B-day coming soon? LOl tight lines!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 07, 2004, 03:04 PM »
Kind of coincidental that the difference in my fich being a pound is the Same that the Human soul is supposed to weigh...21 grams. Maybe if i had of weighed the fish alive he would have been a pound? Just a thought! Tight lines!

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:33 PM »
This goes back to the original topic. When you cook the fillets from three yellow perch, and they don't all fit in a 10'' skillet(slant sided), so you have to cook the third one seperately; they must be jumbos! White wine, pepper, dill, tarragon, a little garlic and some lime juice; perch the other white meat..mmmmm! Time for dessert, got to go.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Feb 07, 2004, 07:57 PM »
You made that sound so nice....Hmmm Perch...But beer ...as well got to have the beer with the 20 inch perch in a pan. LOL

perchpile

« Reply #77 on: Feb 07, 2004, 09:16 PM »
well with all this talk about a 20 incher i'm still wondering how in @#$* did any one get it out of the hole. i think that there could be a few deep down under but lets see some pics.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Feb 07, 2004, 09:43 PM »
Had to settle for some white wine the old lady opened; a good compliment to the fish, as it turned out. Have to laugh, cause every batch I cook up is proclaimed to be the best ever. Have been getting a bit of practice with the  perch cooking skills this year; hope it continues! Tight lines everyone, beware of the 20 incher!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 08, 2004, 07:29 AM »
You think maybe if i glued 2 x 10 inch perch together that they would mind? it would still be a 20 inch perch right? Like just so you can process this in all your minds....Lets say i said i had this hot chick for you....Or you could take home 2 really cute chicks  instead..(if Females are reading this just insert hunks instead of chicks..we have to fair to the women) Like would it matter to anyone as long as you were still getting the same amount in your head...? Now dang it i know most of you guys arn't even paying attention because your still thinking of either one HOT topless chick or 2 cute chicks so i might as well just end this segment! LOL tight lines all!

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #80 on: Feb 08, 2004, 11:13 AM »
i was on vacation the last 11 days and while i was there i picked up a book of freshwater fishing and it showed the world record weight of some fish and belive it or not it saysthe record perch was 4 lbs 3 ounces coul you imagin how long that fish would be! by the way it was caught in the delaware river new jersy in 1865.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Feb 08, 2004, 04:10 PM »
Yes i have also heard that the record was that and caught in that year...Only problem is that the scales and regulation wernt up to code as far as how they all are now. Christ for all i know buddy could have jammed the belly full of rocks..lol And length doesnt always increase with weight after a certain amount. They get if you have in this long arse thread what is called a SOw bellly. They start growing out.getting fat. SO i can believe it was big and porbably long ...is there any pictures with this 4 pound perch? And was it a yellow perch also? I forgot to look that one up...I'll have to do some investigation..Hey i think it would be great having these big perch i just would like to have pictures of em. I believe thers some monster size perch in the world maybe even some reach the 5 pound mark..lets just catch em and get pictures though. My friend who dives just likes to scuba and see weird stuff he had to retrieve his atv out of the frozen or not so frozen lake last year lol..thin ice what can you do..lol tight lines!

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #82 on: Feb 08, 2004, 06:00 PM »
sorry no pic :(. it was in a book called the art of freshwater fishing. i really can't belive that.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Feb 08, 2004, 09:11 PM »
couldn't find the picture either oh well..Its possible. Anything is possible dang i mean even trapperdirk has a Oldlady i didn;t think that was possible either but like i said anything is possible!LOL

trapperdirk

« Reply #84 on: Feb 08, 2004, 11:14 PM »
  Aw you see the mightiest little Germ has what we call up here little man syndrome .LOL
   He can't bend over far enough to pull a really big perch through the hole . So sad it is when your as wide as you are high . LOL
   Now for Germ it would definately be a dream to ever pull a real big perch out of one of his 4 inch auger holes . LOL
   I know how hard I had to pull to get the Germ out of a ten inch hole but I was able to bend down to get a two handed grip on his lip . LOL

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:18 AM »
Lol man that was funny ...ROFL seriosuly this forum now after work makes my day...i grab a beer hit the ICE Shanty and Dang ya know what feels like kicking back with friends...I don't know if im just sad or what but Id like to thank ICe shanty for making my end of the DAy that much bettter. LOl had to pee and now ive lost my train of thought ( Germs not to swift)  i have to re read Trappers last message to see what my come backs going to be!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Feb 09, 2004, 07:24 AM »
Now seriosuly bug Germ but don't be hating his auger. My 3 and a half inch auger hole not 4 inch..i took a 6-7 pound pike up thru that already this year..tight squeeze but was in there (my cousin hooked it i did the finishing move of bring ing her thru the hole) got to like holes...anyhow My problem would be with Whitefish and  thats it maybe Ling though as they do get that lil tail like a snake grabbing onto the ice but dang ill rock thru ice in no time takes me maybe 15 secs with no pressure withmy auger in 1 and a half feet of Ice ....lets see how well you kick thru on a manual Auger of 8 inch in one and a half feet without breaking a sweat>? besides if i need the hole bigger just punch 3 connected and i have a hole bigger then your first auger and in just the same amount of time you take to auger one manual of 8 inch. Getone and you  wont go back.

trapperdirk

« Reply #87 on: Feb 09, 2004, 11:03 PM »
ROTFLMAO .If anybody got the ending let me know LOL . Leave that 4inch auger home Germ .  lol

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Feb 10, 2004, 07:10 AM »
it was supposed to read GET one and you wont go back. (to using 8 inch) but it came out "Getone" instead. LOL i never said was great at spelling just fishing.

trapperdirk

« Reply #89 on: Feb 11, 2004, 03:09 AM »
 Well Germ I will stick with my ten inch Jiffy and drill just one hole as compared to three to make up for it . LOL . Don't worry about me breaking a sweat with 18 inches of ice . LOL . Auger does just fine aslong as I have fuel . BRUM brum . LOL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.