Author Topic: how big are jumbo's  (Read 43344 times)

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
how big are jumbo's
« on: Dec 11, 2003, 05:12 PM »
just wondering on how big a perch has to be, to be considered a jumbo in your opinion to me a 9 incher is pretty big but i have caught several over 11 inches

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:how big are jumbo's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2003, 06:05 PM »
10" is a jumbo. Big is anything over 11" on most lakes. Some lakes give up lots of big ones but they get fished down pretty quick. 9" is kind of on the small side but some areas thats all you can ask for.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline PERCH_INC.

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE LITTLE ONES BACK
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2003, 08:17 PM »
Jumbo Perch over 12'', Super jumbo 14'' to 16'' :'(
MONSTER PERCH RULE ! !  

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2003, 06:52 AM »
In my opinion, Jumbo perch is a relative term, specific to areas and bodies of water. On the best lake in our area I call 12'' and up jumbos. Some other lakes don't seem to have any perch that size. Guess it also comes down to personal preference. I've noticed the same thing with crappies; one mans "slab" ia another mans throwback.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2003, 08:27 AM »
Van - well put. We cruise up to Lake Simcoe in Canada and pick up some 12" perch we consider jumbos, then come back down to NY and pick up 10" perch we consider slobs. All depends on the body of water, and the relative size averaged in them.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

dr.d

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2003, 09:16 AM »
We consider Jumbo Perch to be the ones that have a definate hump on their backs. Usually these ones are in the 11'' plus. It is really nice when you hit a school of these as you can fill your bucket quickly and get some quality meat. I definately like cleaning these than the small ones.

grumpymoe

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2003, 10:15 AM »
my better half caught a 12 7/8 inch jumbo on her first outing last year--i measured it several times for her but it would not stretch to make 13" which would qualify her for manitoba master angler --here 13-15" on some lakes is not uncommon and i'm still tryin :-X :-X :-X

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2003, 11:07 AM »
you guys are all right it does deppend on the body of water. i should change my ways because i always throw back many smaller ones on one lake that everyone else keeps cause i think they should by bigger than that.
thanx for clearing that up ;D

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2003, 05:46 PM »
Don't change your ways. I usually toss back perch that are less than 9.5-10'', despite the fact that there may not be a lot of bigger fish present. Have always felt that a fish at that size is just hitting prime growth stage; if it makes it til the following season it will be a real nice fish! However, if you have fished a body of water for years, and the top size is 9-9.5'' you may as well take a bunch, it's probably overcrowded anyway.

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:12 PM »
thanx for clearing that up so i don't take fish home that are to small for that body of water and should be let go to grow.

Offline asphalt_kid

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Live life hard........ICE FISH
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:38 AM »
Ah selective harvest. And Jumbo's around here are 11 " and bigger.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2003, 06:46 AM »
14 pluse
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2003, 05:36 PM »
When the stomachs and heads make you go "d*mn"!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2003, 02:36 PM »
all depends  but here in ny between my friends and I under 6" is a dink
6-12 are ussually keepers and 12-14" is called a nice perch 14" plus are slobs, pigs, jumbos

haha i had to modify this 2 yr old post

under 6" is a dink 6-9" is a perch 9-11" is a keeper 12"-13" is a real nice one and anything over 13" is a slob, pig, jumbo etc :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2003, 03:44 PM »
I don't care what boody of water I'm fishing on. I try not to keep anything under 9". To me a "jumbo" is 12" or bigger. Also known as "slob" or "pig".
Pete Lewis

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2003, 09:18 AM »
A good perch aka "jumbo" should be 11-12 inches -- if they are smaller than that -- alittle teadous to fillet but fun to catch. Dont get me wrong I use a electric knive and can fillet a grass perch if needed.
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2003, 10:40 AM »
you need to catch them first empty. i've seen you carve up some masterpieces back in the day before the electric.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2003, 11:17 AM »
I should be a butcher the way I skin em good
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2003, 11:24 AM »
out there quartering up the 1/2pound perch over a bucket of OV splits.

the goood ole days.

acsacmboy

« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:47 AM »
i think nothing under 8 1/2 inches should be kept. 8 1/2 -10- average fish, 10-11 good fish, 11-13 jumbo, 13+ super jumbo

Offline SamInMass

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2003, 09:30 AM »
There is a good article in the most recent On The Water (a New England fishing magazine) that discusses pulling jumbo Perch through the ice. The author caught a 16" 2lber last season. I've found a couple ponds here in Mass that have em up to 14", but the average is 6"-10".

ErieDeerie

« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2003, 01:21 PM »
Last year on Erie we caught many well over 14", and threw back all that were under 10". All depends on when and where you fish. I had my GPS marked the previous summer for a huge dropoff and some structure. Each day we limited out on super jumbos, while everyone else was getting little fish. All on the day I guess and knowledge.

Offline xulgiy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:54 AM »
anything over 15" is jumbo....  I've landed several in the 16-18" class on only one lake, and now I can't even think about fishing for perch on another...  we can catch up to 30 in an evening 14-18"...seems like every one that comes up the hole has smelt sticking out it's mouth.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2004, 08:10 AM »
Well to be quite honest with ya ill keep em at 7 inches. not to much differnece in meat  between a 7 inch and a 9 inch. The biggest i caught here on simcoe is 14.5. Ive seen bigger though just not on the end of MY rod, My theory though on the really big ones is that for the most part i find that they are females . Why not keep ur fill on the more abundant smaller ones and let the bigger breeders go>? I know it would never happen but just a thought to think about. Tight lines ;D
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:59 AM »
Thats a good point germ, why are all the big ones hens? I cleaned ten yesterday and probably averaged 9.5". Everyone of them a girl.
I would have to be pretty hungry for fish to clean a 7" though.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 04, 2004, 08:03 AM »
I believe that its a Location VS Jumbo situation. SOme lakes just don't have the lunkers that others do. So average it out with your lakes biggest size and compare sizes to that. For the most part though i believe anything over the 11 inch range would qualify ya for Jumbo catergory. Anything over the 14 Make sure to run it in your friends face. Say stuff like "Hey you want to touch this fish casue you ain't gonna catch one yourself" lol have fun
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Sorry just had to make a side note about the 16-18 inch Perch. And catching severel in the 18 inch >? Dang man keep em next time cause if your Catching any at 18 inches i'd be calling for Records in your Area as i don't think Our simcoe Present record was even 18 inches. That would make it somewhere near a 3.5 Perch? Were these perch actually Measured? I mean iv'e thought Fish were big before and marked them off on my Fishing pole only to be Saddened when i got home from the actually measurement Versus what i thought was 16 inches to my mind. My biggest out of SImcoe is 14.5. Which i believe to be somewhere near 16 and a half. During that day before i got home i would have bet everything that it was 16 and a half...Surprizeing what excitement and cold weather can do to your judgement. ANyhow if you happen to get anymore Perch in the 18 mark please PLEASE take a shot for me beside a ruler and weigh that puppy as you might be pleased to be in the record books.

perchpile

« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2004, 08:53 PM »
on st. clair it is 11 and up i have seen up to 16s

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2004, 07:40 AM »
Ya ive seen up NEar the 16 but DAng im sorry 18???????? Im not saying this guy is a liar im just sayng that hes DRunk or stoned when he measured the damm thing. COme on 18 inches????a foot and a half Perch? Lets be real Guys am I wrong or this Guy Old as dirt Blind as a Bat and drunk as a SKunk when he measured it? Ya i thought SO.

lileyehunter

« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2004, 11:03 AM »
last summer in lake erie i got a nice 15" 1lb 12oz perch in 54' of water, getting it back within a few weeks, goin on the wall

i heard of a 20"er being caught that same summer here in erie, but it was hardly a pound, really scrawny fish

nate

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.