Author Topic: drop shot rig ?  (Read 10688 times)

Offline ihavethetools

• Team IceShanty Regular
drop shot rig ?
« on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Was watching In Fisherman Ice Fishing today and saw them using a drop shot rig for perch. They were using a small spoon above a Bloodworm jig. My question is what size or make of spoon should i use. It was mainly as an attractant. Lots of flash i guess. I'd like to try this out if i can find what spoon to use. Any info would be appreciated.

Offline fanaticjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: drop shot rig ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:19 PM »
I was looking at the in-fisherman web site and under "icing yellow perch" there are 5 or 6 spoons they listed for perch.
They explain this rig and how to rig it. Hope this is helpful.

Offline Bareback Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I have used up to 3 inch spoons,most are 1-1/2 to 2 inch.
BBJ

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:49 PM »
A dropper rig is having the hook on an extension line between the spoon and hook.  The spoon act as weight and attractor.  The hook is baited for the bite.

A drop shot rig is having a weight below the hook.  The weight is on the lake bottom.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:10 AM »
I saw the same show.  It looked like a small Kastmaster.

Good Luck!
MarCum * Vex * Strikemaster * Clam * Cabelas Underwater Cam

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:47 PM »
When I drop shot rig I use light hook on the end of the line and about 3  split shot weights about 8 inches above the hook what I have noticed in the camera is it alows the perch to suck it in without feeling the weight of the hook it seems to pivot at the split shot 

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:37 PM »
i use this dropper rig regularly i use a silver or gold kastmaster propably 2" long

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:49 PM »
i would only use a drop shot on a tip up or with just a plain hook.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2010, 11:38 AM »
lots of success with a pimple, six inch leader then your favorite micro jig, or bait holder. pimples just to get you down and provide a bit of flash. i also like to do a double hook rig using a polimer knot. small generic ice fly about 1 foot above a forage minnow spoon or halis. the weight being the spoon at the bottom.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:06 PM »
those are dropper rigs, a drop shot rig is different.  Granted, this is a little larger than for ice fishing, but it shows that a drop shot rig is.  It has the weight at the bottom, and then a small hook about a foot up the line.  so unlike a dropper rig, the weight is at the bottom, not above the hook.  Very deadly technique, the weight allows you to pound the bottom and stir it up.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2010, 12:43 PM »
i use the exact same setup but instead of lead use a spoon/jig...double your odds!

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2010, 06:13 PM »
i use the exact same setup but instead of lead use a spoon/jig...double your odds!

I have done this way as well and work well , but you do loose most of the action of the single hook as soon as you lift the weight of the bottom. I usually tie my drop shot with two hooks, one about 6" up and another one up about 2-3 ft up.
I gotta chubby

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:50 AM »
We've been using all these methods on Lake Simcoe. We use 2 hooks on the drop shot rig. It's great fun to catch 2 perch at once! I have been using a home made bloodworm type fly above a jig with a minnow. You never know which they'll hit. I have been using a a bead and blade with a clevis (spinner)above my swivel as an attractant. I was noticing that the perch would hit the little blade. I just need to rig a small hook to that and I think it'd increase the hook up rate.  I think I'm going to try the kastmaster or pimple this weekend as an attractor.. see how that works..

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:55 PM »
I think it was Custom Jigs and Spins that used to make a lure called a "Slip Dropper" which was the same concept but it was adjustable as far as dropper length went. I think I still have one.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:00 PM »
Yeah it was Custom Jigs and spin and they still carry them.
http://www.customjigsandspins.com/icefishing/specialty_items/slip_dropper.html
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Mohawk78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 02:05 PM »
whats your success rate using the drop shot rig for ice fishing?

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:48 PM »
double if you use 2 hooks

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 07:47 PM »

The drop shot is one ofmy favorite rigs for ice and open water perch. I like the jig on the bottom and a snelled hook tied off to a tri-swivel. The lead on the bottom and two hooks above is another good one forme. Try a Bear Claw for easy on/off /adjustments for the snelled hooks. The snelled hooks give the minnow room to swim and wiggle more just tie 'em far  enough a part from the bottom and 2nd hook so the don't tangle. :tipup:

Offline jjlosee32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:28 AM »
its actually not a drop shot rig but a dropper rig.  i have one rigged up on my two pound flourocarbon everytime i go out.  start with a northland buckshot spoon and add a hali quick clip chain or a small piece of mono. then tie or clip on a small horizontal jig like a marmooska or fiska or a size 12 treble hook.  make sure if using mono the dropper is no more than 2-3 inches, anymore and the bait will fall to slow and you wont detect bites.  tip the horizontal jigs with spikes mousies waxies etc..  and if using a treble tip it with a minnow head or perch eye.  this rig is deadly on perch and walleye.  i have had amazing days using this rig and watch as others leave frustrated from catching very little or no fish.  you get both reaction strikes and regular feeding bites.  my favorite overall is a perch buckshot spoon paired with a chain link dropper and a small treble tipped with a perch eye.  the spoon attracts the fish and the dropper enables them to suck in the bait without swallowing the whole spoon.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2011, 09:44 AM »
I always Drop shot perch. The key is to use about a 3 ft dropper between the jig and weight. When you retrieve the fish,the weight remains in the hole, so once you unhook  the fish you only need to open your bail and the jig is headed right back to the fish because of the weight.Seconds count when your on a moving school of perch.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.