Author Topic: Kokanee tips  (Read 14722 times)

Offline Wannafish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "C:\Documents and Settings\Ty\My Documents\My Pict
Kokanee tips
« on: Feb 18, 2007, 05:57 PM »
Going for kokanee tomorrow, just wondering any good tips on how to catch them and depth. thanks.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
Re: Kokanee tips
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2007, 11:55 PM »
Totally depends on the Lake.  Have lots of different droppers and be willing to try different attractors and dropper lengths.  An UL rod is very handy, maggots for bait(pink and white), Berkley Power maggots work really well...

If you think it is a bite, set the hook....size 8-14 hook/droppers depending on the Koke size in your area...

Good Fishing   :tipup:

Offline JAB198

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2008, 08:04 AM »
Set tip ups over deep water (70' or more). Suspend lively minnow about 6' under the ice. Wait for a flag here or there. good luck.

Offline morning2nightFishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:52 PM »
What size minnows? Fat heads or shinners small or medium.
I want to try to catch 1 this year. A local lake holds them and trout. Caught the trout never seen a Kokanee before

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:28 AM »
Kokanee don't normally eat other fish and will only occasionally hit a dead stick bait.

If you actively jig using a flasher dropper rig or a small Swedish pimple (flame orange, Pink, white)...you will probably have the best luck...

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:34 AM »
Thank you. The lake that holds them was almost froze but, now we have a heat wave gong to happen. I might have to weight longer than wanted to. I have a bunch of small pimples. Any fav. thing for bait like mousies, spikes. ect...  I have mousies and spikes now.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Thank you. The lake that holds them was almost froze but, now we have a heat wave gong to happen. I might have to weight longer than wanted to. I have a bunch of small pimples. Any fav. thing for bait like mousies, spikes. ect...  I have mousies and spikes now.

I use pink or white maggots and sometimes nothing at all...try using fly's for your droppers...like bead head scuds, scuds, chronomids...things like that.

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2010, 05:22 PM »
Small jigging spoons (pimples, kastmasters, glo-devils; the manufacturer seems to not matter so much to the fish) with a short (< 6") dropper w/ a small teardrop below it.  I like pinks, oranges, gold and glow colors best personally.  I commonly use 1/16 to 1/8 oz. spoons depending on how deep the majority of the schools are coming through.  I tip w/ wax worm or a Berkley power product of some form (usually pink or white).  Once the school is engaged, bait is often not necessary.  Just get the spoon back down!  They are schooling fish for the most part and can come through the water column virtually anywhere.  Don't be afraid to fish in the top 10' below the ice.  Electronics is a big help.  Is seems like having a group of anglers helps too; I think a lot of scales fall off them during the fight and landing process and fall back down through the water column like glitter.  It seems to keep the school in the area a bit longer.
I'm hoping to give it a try on a local reservoir this weekend.
S.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Thank you every one for the tips. Seems like this is the only place to find any fishing info on the Konanee.
Sorenson let me know how you make out this weekend.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2010, 07:52 PM »
Thank you every one for the tips. Seems like this is the only place to find any fishing info on the Konanee.

If you want Kokanee specific info  try www.kokaneefishingforu m.com  I'm the moderator of the Montana board over there...

Offline sorenson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing - it's not just for breakfast anymore.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2011, 03:41 PM »

Nailed 'em!
My family and I caught a limit (4 each) in just under an hour of fishing today.  They weren't big by any means - they never really are at this reservoir, but they sure were willing to play. 
Waxies on small droppers below spoons.  Now to decide on whether to go back tomorrow...
s.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2011, 05:36 PM »
You can't beat that. All this talk I can't wait to pull my first one threw the ice. I was going tomorrow but gotta work. Thanks for the update. I have to look at the regulation in  NY on them. Size and how many you can keep. I just want to see one. How's the fight sluggish or are they fighter. Hope they are fighters.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.