Author Topic: New species today  (Read 2909 times)

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
New species today
« on: Feb 08, 2023, 07:48 PM »
Took my youngest son out for the day, we ended up landing a couple ciscoes, first time catching that species.

Some jumbo perch, and couple accidental lakers (out of season) as well.

Filleted the ciscoes to cook along with the perch, we'll see how they turn out.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New species today
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2023, 11:09 AM »
Well the Perch will taste good- ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:44 PM »
Good to see someone passing down the tradition of going out fishing.  Lots of kids aren't interested in anything that isn't on a device. 

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2023, 12:55 PM »
Well the Perch will taste good- ;D

Perch were predictably amazing as always.

Ciscoes were interesting. Very soft flesh, and no belly meat at all. They were too tender for me to bother removing pins bones. I coated in seasoned breads crumbs and pan fried them along with the perch in butter with some lemon. The meat is a lot softer than perch, pretty mild with a very slight fishy aftertaste. I'd eat them again if I were lucky enough to find another school of them, but I don't fish that lake more than once or twice in a season.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2023, 04:58 PM »
Good to see someone passing down the tradition of going out fishing.  Lots of kids aren't interested in anything that isn't on a device.

Tell me about it. This is my youngest son, he wanted to bring his tablet out on ice. I convinced him it would freeze and lose all the power, better off watching flasher ;)

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:34 PM »
One of my favorite things about this board is learning all the new species of freshwater fish I didn't know about before
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2023, 07:52 PM »
One of my favorite things about this board is learning all the new species of freshwater fish I didn't know about before

Also known as tullibee or lake herring, related to whitefish. Surprised you haven't encountered them in MN.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:07 PM »
To be fair and honest, in open water I target almost exclusively bass and related predator fish, and in the winter almost exclusively crappie. Not to mention I stay very close to the heart of the metro area, where there may not be a ton of species diversity.

Plus, I'm happy to catch anything and seldom care what I caught or why.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:20 PM »
To be fair and honest, in open water I target almost exclusively bass and related predator fish, and in the winter almost exclusively crappie. Not to mention I stay very close to the heart of the metro area, where there may not be a ton of species diversity.

Plus, I'm happy to catch anything and seldom care what I caught or why.

Up until yesterday, I'd never seen one in person, nor did I imagine I'd ever catch one, as I fished that lake a good dozen times on ice, and that particular area a few times as well.
I've read about them mainly as prey for muskies, pike and lake trout. When a few showed up on my flasher suspended at 20 over 52 feet, I'd assumed they were smelt until we got bit.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2023, 08:26 PM »
I've got no experience with smelt either. All my fishing growing up, I targeted usually one of a very limited number of species. Suddenly I've got a lot lot of species available and I still have the same habits.

First time I caught a sauger I was thrown for a loop, and spent 5 minutes on my phone confirming what I caught.

It's so wild catching new things, and even more so learning about what you're catching and whu/how. I'd love to sync up with someone who knows a lot lore than me to give me an educational experience on the ice. It's been a while since I've had that kind of experience

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2023, 09:43 PM »
Having someone show you the ropes can be very useful, but not necessary. I grew up fishing open water, wasn't until 20 something years ago that I started ice fishing. First few seasons were stocked trout places with tip ups baited with worms. At some point, I got some gear, and started heading out with my kids or on my own to public waterways, pretty much figured out much of what I know today. Tons of research online on forums, ministry sites, and youtube, regarding regions, available species, and various techniques and tactics. Once on site, I'll speak to others fishing there to get some more intel, unless I have the entire lake to myself.

Over the past decade or so, I'll assess what my plans are for the entire ice season, and instead of always going back to old spots, I'll throw in some new waterways and species to beat up. Of course, weather and scheduling can throw a wrench into those plans, but stick with it long enough, keep logging every outing whether you succeeded or failed, and you'll eventually figure them out one by one. With each outing to a new area, you're either making new spots, or scratching bad ones off the list.

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2023, 09:24 AM »
I'm making the effort to explore places close to home, and it's been fun. Nice to not have an hour drive to and from the lake. Been mixed results, but it's also been a wonky season. I keep going to one that I had a great day early ice, and been skunked on ever since because I just want it to be good and reliable, I really like the spot. But otherwise it's been reassuring, there is always people set up where I wanted to be, so I have6to pick a different spot, and still end up being successful to some degree, so at least I'm feeling more confident in reading a lake map well for panfish.

I'm looking forward to more 'research' on the lakes for other fish. Love a good pat on one's own back for having a hunch and it working out

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2023, 10:46 AM »
I'm making the effort to explore places close to home, and it's been fun. Nice to not have an hour drive to and from the lake. Been mixed results, but it's also been a wonky season. I keep going to one that I had a great day early ice, and been skunked on ever since because I just want it to be good and reliable, I really like the spot. But otherwise it's been reassuring, there is always people set up where I wanted to be, so I have6to pick a different spot, and still end up being successful to some degree, so at least I'm feeling more confident in reading a lake map well for panfish.

I'm looking forward to more 'research' on the lakes for other fish. Love a good pat on one's own back for having a hunch and it working out

Some spots have very seasonal bites. Some only good at first ice before they get pounded by the crowds. Others need thick ice/snow cover over clear water, otherwise the fish get spooked even in deep water, especially bass.

Having a variety of lake in different regions opens my options, especially in a season like this one. The lake I caught these ciscoes on is normally safe by late Dec or early Jan. This year, it only got safe last weekend with our first deep freeze of the season. Now we are getting a few days of solid rain, bound to up the region again.

In contrast, the lake I normally go to further North and at higher elevation have been getting pounded with heavy snow. So, while ice is safe, access and trekking is a nightmare. The incoming rain and subsequent freeze up should fix all that.

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2023, 08:43 AM »
Nice haul!
Catching Any?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.