Author Topic: Decent afternoon  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Decent afternoon
« on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:23 AM »
After being homebound with the vid for a week, made it out yesterday afternoon with some friends to get some fresh air and drop a jig. Ended up being a pretty good bite with a decent amount of eater crappie and a few whites.  Lots of dink yellows that were either put back or thrown to the eagles that were flying around.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Decent afternoon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2023, 06:50 AM »
Awesome day! Have you tried the 1.88$ jigs yet?
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:17 AM »

I have!  Pretty sweet for the price for sure.  Actually yesterday I got all my crappie on a 1/8 oz Clam Rattlin Blade Spoon (tipped with half a dillie). 

The small tungsten jigs just produced dink yellows for me. 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:37 AM »
I have!  Pretty sweet for the price for sure.  Actually yesterday I got all my crappie on a 1/8 oz Clam Rattlin Blade Spoon (tipped with half a dillie). 

The small tungsten jigs just produced dink yellows for me.

Another favorite of mine as I’ve mentioned. The pink tiger stripe rattle spoon with a owner in-line hook is bad ass

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:23 AM »
Nice bunch of fish!

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:34 AM »

Cheap Eagle Claw Jigs with a piece of plastic (mainly because I forgot to buy bait) worked like a charm the other night. Cant beat it!
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:38 AM »
Do you fellas use spring bobbers? I have been running the old school springs and they work until they freeze, not a problem in a shelter but frustrating as hell hole hopping. I see those clam titanium spring bobbers for like $15-20 but didn't know if they were worth the cost?
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:45 AM »
Do you fellas use spring bobbers? I have been running the old school springs and they work until they freeze, not a problem in a shelter but frustrating as hell hole hopping. I see those clam titanium spring bobbers for like $15-20 but didn't know if they were worth the cost?

I use a spring bobber on my older ultra-light setup, definitely makes a big difference.  For my newer UL setup, I drank the cool aid and bought one of those sticks with the flat blank near the tip (just the tip).  Works *almost* as well as the spring bobber but without having to fuss with the clip.

Got my crappies on a medium (6 lb test) setup though, not the UL. 

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:46 AM »
Look like the afternoon bite was better than the morning  bite.. not surprising with the moon..nice batch of fish.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:49 AM »
Nice bunch of fish!

Thanks Mike.  Gotta get up your way some time.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2023, 08:50 AM »
Looks like a tasty pile there.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2023, 09:50 AM »
After being homebound with the vid for a week, made it out yesterday afternoon with some friends to get some fresh air and drop a jig. Ended up being a pretty good bite with a decent amount of eater crappie and a few whites.  Lots of dink yellows that were either put back or thrown to the eagles that were flying around.

Nice work, I Had pretty much the same results where I was….fed the eagle and the afternoon bite turned on just around 3:30, came home with a nice batch of crappies a whites….fish tacos for lunch today
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2023, 11:02 AM »
I use a spring bobber for everything now when i jig it makes a huge difference, the small ones you describe are useless imo way too pricey and flimsy, Try out the HT big eye spring bobbers there awesome. The just work and you wont be disappointed I wont jig without them especially on the soft up bites its a game changer.
Salmonemia

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2023, 11:04 AM »
Nice work, I Had pretty much the same results where I was….fed the eagle and the afternoon bite turned on just around 3:30, came home with a nice batch of crappies a whites….fish tacos for lunch today
Well done to you both....

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2023, 11:06 AM »
I use a spring bobber for everything now when i jig it makes a huge difference, the small ones you describe are useless imo way too pricey and flimsy, Try out the HT big eye spring bobbers there awesome. The just work and you wont be disappointed I wont jig without them especially on the soft up bites its a game changer.

I endorse this post. It’s spot on. No clue what brand mine are but they do have a big eye and a big orangish bead indicator. They are a game changer. You’ll even see when they come up under and continue up on the strike and the indicator flattens Back to level. Something I don’t care if you are the oldest of old timers, you’d of missed those hits I’ll clue ya.

Offline Steve01987

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2023, 11:10 AM »
nice work Steve!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2023, 11:28 AM »
Nice work yes the spring bobbers were definitely a game changer!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2023, 11:57 AM »
I endorse this post. It’s spot on. No clue what brand mine are but they do have a big eye and a big orangish bead indicator. They are a game changer. You’ll even see when they come up under and continue up on the strike and the indicator flattens Back to level. Something I don’t care if you are the oldest of old timers, you’d of missed those hits I’ll clue ya.
Exactly right Frank.
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:31 PM »

Well ya!, because us oldest of old timers cant see or feel a damn thing I'll clue ya  ;D

I like the ones(fish) that rip the rod out of your  hand, no patience for finessing  these beasts to.eat..
But if you are inclined  to play patty cake with your proposed dinner, spring bobbers are the way to go, mine are with my smelt gear and they can stay there  :P

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 06, 2023, 01:52 PM »
Well ya!, because us oldest of old timers cant see or feel a damn thing I'll clue ya  ;D

I like the ones(fish) that rip the rod out of your  hand, no patience for finessing  these beasts to.eat..
But if you are inclined  to play patty cake with your proposed dinner, spring bobbers are the way to go, mine are with my smelt gear and they can stay there  :P

Lmfao!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2023, 02:18 PM »
I've got spring bobbers in with my terminal tackle somewhere... If need be I just pinch a kink in the line and watch that, the kink will show the up bites as well, as my need for glasses gets bigger I may change my opinion lol...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2023, 02:44 PM »
Look like the afternoon bite was better than the morning  bite.. not surprising with the moon..nice batch of fish.
Yesterdays morning bite was dismal but 3 of us limited out on yellows in the late afternoon.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2023, 04:10 PM »
Yesterdays morning bite was dismal but 3 of us limited out on yellows in the late afternoon.
That's full moon fishing  for ya.

Offline NHTROUTNUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work is for days i don't fish
« Reply #24 on: Feb 06, 2023, 07:57 PM »
Nice crappie

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 06, 2023, 10:54 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Gotta get up your way some time.

Ice fishing is only mediocre up this way, but open water season is worth a trip.

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2023, 05:38 AM »
I'm with Roccus!  I don't eat fish.  And going after perch or whites seems like a reward only if you are going to fry them.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2023, 07:01 AM »

Moonrise at the same time as sunrise is lakers delight.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2023, 07:17 AM »
Nice job conquering covid & getting some fish to eat, too.   ;D

Since everyone else chimed in about spring bobbers, I will, too...

The only time that I use them is if I break a rod tip....then I cut the rod back to the next viable guide & then l wrap a spring bobber w/ rod building thread to replace the tip, 2 coats of rod building epoxy & let spin on a rod turner until dry.  Works great & a good way to re-use a busted rod.

For everything else that needs a super light touch, I prefer noodle rods.  The flat line rods (the rods w/ the UL flat running tip) are a good choice, too.  Google for more info.

The old "spring" style clip-on spring bobbers were a nightmare....not only did they constantly fall off, but the springs would ice up terribly at 33F. The newer titanium ones are better - esp. w/ the big eyes (resists icing)...but they come in various deflections....some are so light as to be useless.....some are so stiff that they are pretty much useless, too.  You can somewhat adjust the "springy-ness" by how much of the wire is extended beyond the rod tip.  Once you've got the length dialed in, then you can cut off the clip & epoxy on permanently (as above).

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2023, 06:23 AM »
Ice fishing is only mediocre up this way, but open water season is worth a trip.

I'll haul my Lund up this spring then. Let's figure something out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.