Author Topic: Salmon on Jigs??  (Read 21083 times)

Offline TroutKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Salmon on Jigs??
« on: Mar 02, 2005, 12:27 PM »
I was wonder if anyone could give me any pointers on catching landlocked salmon on artificial lures through the ice. There's a couple of lakes here in Maine where you can fish for them with artificial lures only (no tipping with bait) but I don't have a clue where to fish for em, what to fish with, or how to jig for em. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

TroutKing

Offline ice fishNH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Salmon on Jigs??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2005, 01:07 PM »
Buddy of mine caught (and released) a nice salmon a couple weeks ago on Winni (in NH) on a swedish pimple (tipped with worm), jigging about a foot off of bottom in about 20-22 fow.   Probably not much different without the worm.
fishNH @ MFF  huntNH @ MHF

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2005, 03:45 PM »
Most landlocks are more like 5 feet under the ice here in Lake George, New York. We fish with tipups mostly, so I can only guess what to jig with. My guess would be a Swedish Pimples.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2005, 04:50 PM »
 I've seen a few guys actually catch salmon in deep water on bottom while fishing for perch?? Weirdest thing iv'e ever seen and i wouldnt of believed it if i didnt see it my self.
Jason

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2005, 09:07 PM »
I've seen a few guys actually catch salmon in deep water on bottom while fishing for perch?? Weirdest thing iv'e ever seen and i wouldnt of believed it if i didnt see it my self.
That's weird. Kingfisher, you do agree that salmon are topwater level fish?

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2005, 03:09 PM »

Well you have to realize if you're fishing for perch you're not really fishing deep water.  The deepest anybody's jiggin perch at the king is at most 45ft.  The salmon move through the grass like the lakers looking for smelt and sculpins.   
Exactly. A fish down 20 feet in 20 feet of water is just a far down as a fish 20 feet in 200 feet. Salmon do cruise through weeds looking for smelt, although its not where you would typically look for them.

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2005, 11:46 PM »
Slipbob, i woudlnt say 45 feet is the most, i've fished them in 60 feet and caught big ones and little ones both.
 Pasquatch, yes i do agree, all the salmon i have caught have been in the first 15 feet of the water column.
Jason

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 05, 2005, 06:54 AM »
Slipbob, i woudlnt say 45 feet is the most, i've fished them in 60 feet and caught big ones and little ones both.
60 feet is alot deeper than most people ever fish for perch, though. That's kind of the exception, not the rule. :)

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 20, 2005, 09:44 PM »
i ve caught them in 100' of water, just under the ice though. try a pearl 3-4in tube w/ a 3/8oz. jig worked about 15ft down. no need for bait. caught many sal. on this lure.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:28 PM »
i like little cleo's tipped with power bait. thats what i do when you can't use bait. in me.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline JohnPorter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 09:57 PM »
A white single tail grub fished on a red jig head has done wonders for me. Also do like jacksmelt71 said and try those tubebaits.

MY COMPETITION STANDS NO CHANCE !!!!!!!

Offline pin smelt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wherever ye shalll be, let your flag fly free.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 01:34 PM »
A hand tyed pin smelt pattern on a #14 hook with bead eyes works great.  I'll take some pictures of last years left overs and post them next week.  A small rubber body shiner threaded onto a lead headed jig painted black with yellow eyes also works nice.
Happy trails to you.......until we meet again....

Offline triple threat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2006, 09:53 PM »
try fishing the little tough guy jig form gitzit in the 1/8oz size with the blue back it looks just like a smelt. ive caught more salmon on this one lure than any other both open water and ice fishing its deadly effective. also try the #3 chart. swedish pimple i have had excelent luck with this lure also. these lures work better than we want them to because we cant keep salmon here on winnie. but they also work for rainbows so thats why we fish them. so good luck I hope this info helps you out.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2006, 06:08 AM »
Most landlocks are more like 5 feet under the ice here in Lake George, New York. We fish with tipups mostly, so I can only guess what to jig with. My guess would be a Swedish Pimples.
I caught a 27" by accident.I was sounding out a little cove with a gold pimple and he took it on the freefall just under the ice.What a surprise that was.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2006, 03:24 PM »
LGJEFF: Had a similar experience last March on Blue Mtn. lake.  Was bored and for a goof was jigging a 5" long Williams Wobbler Whitefish, this big long silver thing and got slammed by a LL on the way down to the bottom in 40 FOW.  Too bad he was out of season and had to throw him back!!

Mike K

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2006, 07:34 AM »
#5 or 6 swedish pimples. pearl white has always been my favorite with a little chunk of gulp, in a glow color.
da splake chaser

Offline jhawkes2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2006, 09:05 AM »
I've caught them on northland airplane jigs.. a lot of fun.  I caught one (20") that was about 30 feet down.  I was dropping the jig down to the abyss for cusk and the big-boy hit 'er hard.  I also caught a few fish deeper that day on live bait.... very surprising.  I was targeting togue (80+ feet of H2O) and caught a couple of shorts (14") 30 ft off the bottom... it was late in the year and a sunny day with no snow cover, so it probably had a lot to do with where the fish were located.

131 days left!!!

Offline Whitefish Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2009, 03:32 PM »
we fish for salmon here on lake superior with swedish pimples
That's weird. Kingfisher, you do agree that salmon are topwater level fish?
i agre that most salmon are in the upper part of the water coloumn but lat year a guy caught a salmon in 70 fow on the bottom fishin for whitefish
Catch And Release Strait To The Grease!!!!!!!

Offline hairbone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:26 PM »
I caught a 27" by accident.I was sounding out a little cove with a gold pimple and he took it on the freefall just under the ice.What a surprise that was.

Have caught and witnessed a few on the small perch size pimple while perch fishing and on a LT sized pimple along deep rocky drop off.  I wouldn't bother trying to jig for salmon as it would just be an incidental catch even for lake george

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2010, 05:58 AM »
Try Marabou jigs, in Black, purple, and then the bright colors.

You could also try airplane jigs, Swedish pimples and other types of Jigging spoons.

If you use jigs, make sure they have a strong hook.  I don't think the thin wire hooks for Crappie would work very well.

I use different colored Marabou jigs while float fishing for Salmon and Steelhead in fall and spring.

If you are not allowed to use bait, you could try powerbait or another product such as Gulp!

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Salmon are not easy to jig through the ice...given their cruising/suspended nature during the winter.  But it can be done.

Small jigging spoons can work well.  Make sure you have a flasher as well...the salmon can be anywhere in the water column, and are often within the top 20 feet of the water column.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2010, 10:08 AM »
Outdoorsman has a good point.

If you can set out tip ups,  try a three-way rig to a spin-n-glo .

I would use a longer leader with this set up.

If you are still interested in the jigging idea, here's a couple of websites for you.

http://pnwws.com/cgi-bin/firstbitejigs/store/store.pl?cart_id=9140445.4464

http://www.northforkfishingoutfitters.com

Any size and color, but with much stronger hooks than you will normally find.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2010, 08:26 PM »
I have caught landlocks on a jigging rappala and on perch jigs by accident. Was jigging for perch and lakers.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2024, 02:38 PM »
Salmon are not easy to jig through the ice...given their cruising/suspended nature during the winter.  But it can be done.

Jigging is the ONLY way I do it. And I have caught 8 in a half day. Not that hard if you stick to it.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.