Author Topic: electric drills  (Read 4506 times)

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
electric drills
« on: Nov 15, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Yes this topic has been beaten nearly to death, but what are your recommendations? 18,20, 24 volt? 2ah? 4ah? Hammer? no hammer? Clam plate? simple adapter bolt?
My old gas auger is about done, and I think its time to go electric.

Sling some ice chips or mud my way, what do I need?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: electric drills
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:04 AM »
(1) auger that can attach to drill.
(2) cordless drill with enough torque and battery life to cut all the holes you will need in a day.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:12 AM »
You don't run in hammer mode. Lot of the high torque drills have the hammer option

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:12 AM »
Yes this topic has been beaten nearly to death, but what are your recommendations? 18,20, 24 volt? 2ah? 4ah? Hammer? no hammer? Clam plate? simple adapter bolt?
My old gas auger is about done, and I think its time to go electric.

Sling some ice chips or mud my way, what do I need?
The most common setup is the Milwaukee 18v Fuel, I also see a lot of DeWalt 20v drills out on the ice and have buddies with both setups. Any high quality brushless drill will do ok, what you have to look for are battery capacities. If you drill a lot of holes you're going to want multiple higher amp/hour batteries and a way to keep them warm; if you're not a hole hopper then a single lower capcity battery will probably do you fine.

Regarding the Clam plate, it's more of a personal preference thing. If you're a full grown adult male with an above average grip, the drill's handle will be fine, just make sure you hang on.

My personal recommendation, if you drill a lot of holes get a dedicated electric auger like the SM or Ion. They're faster, and the batteries are much higher capacity. The most holes I've drilled on one battery with my 40v SM is 89 holes through 23" of ice. It was not long after I got the auger and I kept track just to see what it'd do and the battery still had two bars left. I got the auger when they had the free battery special going on, but to be honest I've never needed two. I could see it being nice if you were going to be away from an outlet for a few days, though.

I'd also recommend staying away from K-Drills. They were a fad when drilling first got popular, but there are tons of better options out there now. K-Drills use chipper blades and they're super slow (maybe that doesn't concern you), Eskimo, Clam, and StrikeMaster all have lightweight auger flighting out now that have shaver blades. These cut faster and in my experience are easier on battery life. Don't let anyone try to tell you you need chipper blades to reopen holes, that's a bunch of crap. Most power augers now have pilot points which make chipper blades obsolete in my opinion.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:14 AM »
If you want a better answer tailored to the way you fish, you need to give some more information.

Do you have any other cordless tools you could expand upon?

Do you run and gun and cut a lot of holes, or can you get by with cutting 20 or so holes in a trip?

What's your budget?

If you get bored waiting for replies, you can go back a few days and read the last post on this subject, then read the one from a few days before that, and so on.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:28 AM »
Most auger manufacturers recommend drills.. 18 volt brushless 750 in/lbs or better torque..4ah batteries or better  ...as for the Clam Plate ..it offers stability ..gets drill off the ice when not in use .. Milwaukee 2803/2804..DeWalt 991/996 are the most popular brands/models .

A center point on the auger drill unit is most helpful..prevents skipping on glare ice etc...there are 3 blade types Chipper (K-Drill) Lazer(SM Lite Flight and various others ) and Mora style blade .

My only advice is follow the above recommendations ..if you get an under torqued drill and/or underpowered batterys..your set up may be an epic fail and perform poorly ..lots of great information on this site on drills and auger dril unit set ups ..research set a budget and go big or go home .

Good video on the blade types and speed .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2019, 10:32 AM »
milwaukee fuel, clam plate, and mora. I use 5ah batteries, I usually only use 1 per outing but carry a spare. Oh and I have an extension for the auger. That set up I would recommend to anyone. I like the clamplate for comfort when drilling but I really like that it keeps the drill up off the ice and snow when you lay it down.The extra battery, I use the milwuakee adapter to charge my phone when on the ice because my phone battery dies quick in the cold at this point.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:12 AM »
You can't beat this outfit in 6" or 8" powered by a Milwaukee 18 volt 2804 (bare tool-$90 on eBay) And a bigger battery. You can use the drill in the off season at home and in the garage. No need for a dedicated electric auger unless you're going to swiss cheese the lake! Milwaukee offers a 12 amp battery that will run you all day plus!!! :icefish:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/e-drill-nylon-hand-auger-kit?a=2214885
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2019, 11:14 AM »
You can't beat this outfit in 6" or 8" powered by a Milwaukee 18 volt 2804 (bare tool-$90 on eBay) And a bigger battery. You can use the drill in the off season at home and in the garage. No need for a dedicated electric auger unless you're going to swiss cheese the lake! Milwaukee offers a 12 amp battery that will run you all day plus!!! :icefish:

Ditto...Ditto
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Either the Milwaukee or the Ridgid Octane IMO. I run the Ridgid and haven't had any issues what-so-ever, but some guys last year were complaining of cut outs.

Offline GBguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:07 PM »
I also have the Rigid Octane, and it has a lifetime replacement warranty on the drill AND battery.

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:21 PM »
Lots of great advice so far! One poster asked about how I fish, so... I fish mostly river backwaters and small lakes. on average Im out for a half day, and usually do several spots. last year when my gas auger started crapping out my hole count really dropped. I have neck and shoulder issues. so I would fish more time than needed on unproductive spots.
Whatever drill I end up with this year it will probably be connected to my 6 in Mora. I would really like to get back to hole hopping to find the best water!
My current drill ( general use) is a 1/2 in Kobalt 24 volt with a 2ah battery

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:41 PM »
I like my K-drill, it gets a lot of flack on here but it works great for me. I don't drill a ton of holes so a 5ah battery on my M18 drill will easily last all weekend. Easily 50 holes through 2 feet of ice, probably more. Not the fastest but I can likely drill through my hardwood floor, the subfloor and even hit a floor joist or two with nails and still go drill ice later that day no problem. The shaver drills are definitely faster and yes, better on battery but I don't care. I don't miss a lot of fish in that 1.3 seconds a shaver blade might save me. One big thing I like about the K-drill is being able to drill overlapping holes. I like a 6" hole in the flip for the camera and sonar, but with tip ups outside I drill a triangle of overlapping holes and make myself a 12" opening. Same for cusk traps. I don't think that is possible with a shaver blade but I might be wrong because I don't pay attention to the auger wars on here. 
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:41 PM »
I see that drill is rated at 650 in/lbs and with a 2ah battery you're going to struggle pretty bad. I see you can buy a 4ah battery for $50, but iat that torque level it's gonna be a chore and damn hard on the drill.

I'd pony up for the Milwaukee or DeWalt.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 15, 2019, 01:45 PM »
One big thing I like about the K-drill is being able to drill overlapping holes....I don't think that is possible with a shaver blade but I might be wrong because I don't pay attention to the auger wars on here.
Most all of the shaver blades today have pilot points so you can definitely drill overlapping holes.

I don't hate the K-Drill, when it came out it was a good idea that no one really had on a big scale like that. But they've let everyone else catch up without innovating and I'd guess you'll see them fade away in the next few years.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #15 on: Nov 15, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Found this on another site,  seems it has more power than the Milwaukee for the same price.  https://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/concrete/dewalt-cordless-drill-mixer-dcd130-review/44500/

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 15, 2019, 06:11 PM »
Ahhhh the drill season is back.
I'm not gonna pick sides brands or colors as it just makes people angry, very angry kind of like which is better Ford, Chevy or etc.
At the very top of the list what I would look at is the warranty of the tool and battery! Read it very carefully and understand it.
With the current "brushless" motor technology most company's have gone to the serviceability of the tool has all but gone away.
For the most part if anything goes wrong with the electronics (which is the motor switch etc.) the electronic assembly has to be bought as a unit and is very expensive!
On most (with a few exceptions) if the switch goes south a very expensive electronic unit will be necessary.
In the majority of cases the electronics unit is more than a bare tool.
Warranties vary from 1 year to lifetime, and as I said earlier please read the warranty carefully as some are not what they appear.
And just in case make friends with your "local" tool repair man as he may become your best friend!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2019, 06:25 PM »
Ford is obviously MUCH better.
Veritas Odium Parit

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2019, 07:03 PM »
Lots of great advice so far! One poster asked about how I fish, so... I fish mostly river backwaters and small lakes. on average Im out for a half day, and usually do several spots. last year when my gas auger started crapping out my hole count really dropped. I have neck and shoulder issues. so I would fish more time than needed on unproductive spots.
Whatever drill I end up with this year it will probably be connected to my 6 in Mora. I would really like to get back to hole hopping to find the best water!

Docent look like your current drill and batteries will get you into the cordless drill/auger game ..your 6" Mora will be fine for a cordless set up ..I would recommend the Clam Plate and the Clam Plate auger extension based on your shoulder/neck issues regardless of which drill you choose.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline thedirtydirtyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 16, 2019, 09:25 AM »
I also run the Kobalt 24v 1/2inch drill
I run a nils 8 inch, and ive use the nils 6 inch
Ive had the drill for 3 years now and i can say that it has been up for the challenge
I would say that battery life is not great with the 2 amp batteries so im gonna jump up to the 4 or 6 this year

Offline phil c

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 16, 2019, 02:36 PM »
I also run the Kobalt 24v 1/2inch drill
I run a nils 8 inch, and ive use the nils 6 inch
Ive had the drill for 3 years now and i can say that it has been up for the challenge
I would say that battery life is not great with the 2 amp batteries so im gonna jump up to the 4 or 6 this year

Lets say 18 inch ice, with 8 in bit. how many holes you get on a 2ah battery and faster or slower than a hand auger?

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 16, 2019, 03:40 PM »
I have rigid octane too. Clam plate and 8 inch lazer. Love it! Gotta slow that puppy down when getting close to going thru (I assume any of the high torque drills) you will get wet. Lol
I had it cut out few times. It doesn't bug me , only did when just starting, never cut out while drilling.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 16, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Holes on a two amp at 18 inch?
Depends how cold too.
And auger style.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 16, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Lets say 18 inch ice, with 8 in bit. how many holes you get on a 2ah battery and faster or slower than a hand auger?

Docent look like your current drill and batteries will get you into the cordless drill/auger game ..your 6" Mora will be fine for a cordless set up ..I would recommend the Clam Plate and the Clam Plate auger extension based on your shoulder/neck issues regardless of which drill you choose.

Thats alot of ice for a 2ah battery plus an 8 inch auger. … gonna have to up them AH or you will be very disappointed .

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2019, 02:49 PM »
I wouldn't think the kdrill is going any place.   

Just look at flashers.  Not much has changed with them.  Still the same basic thing.  It shows bottom, fish and lures and people catch fish.   

The kdrill still drills holes.  😁
Don

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2019, 04:14 PM »
I wouldn't think the kdrill is going any place.   

Just look at flashers.  Not much has changed with them.  Still the same basic thing.  It shows bottom, fish and lures and people catch fish.   

The kdrill still drills holes.  😁

It isn't, took everyone else 6+ years to catch up, until someone makes a similar/better chipper they don't need to change a thing.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2019, 04:42 PM »
re batt size---I have two 2A-Hr batts.  I got 10-15 holes thru about 2 ft of ice last winter. That's plenty for me.(6" Mora)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Reginald Bonz III

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:02 PM »
3ah Dewalt 20vmax
6 in k drill
12 inches of ice
20 holes
20 degrees
Still two lights on battery
Keep those holes clean and smooth

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 21, 2019, 07:46 PM »
I think this is getting over thunk lol
Kiss

Offline minnow_master

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 22, 2019, 09:46 AM »
changing the topic a bit, do you all have any safety devices for preventing the bit from falling through the hole?  I know the Eskimo has that plate and the k-drill has that foam flotation thingy.  Looking for ideas, thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.