Author Topic: Truck to get to the ice  (Read 1226 times)

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
Truck to get to the ice
« on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:47 AM »
I'm thinking on upgrading trucks, my current ride is a 2005 F150 with the 5.4L, topper, tow gear, etc. All around I like it a lot but it is getting tired.

Considering Ford and Chevy/GMC for replacement, either way I want to know what you all think of the 5-7 year old rigs you have considering the engine, rear gear options, and how they tow.  I tow a 4 place snowmobile trailer with a tall snocap and want something that will be able to pull it without much worry.

I know this argument is as much emotions and tradition as anything, but these days trucks are commodities for the most part so I'm considering them all(accept Dodge, they still suck).

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Truck to get to the ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:52 AM »
I am real happy with my '17 GMC Sierra but I would not want to own it for longer than 5 years. I drive 35-45k miles a year so my new trucks are done in 5 years. This truck had rusty frames welds when it was sitting on the lot and I bought brand new. Shocks are all rusting and it's their pride and joy ZR51 suspension package. It drives great and get's good mileage even towing my big trailer. I love it, but I'm already looking for my next one.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Tesla Cybertruck.  40k.  can reserve yours for $100!

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:07 AM »
My 250 does everything I need it to. Chugs fuel though. Next truck will be diesel.

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:24 AM »

I wonder how the RW drive will do in snow and ice (I'm sure the 50K AWD will do fine). When you get over the look it looks like it will be a promising futuristic military grade looking vehicle. If they can deliver them at $40K that would make things fantastic....too bad their timelines are usually way off.

By the way I have 4WD Tacoma and got stuck pretty bad last year in about a foot of snow...took hours to dig the truck out.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:25 AM »
 I’ve been a Chevy man for decades , well I bought a new 2017 Ford 150 , works for me
 The Telsa cyber trucks unbreakable glass broke during test opps

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:29 AM »

Everyone is making the move from gas augers to electric, wonder how long before the lakes are covered in electric cars  ???
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:30 AM »
My 05 f150  crew  just turned over at 119,000 miles this morning.   ;D  I wish it had the new aluminum body otherwise I dont think i would be looking for a new one..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:38 AM »
My 2016 Ram works ok for being a Dodge- ;D

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:42 AM »

Any truck that gets you to your destination and back is a good truck JMO

Offline Kourcha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:49 AM »

Everyone is making the move from gas augers to electric, wonder how long before the lakes are covered in electric cars  ???
I wouldn't imagine anytime soon especially since most EVs have a hard time under cold temps you lose like a third of your range under 30 degrees Fahrenheit alone

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2019, 11:54 AM »
I have a 2014 F150 FX4 with the 3.5 eco with 94K miles on it, great truck so far, no major issues, couple minor things that were covered under warranty early on. It tows great, and I like the electronic locking rear diff - this has come in handy 3 times to date :)

Offline adieatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2019, 01:37 PM »
I'm thinking on upgrading trucks, my current ride is a 2005 F150 with the 5.4L, topper, tow gear, etc. All around I like it a lot but it is getting tired.

Considering Ford and Chevy/GMC for replacement, either way I want to know what you all think of the 5-7 year old rigs you have considering the engine, rear gear options, and how they tow.  I tow a 4 place snowmobile trailer with a tall snocap and want something that will be able to pull it without much worry.

I know this argument is as much emotions and tradition as anything, but these days trucks are commodities for the most part so I'm considering them all(accept Dodge, they still suck).

How tired is your 05' getting? If you like it I have a 2009 5.4 XLT I'm selling. Brand new rubber on it and only 107k miles. Only reason I'm upgrading is for family size and needing a crew cab. Currently mine is the supercrew, just need the full 4 doors. Asking $9,500 clear title in hand. Lots of life left in her.

Offline hookset81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2019, 01:55 PM »
Thanks for the offer adieatrick but I'll pass. 

In the last two weeks she has given me hell, blew reverse out of the tranny backing up to the sled trailer I had just bought, tranny shop jostled the exhaust enough that it caused the exhaust leaks to get bad enough to need to replace the manifolds. It needed brakes and rotors, found then that it needed a tie rod end and ball joints....you get the idea.  Other than the tranny and exhaust manifolds I consider the rest to be cost of ownership type stuff.  The tranny is what it is, the exhaust is just plain bad design.  I am just considering cutting my losses and upgrading now. I've got it all done except the exhaust so I can still get some decent trade or outright sale out of it if I move now.  If not, I will fix the exhaust and keep it a few more years!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2019, 03:29 PM »

You wanker. It’s mopar or no car. Son @) @)
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.