Author Topic: Lake Manitoba (Delta)  (Read 2273 times)

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont catch today? There is alway's tommorow!!
Lake Manitoba (Delta)
« on: Dec 26, 2005, 07:49 PM »
Yesterday I did not plan to fish today at all but at about 1 o'clock I check the temperature and it was above 5 C so I said time to go and check what delta is like. I got there at about 2, there were about 7 other vehicles there before me, on my way out on the lake I stopped to chat with a few of the people that were only about 200 yards from shore, they did not catch much at all. In the distance I could see a few people where I usually like to fish about a 15 minute walk on the lake, it was a super nice day to be outside all I was wearing was jeans and a sweater it was awesome. The people close to shore scared me because they said that they hardly got trough the ice with their Jiffy's and the extension on it. I only had my 6" hand auger with me, so I walked a bit further out that usuall and soon as I drop my line something hit's it hard I said to my self that's not a perch and sure enough I managed to land a 30" pike, it was awesome. After that both of my rod's were going crazy lot's of bites only caught 6 perch tho in 30 min. then the action just died after about 3:30 the odd bite every 20 min. While I was still trying to catch a few fish some people that were about 50 yards further than I was made their way back to shore and I asked them how the fishing was they said it was amazing they had a totall of 84 perch in between the two of them, magic time was from 9 am to 12 after that it was on and off.
Folks Delta is getting Hot for the non stop perch action. Ice condition right at delta is not to bad ski-doo's were out there, ice where there is no snow is still a bit rough. 200 yards on to the lake the ice is any where from 2 to 3 feet. About 900 yards out it's only about 20 ". To make delta worth while right now I would say be there before 9 am and walk out at least 15 min. or 900 '. Before I forget, I had something huge on it snapped the line like nothing, my guess a big Mr. Burbot.
Anyway that's that about Delta.
<'(()))<

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Manitoba (Delta)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2005, 07:54 PM »
 Nice that means that we will have to go a little further ;D ;D.And awsome job on the 30" Pike man that is a biggen.....Jiffy..... :tipup: :tipup:
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:14 PM »
Icebraker, thats the thing with those darn perch. Can fish for hours with limited luck and some guy 200 yards away gets a pail. Just have to move around plenty till you find them. I fish Twin quite a bit and find the bite to end around 11:00 also. Can pick up in the afternoon should the sun be out. Perch then seem to bite best on smaller salties...guess it's what they want.
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:36 PM »
Great report Icebraker  ;D
Gee wiz, you didn't even mention how BIG that pike was when we were together again today @ EOM.....WOW!  :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:
Looks like Delta could be on my radar b4 my holidays are over.
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Perch pounder and I hope to hit Delta before the week is out and he has to go back to work, and I have to go back to being retired. ;)
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2005, 07:58 PM »
its usually worth the lonnnnnnnnng walk out to the second or third pressure ridge on Delta.....heck....if TH was around with his sled, he just might end at the North end of the lake!!  ;D...seriously....the ridges are the key.....Grump

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Perch pounder and I hope to hit Delta before the week is out and he has to go back to work, and I have to go back to being retired. ;)
I'm thinking the same thing after today  ::)

Offline Jumbo Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its not a passion, its an obsession!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:06 PM »
   Well Icebraker and i headed out to Delta today and we arrived there at about quarter after seven. It was pitch black but we had our handy dandy spot lights to guide the way, we went about 1 mile straight out from the east beach and didn't get a bite untill we moved straight north of the diversion where we ended up staying for the rest of the day. Count for the end of the day, Jumbo Master-18 keepers, Icebraker-14 keepers. It was a really slow day and i sure hope it gets better, but we still had fun anyway and some good laughs!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Couple Jumbos I caught

Icebraker breaking the ice and hauling them in!!!

Pile of perch at the end of the day >:( >:(

Offline icebraker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont catch today? There is alway's tommorow!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2005, 06:21 PM »
Hey thanks for the awesome pic's Jumbo Master, ya the day did not go as good as we hoped it would be, guy's don't go out unless it's sunny outside because you have to walk out a long way's to catch a few fish. The action should pick up soon tho.

<'(()))<

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:52 PM »
Great job guys  ;D  :bow:
My friend did not make it out today....he's hoping for tomorrow. ::)
When I read the post....I thought to myself....holy  :%$#!: , that's a lot of walking  :flex:, then I saw the snowmobile  :woot:
So the plan is drive on at east beach and head west to Diversion.....all on good ice :thumbsup: Works for me  :D

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2005, 09:53 PM »
Good to see some fish caught...what sort of sizes were you ending up with?

Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Jumbo Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Its not a passion, its an obsession!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:49 PM »
 Hey thriller, the perch were not as big as they usually are, we caught a lot of samll ones that were released. The biggest ones we caught were around 9 to 10 inchs.
                                                                      JM 8)

dr.d

« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2005, 06:26 AM »
Wednesday 28 Dec,

Went out to Delta a bit late in the day as my fishing partner couldn't leave untill later. We arrived at Delta and walked out about a km or more and drilled a few holes.

My son took off checking out the gut piles the commercial fishermen left and came back with an assortment of fish. Pike, tullibee, burbot, a couple perch, carp and one kind of fish I still have to identify. The fish he brought back for me to see were still alive! I could not beleive that the commercial fishermen did not throw them back into the hole. What waste!!

Anyway, my fish finder was marking a heck of alot of fish but they just were not biting. We ended up leaving at about 430 to head down to Tims in Portage.

From what I am reading here the morning is the best time to fish Delta.

D

Offline Jiffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2005, 09:24 AM »
 Awsome shots nice Perch. ;D ;D
Jaymes Hiebert

Humminbird - Jiffy - Clam Corp - Mr. Heater - Berkely

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.