New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032350 times)

Offline nys

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7620 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:34 PM »
Oneida virgin looking for a little help. Heading up Friday, and was wondering where the shortest walk to decent perch grounds might be. Being a little long in the tooth but still having a little get up and go, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.   

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7621 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:48 PM »
Might have to change my handle to "right place, wrong time". Ice seemed to be a touch softer tonite fish are there just wrong time slot. Work comes first. NYS if you get to Lewis Pt by 6 on fri you should be good, about half mile to decent fishing.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7622 on: Mar 02, 2022, 06:16 PM »

Offline nys

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7623 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:07 PM »
Thanks XC600. Very much appreciate a starting point to begin the quest. Not afraid to work for my dinner! If you need any info for the smaller western finger lakes pm me. That’s where I spend my days on the hard water.

Offline zadvorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gobi Dick sank my boat!
« Reply #7624 on: Mar 02, 2022, 09:24 PM »
Started at Lewis. Water was muddy. Lots of marks this morning but no takers. Went to Messenger. Hopped around a little. Water stained. A couple perch and lots of short eyes. Drove down to Shackleton.  Hit a few spots with little to show. Hit two spots in front of Chapman's.  Didn't even get a bite. Went back to messenger for my final stand. Almost fell out of my chair napping. The sun came out and it got way to hot inside.  Last two hours had lots of shorts. I changed to a cicada and used a perch belly for bait. A mark came in and I set the hook so hard the pole came out of my hand. A 21 inch eye and a PB for this lake. I had 2 15s after that and more shorts. That was a long azz day. I bet I did more that 10 miles on the snowdog. I had fumes in the tank back at the truck.

If life were easy everybody would have one.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7625 on: Mar 03, 2022, 06:18 AM »
Fished yesterday from 8:30-2:30. Fished the same holes the whole time I was out. Was over a good school of fish but had to do some sorting. Iced 36 perch with 15 being keeper sized perch and 2 nice keeper walleye. Caught fish on raps with minnow head, raps without bait, and spoon with perch eye.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7626 on: Mar 03, 2022, 06:39 AM »

Well done Bob
 Nice eye Zad

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7627 on: Mar 03, 2022, 07:47 AM »

Offline Catchthis44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7628 on: Mar 03, 2022, 08:04 AM »
Going out of Verona tomorrow, usually go out of Chapman, anything I need to look out for (cracks, bad shore)?  I am going early and bringing snowmobile, thanks!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7629 on: Mar 03, 2022, 08:11 AM »
The long range forecast shows some cooler weather in mid March. Hopefully we can dodge some rain on Sunday and cruise along for a while longer.

The water level came up almost 2' at the end of February. Anybody know if the gates are open?

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7630 on: Mar 03, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Nice job DeadEyez. Sounds like a nice day.
Way to persist Zadvorney... that was quite a day of traveling. Congratulations on a PB walleye and limit!!

Offline Fishin-Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7631 on: Mar 03, 2022, 01:26 PM »
Realeyez, yes all of the gates are open at the C'noy dam.  They open them up every year after boating season, late Nov- early Dec. and do not close them again until after ice out and the lake level lowers. I live within a 1/2 mile of the dam and have notice the river level has risen noticeably. My understanding is they try to keep the lake level down until ice out to avoid property damage that is likely to occur when the ice starts moving. When the ice near shore melts leaving the middle of the lake with a big mass of ice and the wind get it moving, it can pile up on shore and even get to homes along the lake. Sorry if this is more than you wanted to hear.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7632 on: Mar 03, 2022, 01:45 PM »
Understood FM. Thanks.

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7633 on: Mar 03, 2022, 06:00 PM »
The water is still a little murky here in the se corner with a little current, but the shore and the ice is holding. Nice job on the fish guys, my best perch days have been after walleye season ends.

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7634 on: Mar 04, 2022, 07:54 AM »
Really nice looking eye Zadvorney and nice job Deadeyez. Glad you're all still getting out and the ice is good. You might want to take sunscreen with you on Sunday...65 degrees!

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7635 on: Mar 04, 2022, 03:31 PM »
I was planning on my last trip tomorrow but my truck crapped the bed and ended up at the dealer with all my stuff in the back.  Won’t be done until next week some time.  Oh well I had a pretty good season.  Two great trips and a bunch of one meal trips.  Good luck to everyone still going out.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7636 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:47 PM »
chummer  sorry to hear that but i think this ice will survive for a little while

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7637 on: Mar 04, 2022, 04:55 PM »
based on forecast i think we will make close of walleye without many worries

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7638 on: Mar 04, 2022, 05:39 PM »
i  think so

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7639 on: Mar 04, 2022, 05:50 PM »
Finished my season today……
Fished out of Chapman for a couple days. Stayed overnight (2) in my hut through the snow and high winds. Thursday was tough fishing but managed a decent bucket and a limit of eyes. Bunch of shorts as well. On Wednesday I caught an 18” Brown trout on a PK flutter spoon. Was super cool! Tried to get a pic but screwed it all up. Had the pleasure of visiting with Percheyes on here. We met on the lake last season. We fished briefly together. He’s a real gentlemen w/a cool snowmobile! I measured 10- 13” of ice. Conditions were great for walking or snowmobile. Noticed today on the way in the crack by the pier opened slightly. Enjoy reading everyone’s post on here. Hope you have a great rest of the season and stay safe out there! 👍

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7640 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:35 PM »
Great job HW.

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7641 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:36 PM »
Thank you for the report hardwater on ice conditions. Tomorrow maybe better than Sunday with the weather coming in. If walking is good in in..

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7642 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:45 PM »
Thank you for the report hardwater on ice conditions. Tomorrow maybe better than Sunday with the weather coming in. If walking is good in in..

Tomorrow will be a nice day to be out. Snow was pretty hard out there today. Good luck

Offline Radneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7643 on: Mar 04, 2022, 07:45 PM »
HW,  talked to you today on my way out. Thanks for the tips.  Managed a few shorts       A great day with my son all in all.  Thanks for the ride offer on Thursday. Much appreciated. Hope to see you out there next season. Don’t work too hard and stay safe.

Offline PerchEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The "eyes" have it!
« Reply #7644 on: Mar 04, 2022, 10:15 PM »
Hardwater,
It was great trading fish stories with you on Wednesday.
You are definitely a dedicated fisherman!
I hope you have a great striper season this spring.
PerchEyes
The tug is the drug.

Offline Tigerwoodsmuskie 44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7645 on: Mar 05, 2022, 05:01 AM »
Finally! After 5 or 6 trips this year found em yesterday. Jumbos. Screen stayed lit from 8-2. First 2 were 8's, the next 28 were over 10" with 5 over 12". Then at 2:00 a school of eyes showed up, landed 2-18", lost 3 more big ones, all in about 15 minutes. Like a dummy trying to horse em up to get back down. That's why you fish this Lake. Out of Williams, just east of the Islands in 18'. A few on raps, switched to a size 4 pimple with red insert with whole buckeye. Got a bunch on deadstick with good sized buckeyes from Bartel. Only God and my wife know why I'm not in the same holes this morning.

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7646 on: Mar 05, 2022, 06:17 AM »
Got out yesterday late morning off sylvan beach and stayed through the afternoon bite.  Bounced around from 21' to 26' but never really landed on them.  Enough nice perch for a couple of meals.  Landed a few short walleye but missed all my keeper opportunities either on the way up or at the hole.   I'm really starting to question that front hook!  Ice was still solid, walk not too bad following machine trails, water fairly murky.  Probably my last trip for the season.  Stay safe and tight lines.

Offline chummer16

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7647 on: Mar 05, 2022, 06:51 AM »
Finally! After 5 or 6 trips this year found em yesterday. Jumbos. Screen stayed lit from 8-2. First 2 were 8's, the next 28 were over 10" with 5 over 12". Then at 2:00 a school of eyes showed up, landed 2-18", lost 3 more big ones, all in about 15 minutes. Like a dummy trying to horse em up to get back down. That's why you fish this Lake. Out of Williams, just east of the Islands in 18'. A few on raps, switched to a size 4 pimple with red insert with whole buckeye. Got a bunch on deadstick with good sized buckeyes from Bartel. Only God and my wife know why I'm not in the same holes this morning.
If you went to your holes today you would learn why you don’t post your location.   Congrats on the great day.  Days like that make all the memories of no fish days disappear.

Offline Tigerwoodsmuskie 44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7648 on: Mar 05, 2022, 07:02 AM »
I understand about the location thing, but this site gives me so much info, wanted to share once. I know it's where you fish also, sorry.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7649 on: Mar 05, 2022, 08:05 AM »
HW,  talked to you today on my way out. Thanks for the tips.  Managed a few shorts       A great day with my son all in all.  Thanks for the ride offer on Thursday. Much appreciated. Hope to see you out there next season. Don’t work too hard and stay safe.

Glad you had a nice day out with your son. Great to hear that👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.