New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032138 times)

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #7350 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:08 PM »
Was wondering the same thing. Hope their isn’t whitecaps on the lake Saturday lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7351 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:15 PM »

It’s a depression in the ice where snow built up in an area then melts , that fills with water , I’ve seen them over knee deep ,
 If I have time I usually stop and drill a hole to drain them

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7352 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:23 PM »
Ahh. Got ya filet. Thanks for the tip! I think I actually remember you or someone else posting somthing like that couple years back. I’ll try to do the same. Goda suck not seeing that and plowing threw on a wheeler or sled goin more than 10mph

Offline SeanP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formally known as SPN1
« Reply #7353 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:30 PM »
It’s a depression in the ice where snow built up in an area then melts , that fills with water , I’ve seen them over knee deep ,
 If I have time I usually stop and drill a hole to drain them

They make some pretty impressive whirlpools as they drain!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7354 on: Feb 17, 2022, 03:52 PM »
Ahh. Got ya filet. Thanks for the tip! I think I actually remember you or someone else posting somthing like that couple years back. I’ll try to do the same. Goda suck not seeing that and plowing threw on a wheeler or sled goin more than 10mph
2 years ago after all these years I ran into 1 and stalled my sled , Rick from apps towed me in and I took it over to KPs and drained it ,with his help , pain in the Arz 1-1.5 hrs and running like top with no damage

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7355 on: Feb 17, 2022, 04:18 PM »
you want to be careful as the water  drains it  eats that hole  and it gets  bigger

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7356 on: Feb 17, 2022, 04:22 PM »
  Where I was fishing today 8in. hole was like 12in. with in 2 or 3 hours.

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7357 on: Feb 17, 2022, 04:23 PM »
2 years ago after all these years I ran into 1 and stalled my sled , Rick from apps towed me in and I took it over to KPs and drained it ,with his help , pain in the Arz 1-1.5 hrs and running like top with no damage
man that will ruin a day of fishing in a hurry. Glad you had some good friends to help ya out

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #7358 on: Feb 17, 2022, 04:50 PM »
I read the last 10 or so pages  and got a few laughs. Wasn’t sure if the bait shop and parking situation would still be relevant on posts from 2017.  I know many of our bait shops in PA have closed in that time frame.  Thanks for your time.
Don’t worry about that guy. His name says what he is.

Your doing the right thing. Lakeside is a great place has huge collection. There is other bait shops on the lake like apps and the likes not a pro on oneida. I would recommend shelter from the wind Saturday. couldn’t tel you where the best protection is on the lake tho.
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7359 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:05 PM »
just got in , water on top varies alot from none to 6in or better, where there were 2 or 3 holes close together they maybe one big one, slick as slick can be, hope its gets cold enough to freeze most of the water but doubt it will

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7360 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:13 PM »
man that will ruin a day of fishing in a hurry. Glad you had some good friends to help ya out
I do but had to walk a 1/2 mile back in without an offer of a ride in when some stopped to see my sled in the water and me on foot , learned something else when trans Alaskans are soaked weigh 10#s apiece 😜

Offline XC 600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7361 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:40 PM »

East side of Lewis 4' high frozen slush pushed up. This is in 5' water runs from Wilson point to Lewis point. Looks a little better towards the point. Water is brownish and ice is rotten in spots. Watch for drain holes.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7362 on: Feb 17, 2022, 05:47 PM »

Thanks XC600

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7363 on: Feb 17, 2022, 07:01 PM »
Thanks for describing what an "ice depression" is F&R. Looks like we are in the middle of a "tropical depression" now.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7364 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Glad I could help an ol buzzard out. I was upset that I didn’t have the ringer on, on my phone, when you called me that morning. I went through that depression an hour before you… it was 6” deep. That area filled pretty fast. Be safe out there everyone! Gas holes will be opening up pretty good with this warm spell, rain and ice/snow melt!!
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7365 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:08 PM »
Solid report xc600!! Thanks!!😎
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7366 on: Feb 17, 2022, 08:49 PM »
Fred heading your way Saturday afternoon fishing all day sunday and Monday with little Bill and deadeyez can't believe it's my first trip this year gotta say work sucks but the money is nice

Offline Black Betty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7367 on: Feb 18, 2022, 07:45 AM »
Good morning all.  Looking to get out this afternoon at Chapman.   Wondering how the shoreline faired there.  Thanks!

Offline bigbuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7368 on: Feb 18, 2022, 08:55 AM »
Here is the webcam from Chapman's park fishing pier... Several shanties out there now.
https://owc.enterprise.earthnetworks.com/OnlineWeatherCenter.aspx?aid=7300

Offline Db1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7369 on: Feb 18, 2022, 10:28 AM »
Onieda 1 how did lady o hold up through the rain planning on sunday morning very early not sure if going from lewis or the beach any info would be appreciated

Offline oneida1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7370 on: Feb 18, 2022, 12:22 PM »
no water left on ice slick as snot shoreline was fine

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7371 on: Feb 18, 2022, 01:23 PM »
Anybody happen to know how the boat launch at Godfrey held up…or is she toast? Hoping to get wheeler out I know it doesn’t take much of a warm up and little sun to hit that ramp and all goes to hell. I’ll do jewel if I goda I just hate that damn hill

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7372 on: Feb 18, 2022, 02:21 PM »
Anybody happen to know how the boat launch at Godfrey held up…or is she toast? Hoping to get wheeler out I know it doesn’t take much of a warm up and little sun to hit that ramp and all goes to hell. I’ll do jewel if I goda I just hate that damn hill
   X2 I'm on foot but would like the same info   Coming out for Sun-Mon

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7373 on: Feb 18, 2022, 02:41 PM »
Only shot I have to fish this weekend is tomorrow gonna try be there 530 and fish till the wind kicks me off the ice.  If we don’t hear any word I will keep ya posted on what I find out 62

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7374 on: Feb 18, 2022, 02:54 PM »
Thanks Iceman I'll be doing a local tournament Sat and coming up sun AM

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7375 on: Feb 18, 2022, 03:03 PM »
[/quote
I would be careful with the boat launch ,
 I’d spud it first , I always launched off the rocks , guys have gotten mud baths there just my .02

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7376 on: Feb 18, 2022, 03:39 PM »
Thanks for the heads up filet. Your .02 is always appreciated in my book. I too have seen a couple poor souls take a bath in my years of fishing there. I have walked off the rocks before years ago. I remember one year having to cross 6 floating pallets to get on the sheet  ::) what a day of fishing though. Would you recommend taking a machine over the rocks, or is that more of a on foot thing?

Offline Tigerwoodsmuskie 44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7377 on: Feb 18, 2022, 04:53 PM »
I don't know why they call that Lake Lady O, there are many days she is not a Lady, and tomorrow will be one of them. Just sayin.

Offline Black Betty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7378 on: Feb 18, 2022, 06:09 PM »
Just got off from chapman.  Ice is beautiful.  Like traveling on the thruway.  16 inches solid diamond ice 2 miles out.  Shoreline is great.  Good luck. 

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7379 on: Feb 18, 2022, 06:18 PM »

Thanks BB

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.