New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1032330 times)

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #3690 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:02 AM »
The extended forecast finally looks somewhat promising starting the end of next week.  Its about time.

Offline skinny4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3691 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:18 AM »
Sucks them swans get a free pass here in New Yorkistan. Should be open season on them evil creatures.....but they look so cute!!! Would love to draw a tag for one of them.

Offline smj8322

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3692 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:28 AM »
The extended forecast finally looks somewhat promising starting the end of next week.  Its about time.

I was just looking at this as well and I agree it looks pretty good.   Lets just hope they're right this time. 

Offline Zeker259

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3693 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:33 AM »
I guess this is one way to do it.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish:
Fishy, Fishy down the hole. Please come here and bend my pole. I jig and jig you take my hook and then I take you home to cook.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3694 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:14 AM »
Sucks them swans get a free pass here in New Yorkistan. Should be open season on them evil creatures.....but they look so cute!!! Would love to draw a tag for one of them.

Me to they taste so good. My buddy gets a tag every year in NC can kill 1 bird a year
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Edwards99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3695 on: Jan 08, 2020, 09:42 AM »
Hey Diehards. I'm a student up at the Cornell Biological Field Station in Bridgeport who has been studying wildlife and fish consumption at Oneida lake for the past couple of years now. My goal this winter is to quantify how ice fishing contributes to the local food basket, and I figured the best way to do that was to ask the experts themselves.
If you are interested in sparing some of your time and knowledge I have an online survey that takes about 15 minutes to do, or if you have more to say beyond how much fish you eat you can email me. Here's the link and my email address: 

https://cornell.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3yGUekrShAi7fIF

[email protected]

I love to chat about fishing so please don't be shy  ;D

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #3696 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:17 AM »
guessing that same jackass is out off the beach again today in this wind......that ice will be rocking

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3697 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:40 AM »
Darwins principle in action.......

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3698 on: Jan 08, 2020, 10:45 AM »
Hey Diehards. I'm a student up at the Cornell Biological Field Station in Bridgeport who has been studying wildlife and fish consumption at Oneida lake for the past couple of years now. My goal this winter is to quantify how ice fishing contributes to the local food basket, and I figured the best way to do that was to ask the experts themselves.
If you are interested in sparing some of your time and knowledge I have an online survey that takes about 15 minutes to do, or if you have more to say beyond how much fish you eat you can email me. Here's the link and my email address: 

[email protected]

Survey completed.

I am sure you have heard of the Wild Harvest Initiative? It is interesting to understand how much wild food we acquire and even more interesting to see how much we share with others.

Offline Edwards99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3699 on: Jan 08, 2020, 12:19 PM »
Survey completed.

I am sure you have heard of the Wild Harvest Initiative? It is interesting to understand how much wild food we acquire and even more interesting to see how much we share with others.

Yes I have! It's exciting to see Shane Mahoney bring this conversation to the forefront. As far as I understand, their data from the last 5 years is supposed to come out in 2020 and I think it will really change how the feds support conservation and recreational access in the Farm bill. The more connections made between wildlife and food security, the more valuable that undeveloped land looks on paper.   
Thank you for your support!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3700 on: Jan 08, 2020, 05:05 PM »
 Survey completed ,

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3701 on: Jan 08, 2020, 05:15 PM »

[email protected]

survey completed.
I was wondering if you could fill us in on a few Oneida fishing questions.
I hooked a bunch of sturgeon again this spring while fishing for walleye at Sylvan Beach. Are the sturgeon numbers continuing to go up on Oneida?
What is the largest one that Cornell has netted in their study?
 Do you think there will ever be an open season on sturgeon on Oneida lake ?
Are the white perch numbers going up or down?...yellow perch numbers up or down?
The millions of mayflies that hatched on Oneida was staggering again this year...windrows of tens of thousands of  mayfly shucks for hundreds of yards on the surface in many locations on the lake. What is the exact specie of mayfly? Hexagenia? Are they on the increase too?  Some walleyes and perch were stuffed with those flies for a few weeks during those hatches.
Any answers would be appreciated.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3702 on: Jan 08, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Nice lakers Fred.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3703 on: Jan 08, 2020, 05:32 PM »
Nice fish Fred fillet !
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline ice4066

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3704 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:48 PM »
didnt realize theres lakers in onieda!!!! ;D :icefish:

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3705 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Survey completed ,

nice job gentleman........yummy .......

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3706 on: Jan 08, 2020, 06:59 PM »
nice job gentleman
thanks trapper2000
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3707 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:04 PM »
goonboy I hear good things about you ......keep up the good work....nice you both scored nice fish

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3708 on: Jan 08, 2020, 07:15 PM »
Nice job on the Lakers Fred and Goon
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3709 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:29 AM »
Nice fish. Congrats to you both...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3710 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:34 AM »
 Dang , How big are those fish Fred fillet and Goonboy?
great job to both of you.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3711 on: Jan 09, 2020, 07:04 AM »
Dang , How big are those fish Fred fillet and Goonboy?
great job to both of you.

wring them out and fill a can of crisco

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3712 on: Jan 09, 2020, 08:58 AM »
Nice fish, guys. Bet they were fun!

Offline Edwards99

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3713 on: Jan 09, 2020, 09:26 AM »
survey completed.
I was wondering if you could fill us in on a few Oneida fishing questions.
I hooked a bunch of sturgeon again this spring while fishing for walleye at Sylvan Beach. Are the sturgeon numbers continuing to go up on Oneida?
What is the largest one that Cornell has netted in their study?
 Do you think there will ever be an open season on sturgeon on Oneida lake ?
Are the white perch numbers going up or down?...yellow perch numbers up or down?
The millions of mayflies that hatched on Oneida was staggering again this year...windrows of tens of thousands of  mayfly shucks for hundreds of yards on the surface in many locations on the lake. What is the exact specie of mayfly? Hexagenia? Are they on the increase too?  Some walleyes and perch were stuffed with those flies for a few weeks during those hatches.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Sure thing. As far as the surgeons go, they are still stocking 500 in the lake each year. The older ones are beginning to reproduce naturally so numbers are steadily increasing, but it will be a long time (20+ years) before anyone is confident enough to allow for an open season.  The largest sturgeon was caught just last summer at 139 lbs!
Yellow perch numbers have been increasing since 2014, and the population now is higher than it was predicted to be back in 2000. White perch numbers, however, are decreasing.
The most common mayfly on the lake that you are probably encountering is Hexagenia limbata. While there are accounts of them being insanely abundant in the 1800s their numbers crashed a few decades ago. Since then they are showing signs of recovery and we are almost sure that the numbers are increasing. The reason is unknown. 
Hope that helps.

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #3714 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Pumped to see the results of the study. Be sure to post them for us! Definitely will be paying attention.  @)

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3715 on: Jan 09, 2020, 10:15 AM »
Thanks for the good info Edwards!

Offline ShaneO19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3716 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:07 AM »

Yeah I have a hard time sleeping at night knowing that swans get to go unshot.

Offline CNYIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3717 on: Jan 09, 2020, 11:08 AM »
Edwards99.  Just filled out the survey.  Although I am not a fanatic, I do like to get on Oneida a few times a year.  Thanks for your info and good luck with your study.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3718 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:26 PM »
Yeah I have a hard time sleeping at night knowing that swans get to go unshot.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7076.html

they are a invasive species that  attack and have killed native water fowl  I think you will see more and more  removal by government .....they wouldn't be that bad a problem if they weren't so mean

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3719 on: Jan 09, 2020, 05:11 PM »
wring them out and fill a can of crisco
I don’t think you will these 😉

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.