The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flasher vs Camera  (Read 1843 times)

Offline A.Rizzi

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher vs Camera
« on: Jan 10, 2023, 09:14 AM »
I am relatively new to ice fishing and have never used a flasher or underwater camera. I am considering purchasing one or the other.  I would like some input on which one people think is the better option and why. I would also appreciate any recommendations on brands that don't cost a fortune.  Thanks for the help.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flasher vs Camera
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2023, 09:33 AM »
A camera is very slow and hard to deploy. Awesome for looking at structure and what kind of fish are in the area. Most only have so long of cord (50') or less. A flasher will show fish, once you learn how to use it (YouTube!) structure, depth. Most will go to 300'. You will never go wrong with a flash/ graph first.

A ton of information on the page too: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline slamber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2023, 10:13 AM »
A camera is very slow and hard to deploy. Awesome for looking at structure and what kind of fish are in the area. Most only have so long of cord (50') or less. A flasher will show fish, once you learn how to use it (YouTube!) structure, depth. Most will go to 300'. You will never go wrong with a flash/ graph first.

A ton of information on the page too: https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

What he said. Flasher/graph is a key piece of equipment to put fish on the ice; honestly I wouldn't go fishing without one. Cameras are fun and can be pretty useful for looking at structure or fish behavior but not something I feel like I have to have with me. I do have one but only take it out occasionally. I'm partial to graph units since I use the same units I have on my boat but most of the guys I ice fish with use flashers and like them. I use humminbird graphs; the flashers my buddies use are a mix of humminbirds, Vexilars and Marcums. They all work good, whatever you can find on sale.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2023, 10:34 AM »
My suggestion is if you own a boat and like your fish finder go with the graph since you know how to look at those screens and most have the flasher function if you go with a ice bundle. I can see how a fish reacts better as I watch the graph and see if they follow up more or down. I had a camera and fried one and the other one got water in the camera and did not work after a year and never used it that much, fun on little lakes with the perch like bass lake or maybe Healy when the small perch are not taking the bait and keeps the kids entertained. 402 outdoors has a cheaper camera he uses but most guys are going to panoptics and say it is better Watchung the fish on those screens than a camera.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2023, 10:54 AM »
Flasher will keep you more mobile and easier to set up to start fishing.camera would be alright if you plan on staying in one spot in a hub.i would get a flasher first.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:36 AM »
Flasher/Finder is way more useful than the camera. Cameras are ok but like others said take bunch of time to deploy and can be tricky to get to stop n look at what you want. Camera is one of the last pieces of gear you need. A good finder/flasher will do more to get you catching fish. You can get by with the cheaper ones or if you can buy a Panoptix they are a real game changer step up from the ol graph flashers, but they are spendy.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2023, 12:08 PM »
I am relatively new to ice fishing and have never used a flasher or underwater camera. I am considering purchasing one or the other.  I would like some input on which one people think is the better option and why. I would also appreciate any recommendations on brands that don't cost a fortune.  Thanks for the help.

A Flasher is an investment ...and should be your first investment .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2023, 12:27 PM »
I think it depends on your fishing style.  If you are a tip up guy and set up in a general area without moving a lot, then a small hand held camera would probably be more useful.  You can pick your spot based on contour maps/Navionics (highly recommend for a nubie), and use the camera to zero in on weedlines, rockpiles, sandbars, etc.

If you like to jig and move around looking for active fish, a flasher/graph will probably be more useful.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2023, 12:27 PM »
easy answer buy a flasher' and if you fish deeper than about 15 ft deep get one with a zoom feature.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline LingEater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:48 PM »
Flasher/graphing fish finder for sure. All the brands have portable ice fishing bundles with batteries and everything you need. I recommend upgrading to a LiPo battery if you get one with a lead acid battery. I got a 12
Amp battery on Amazon for aroun $40. I use the old one as backup and nowI don’t worry about running out of juice. Cameras can be great, but only if the water is clear.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2023, 08:09 PM »
For sure a fish finder/chart plotter.  Lots of cheap, totally functional sonar units out there. Lots of people seem to rave about the Garmin striker 4, but lowrance and humminbird make similar units.  They all have a flasher mode option or traditional sonar screen if that is how you want to use it. But old school flashers only have one option. I loved my flasher, but sona/cart plotters are just better.

As suggested YouTube tutorials are super helpful to dial them in to whatever you’re fishing for!

Offline Wyowalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2023, 09:12 PM »
I have used the same Vexilar flasher for about 25 years. It’s simple, easy to use and dependable.  There are other brands that are as good or maybe better, but Vexilar is what I know.  It’s really helpful to see your bait and where it is in the water column.  It also shows fish from the lake bottom up to the ice.  I have often seen fish way up near the ice and have reeled up and caught them.  Flasher units are relatively cheap and are a good way to get started. 

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2023, 11:18 PM »
Flasher/graph... one with GPS is awful handy too.  :tipup:
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline glmill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2023, 06:56 AM »
Cameras are dependant on water clarity. I have a Marcum VS 825 - when conditions are favorable it is amazing to watch. But have been disapointed many times. I don't think I have ever been able to use it @ more than 30Ft. And you about have to be inside a shack to watch.

Offline rgwaldron

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walleye fisherman
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2023, 02:53 PM »
Flasher first. The camera is the icing on the cake but I would never use it by itself.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2023, 03:01 PM »
I use Lawrence on my boat so I bought their ice graph kit.  What's nice is it has GPS and I copied all my way points from the boats graphs and downloaded them into the ice unit.  It's also nice to see lake contours with the GPS.
Don

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2023, 06:42 PM »
Own both use both. Next question is budget? The new and very cool is Livescope/ Garminlive /Mega live. Very cool new way to look at fish plus a crap load of tech that can help find fish. After that I say Flasher. So here is the dilemma Vexilar or Marcum or Lowrance hummingbird Garmin. Vexilars are hard to destroy but only give you lines green yellow red and pink lines Vexilars 30s. After that Marcums has a screen graph. The newer rought that a lot of us are using is our boat graphs. All have new software in them making them useable for icefishing. Just got to buy a new ice puck and away you go. I mostly fish with Lowrance due to it was cheap and got a deal, I like to split my screen in two. One side has the round Vexilar look and the other is 2d look just like a fishfinder. The biggest Point on the boat  units is GPS location. Man that help out a lot. You find a tree or structure you can put a way point on it and easy find it again. So GPS is a huge advantage. That takes out Vexilars no GPS I beat pretty soon they will come out with one. As for my camera it helps me look at anything I find. Look at structure and its always a hit/fun with the kids but it so long to deploy and set right take a bit. So if I'm sitting in a shack all day sure why not but it if I'm hopping around it sucks. So if you can afford a Livescope its worth it weight in gold. If not get a flasher that has GPS and make sure you get a new one do to the new GPS location modular. Older one give a 5 meter new ones give less then 1 meter. Have fun good luck enjoy fishing.
No one left behind.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.