New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George - Ice Fishing ?  (Read 17519 times)

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
Lake George - Ice Fishing ?
« on: Dec 26, 2008, 03:18 PM »
Hi,

I typically do all of my fishing in Vermont, but would love to spend a day on Lake George ice fishing for lakers  ;D  :icefish:

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction, as I have no idea where to go  :wacko:

I know people aren't going to give up their favorite spots, but a place to park & head 300 yrds SW or something to that effect would be greatly appreciated.  ;)

Another thing I would be interested in... Is getting recommendations on a guide service. Somebody reasonably priced, knows what their doing, that you know/or have had good luck with...

Anyways, Thanks
~ Hunt-n-Fish-VT

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Lake George - Ice Fishing ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:12 PM »
where is Mt Holly ? George is  a big lake where would you be planning to drive to ?
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline bigbear138

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYSDEC needs a big change.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:18 PM »
One goos spot when there is ice is The Million Dollar beach there everything in that area too fish for especiually some good laker fishing.  You can park  free during the winter time  right at the boat lunch.  The Million Dpllar Beach is at the most southern part of the lake.  I drove by today and a slim coat of ice foarming in shore.  Drove up by Assembly point and there  where fisherman fishing Harris bay.  Talked too them and repotes of 5"-7" of god black ice in the bay.  I hope too make it up Sun morning and try for some lakers. Bigbear138
Stop complaining do something about it.

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2008, 04:32 PM »
where is Mt Holly ? George is  a big lake where would you be planning to drive to ?

I just updated my profile... I live in West Rutland, VT. 

I would be traveling over rt 4 into Whitehall & from their it would depend on where I should head to go fishing  ;D

I realize the lake is huge... which is why I asked for a little help/direction

Thanks ~ Hunt-n-Fish-VT

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline Joe Snag

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just Waiting for Deer season to open
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Bigbear--Any fish coming out of Harris Bay??
[

Offline fishingrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2008, 05:49 PM »
There are a few good spots I know along the west side of the lake, PM me and maybe we can get together in LG .
If your going to go out with the boys,You better get up with the men.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:19 PM »
get on harris as soon as it is safe because it will be insane once word gets out. i mean no parking or room for holes if you are a late riser after 8 am. gonna try it wed if weather holds up. giants hat and green flack jacket. good luck and be safe
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:58 PM »
My gear is all packed and ready to go. I'll be driving to harris bay 1st. I'll pry be flying solo with a black "icecube" portable. I'll pry be wearing spikes and a life jacket 2. Lol. I don't care how foolish it looks.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bigbear138

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYSDEC needs a big change.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 27, 2008, 02:08 PM »
Fished Harris Bay this am for a few hours, no fish but lost 2 on the jigging rod ( i think they where lakers ). Rain started coming down pretty good so whe pulled out.  Had about anywhere from 5''-7'' of good solid ice right too the break.  Lots of water on top though.  Also quite a few fishermen.  Bigbear138
Stop complaining do something about it.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2008, 08:07 PM »
I wish I had trusted you guys.. I never tried Harris. I didn't think it'd be safe. Wish I had. Drove to Dresden station. Caught one sunny and one little pike. Thank god for portables. Miserable day. Beat the heck out of the couch though.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2008, 08:38 PM »
Ok can anyone else confirm this 5-7" of ice on Harris today? Would like to give it shot tomorrow but don't want to die. 

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2008, 08:02 AM »
i can confirm 3-5 of solid black ice. the begining is all old ice and gray about 6 inches. after you make the transition from gray to black its about 5 inches for 50 yards then its begins to get thinner, but you can still walk out till you get to the ice heaves. just look for holes, im sure you will see the mess i made tryin to pin point the perch..just save me a spot, im sure it will be packed tommarow, lol friday there was one guy on the bay, today about 15, makes me wonder about tomm..good luck

LURKERS
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2008, 10:54 AM »
I wouldn't say there was 3-5" of black ice. I was out this morning, and once you make the transition from gray to black it went to about 2" of solid black ice. Didn't stop me, but I got my limit and peaced out before the 50+ degree weather and strong winds came in.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

NAD42

« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2008, 03:52 PM »
Thanks for the updates guys...stay on top!!

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2008, 04:26 PM »
lot of crazy guys out there with you? got week off. will be out later this week if it gets cold and relocks. will post.

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2008, 04:31 PM »
yeah i went out there again today, got there a around 10. with the warmer weather and rain yesterday it ate some of the ice. i believe i heared you say " looks like perch for dinner tonight" as you were walking off. lol so i figured i better hit your holes. just as i was finishing up, and only had a few more to go the ice began to crack and warm weather blew in. needles to say i think harris is going to be unpredictable till it getts colder. there are spots 50 yards off shore that are already down to 2 inches..
Haha yeah, well that was my brother, I was the one slipping around in the red suit because I forgot my cleats. The only reason perch are for dinner for him is because I caught my limit, and then gave him his and I don't eat fish haha. Gotta love the Vex! I fished 3 holes out there today and iced about 75-80.

Offline mdougla1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2008, 10:25 PM »
Fish on VT
I live in Whitehall NY and can assure you that you can catch a fine amount of lakers much closer to home than you can from than the LG village area
I'm not saying they're biting on Brant.  But they probably are

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 29, 2008, 01:44 AM »
you can fish the pilot knob/fort ann beach area for lakers and salmon(when it freezes). just drive to the end of pilot knob road, park at the beach and walk out and to the south a little.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Oilcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:48 AM »
There's no Lakers in Lk George any more!    ;)

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2008, 01:10 PM »
The 10 day is looking good, hopefully it holds true.

onight
Dec 29

Scattered Snow Showers / Wind
Scattered Snow Showers / Wind

36°
31°

50%

36°F

Tue
Dec 30

AM Snow Showers / Wind
AM Snow Showers / Wind

32°
25°

30%

32°F

Wed
Dec 31

Snow
Snow

27°

70%

27°F

Thu
Jan 1

Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy

19°
12°

10%

19°F

Fri
Jan 2

Snow Shower
Snow Shower

29°
25°

60%

29°F

Sat
Jan 3

Snow Shower / Wind
Snow Shower / Wind

34°
14°

40%

34°F

Sun
Jan 4

Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy

25°
16°

10%

25°F

Mon
Jan 5

Partly Cloudy
Partly Cloudy

25°
16°

10%

25°F

Tue
Jan 6

Sunny
Sunny

25°
19°

10%

25°F

Wed
Jan 7

Mostly Cloudy
Mostly Cloudy

26°
19°

10%

26°F

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2008, 01:39 PM »
thanks for rhe forecast. looks good. you guys who were on harris think it kept enough ice for me to stay on top on wed ? if its sketchy i will try again on thursday very early. again friday. giants hat. green flack jaket punishing perch. will have two man fish trap with me unless snow is deep then orange dome tent. just gotta escape family then liberated for rest of week. stop by to say hey.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 29, 2008, 03:58 PM »
Its tough for me to say how the ice will be. Sunday at about 2 pm the ice was getting spongy and beginning to crack. that's why i left. on Saturday there was at least 4 - 5 inches of black ice, then it rained and became warm. on Sunday the same holes that had 4-5 were already down to 2-3 and that ice also got rained on with 50 degree weather. i also noticed that in a lot of spots on the ice there were like worm holes where something had melted threw. looked like some one threw rock salt all over. the gray ice between the islands was also softening up and down to 2 inches in spots.  there was a lot of water on that ice. Its a tough call just be cautious and check the thickness as you go. I'm hoping for a trip Friday. 

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:46 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that with the 45mph gusts were going to get tomorrow, that the ice will get ripped out.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:55 PM »
yeah there is nothing holding it into the bay really. i bet the waves will make a mess.

Offline aj454

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:19 AM »
Wondering if anyone will be at harris bay on fri. 1/2/09. Feel safer with other people out there. Thanks

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2008, 06:21 AM »
Its tough for me to say how the ice will be. Sunday at about 2 pm the ice was getting spongy and beginning to crack. that's why i left. on Saturday there was at least 4 - 5 inches of black ice, then it rained and became warm. on Sunday the same holes that had 4-5 were already down to 2-3 and that ice also got rained on with 50 degree weather. i also noticed that in a lot of spots on the ice there were like worm holes where something had melted threw. looked like some one threw rock salt all over. the gray ice between the islands was also softening up and down to 2 inches in spots.  there was a lot of water on that ice. Its a tough call just be cautious and check the thickness as you go. I'm hoping for a trip Friday. 

Watch that honeycomb effect bird21s  (not good).....

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:37 AM »
lot of ice on Harris bay yesterday afternoon, but it didn't look very thick. cold weather forecasted for the next several night (20,2,1,4, next 4 nights according to Accuweather) so it looks good. be careful out there though, not sure if I'll be able to get out.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline fishn freak13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:28 AM »
I just updated my profile... I live in West Rutland, VT. 

I would be traveling over rt 4 into Whitehall & from their it would depend on where I should head to go fishing  ;D

I realize the lake is huge... which is why I asked for a little help/direction

Thanks ~ Hunt-n-Fish-VT

im from poultney vermont so were not to far apart i usually go through whithall and over the mountain to huellets landing.  u can park at the state access there or there are a few pull-offs along the road.  it usually takes a little longer to freeze then the rest of the lake.  the north end doesnt seem to produce as many lakers as in the south end but the fish seem to be a bit larger on average.  last winter i landed 5 fish over the 15lb mark there last winter and one that was 46 inches.  all on a jig stick but u are going to catch fish anywhere u can find structure usually between 50 and 80 feet

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2008, 11:48 AM »

last winter i landed 5 fish over the 15lb mark there last winter and one that was 46 inches. 

Wow,  Those are some serious lakers for the KING especially a 46"er :tipup:  How long were those 15lbers?

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2008, 02:01 PM »
Wondering if anyone will be at harris bay on fri. 1/2/09. Feel safer with other people out there. Thanks
I will be there on the 31, 1, and yes on friday! wearing blue Giants hat, green flack jacket. it should be fine by then with these very cold nights but i will post tomorrow if it is broken up. I will be out there friday by 630 am. i am a little paranoid of the impending onslaught of people. it is justa matter of time before the "prime real estate" and eager perch diminish so earlier is alway better ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.