Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Fishdinner02

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher suggestions
« on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:28 AM »
Hey guys looking to buy a new flasher any brands or models you suggest over another. I do mostly pan and walleye fishing under 40 feet. I don't mind spending the money on a good quality unit but I don't want to go overkill with bells and whistles I don't really need.

Offline OHeyes

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:46 AM »

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Vexilar fl18 will get it done and built to last.no bells or whistles..just a fish,depth locating workhorse.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:19 AM »
I can't recall seeing a round sounder on a boat in the last 50 years. I say get a portable version of an open water unit. Vexilars don't have mapping or GPS capabilities.  Modern graphs can put out a round display if that's what you want or need.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:25 AM »
I can't recall seeing a round sounder on a boat in the last 50 years. I say get a portable version of an open water unit. Vexilars don't have mapping or GPS capabilities.  Modern graphs can put out a round display if that's what you want or need.
well considering this is a icefishing forum,op mentioned flasher and no need for bells and whistles,no mention of fishing from boat..my recommendation stands.lol

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:42 AM »
Vexilar fl18 will get it done and built to last.no bells or whistles..just a fish,depth locating workhorse.

X2

Vexilar FL18 is the work horse of the Vexilar line up ..it tried,true battle tested unit ...EZPZ to use ..get the 12 deg transducer and you will be able to fish the range of depths you mentioned and then some. will last for decades ..best investment you can make ..I have had mine since 2003 . Has Low Power Mode: shallow weedy areas ...6ft Bottom Zoom: great for bottom hugging fish i.e. perch and walleye

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:43 AM »
Better get out the popcorn, this is going to be a looooong one.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:47 AM »
X3 on fl-18 gets the job done and bullet proof. Had mine for a long time no issues.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2020, 07:56 AM »
But Vexilars are sooooooo LOUD!!!!  ;)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:06 AM »

Not once you get old and deaf. Just remove the hearing aids.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:09 AM »

Has anyone tried a new one? It sounds like they updated all the models to brushless, curious if it made a big difference or not on the FL8s or FL18s.

From their catalog:

Effective in 2020, All Vexilar Flashers are being produced using Vexilar’s proprietary brushless data transfer technology to deliver a
sunlight-readable display and less noise.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:23 AM »
I like my Helix 9. Little big and heavy but the flasher and graph on the same screen is awesome. Also having access to a depth chart and GPS makes an open water unit superior to a flasher. Although I still have my ICE55 and admit sometimes simple is good.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Online missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:52 AM »
Effective in 2020, All Vexilar Flashers are being produced using Vexilar’s proprietary brushless data transfer technology to deliver a
sunlight-readable display and less noise.

interesting!!!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:02 AM »
Not once you get old and deaf. Just remove the hearing aids.

It covers up the tinnitus!  ;D
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2020, 09:11 AM »
Fishdinner - you mentioned that you fish panfish and walleye, and under 40 ft.  Walleye are typically on the bottom, and panfish can be anywhere in the water column.  You said flasher, so I would suggest either the Vexilar FL18 or the Marcum M3.  The Vex has the bottom lock and the Marcum has the adjustable zoom.  You really can't go wrong with either of these. 

If you want to buy a used unit - check out the FB Marketplace, there are a tons for sale, but they can come with issues.  Checkout the vendor sites for reconditioned units - nothing wrong with these - they have been checked over by their service techs.  Otherwise, hit up a store and put your hands on them and see what unit you like best.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2020, 01:36 PM »
Vex FLX 20, mine is quiet as a church mouse. I regularly fish beyond the depths mentioned, nice unit.
Dual zoom at 6 and 12 feet, I like the DD option. 
FLX pro pack last year brand new $470 on sale. I see a fl 18 at $399 online.   

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Vex FLX 20, mine is quiet as a church mouse. I regularly fish beyond the depths mentioned, nice unit.
Dual zoom at 6 and 12 feet, I like the DD option. 
FLX pro pack last year brand new $470 on sale. I see a fl 18 at $399 online.   
2nd the flx 20 ,got one last year and love it

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2020, 04:19 PM »
Wow! people suggest a Vexilar. Who would have thunk it. Not gonna talk bad about the Vexilars, lots of guys use them and have for years. I personally went a different direction and got the Garmin Panotix Ps22. Its not the fancy livescope one but it does all I ever want. I wanted the Bells and Whistles and it has them. GPS, Lake Contour Maps and well the Panoptix is one of the best sonars out there. Fish in 20' of water with most sonars and you are seeing a tiny little area like a 6' diameter circle on the bottom. True the Vexilars do a good job of seperating the fish from the bottom but only in a tiny window. the area that I can see with my Panoptix is huge in comparison and seeing the fish over 10' away to the side come in for your bait gives you more time to work the fish. Then you want to talk about finding fish, nothing compares. Put the ducer to the side and scan out 100', depending on depth, rotate around and find the fish walk to where you are pointed and drill on top of fish. Is it more than most need, yes. Is it heavy, Yes. Is it expensive, Yes. Is it better, well that is a matter of opinion, in many ways yes it is better. Each to their own.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2020, 04:22 PM »
VEXILAR FLX-20

Offline Ramp 23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2020, 04:33 PM »
Vexilar FL 20 or FLX 20

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2020, 04:38 PM »
HUH 😉

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2020, 04:51 PM »
If you are going to spend near $500 then you should think about the LX7, or MX7 form Marcum, they blow away any Vex. I had a FL8 and fl20, and sold both once I went digital, no comparison. Duel beam, Verticle, graphing, and traditional round, and zoom, watch all 3 at once if you want. Much better fish/lure seperation, little or no interference. The cheaper FL8 and FL12 are horrible in shallow water, even with the cord that you need to buy. Vex is a solid entry level flasher for the beginners but you will want digital flasher before to long. The new MX7 has everything the LX7 gas plus GPS on top of all that! Marcum is also by far the best customer service!
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:30 PM »
Hey guys looking to buy a new flasher any brands or models you suggest over another. I do mostly pan and walleye fishing under 40 feet. I don't mind spending the money on a good quality unit but I don't want to go overkill with bells and whistles I don't really need.

If your looking for a flasher unit, I would stay away from vexilar simply because they do not have multi beam transducers unless you want to drop $750 on the fl30bb. For the money on the flasher side humming bird and marcum other you dual beam transducers on solid units for Far less then vexilar. The Hummingbird 35 is a good dual beam entry level that can be bought new for $250 at times.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Amazon has the Marcum M-1 for $299.00, and the M-3 for $349.00. You won’t be disappointed with either unit.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline bmaher287

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 19, 2020, 10:15 PM »
I've had my Humminbird Ice-55 for 3 years now and can't say enough good things about it. Just got a Helix 7 for my kayak that I will be converting to an ice unit as well.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:45 AM »
I have owned a Vexilar for over 25 years. Can't speak on any other brands 'cause I haven't used any. No need to. I have been happy with these. They indicate depth and locate fish. That's all I need. You can get a refurbished FL-8 for $269 (which I bought with no issues) or an FL-18 (this does have the bottom zoom) for $349. Both come with a 2 year warranty on the unit...1 year on the battery.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:25 AM »
Wow! people suggest a Vexilar. Who would have thunk it. Not gonna talk bad about the Vexilars, lots of guys use them and have for years. I personally went a different direction and got the Garmin Panotix Ps22. Its not the fancy livescope one but it does all I ever want. I wanted the Bells and Whistles and it has them. GPS, Lake Contour Maps and well the Panoptix is one of the best sonars out there. Fish in 20' of water with most sonars and you are seeing a tiny little area like a 6' diameter circle on the bottom. True the Vexilars do a good job of seperating the fish from the bottom but only in a tiny window. the area that I can see with my Panoptix is huge in comparison and seeing the fish over 10' away to the side come in for your bait gives you more time to work the fish. Then you want to talk about finding fish, nothing compares. Put the ducer to the side and scan out 100', depending on depth, rotate around and find the fish walk to where you are pointed and drill on top of fish. Is it more than most need, yes. Is it heavy, Yes. Is it expensive, Yes. Is it better, well that is a matter of opinion, in many ways yes it is better. Each to their own.

What did that cost? I can’t see spending $2k but I think that would include the livescope?   I don’t see much point in upgrading unless i get the advantages you mentioned and if it’s possible for under $1,000 i might do it
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2020, 05:33 AM »
I use a FL-18 and a Helix ice 5 gps g2. both are great. Several folks have mentioned refurbished units. Many times a all a refurbished unit is a brand new unit that for what ever reason gets returned to the store, and then the manufacturer. Nothing wrong with the unit to begin with. So if you go that route you should have no concerns.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:00 AM »
Vex = Quality, it works when you turn it on year after year. I had another brand and worked as well as the Vex FLX 20 for a year or two. It then
went to the shop every winter mid season an finally gave it away to a techy friend. I am not plunking down $2000 for the latest an greatest, heavy,
fish finder. I like to hole hope. Bird makes nice unit the one on my boat is still fine 10 years in. Search the reviews - one brand if you want your unit at the shop
half of every season don't say you we were not warned. My brothers new unit I warned him was returned first season. Junk

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2020, 09:22 AM »
What did that cost? I can’t see spending $2k but I think that would include the livescope?   I don’t see much point in upgrading unless i get the advantages you mentioned and if it’s possible for under $1,000 i might do it

I got an offseason deal and paid just about 1280$ Normally about 1800.
I know its a bunch of money but oh well I have it now and love it. I looked at the Livescope that came out after I already bought mine. Its cool but does not have a regular puck ducer to hole hop with. Even though mine is heavy it is not so bad that I can't hole hop with it, and do, and or if I don't have maps for lake and am checking depth. Now with the Panoptix on its pole its a bit more to hole hop with.
I looked hard and long at the Vexilars and used a buddies but am happy I went the route I did. Whatever you get use it and learn to use it to its fullest and it should reward you with more fish, Hopefully.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.