Author Topic: Last Sunday.  (Read 3585 times)

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: Last Sunday.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2017, 10:29 AM »
nice piles guys. and that lake has been giving up buckets year long since i was a kid.  still pumpin out gill after gill.  there are several very fertile lakes/reserviors like it too.  i have to wonder if they wouldnt even stunt if harvest was stopped or cut back.

not for a blanket limit change myself.  i think the dnr should try regs., on a lake or two, for tests though. i could think of a couple good ones close to angola. lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Cuz people would have to stop after 25 and not catch a cooler full of gills off beds
.        My dad told me years ago that was prohibited to fish beds and if caught got a ticket. He said they really watched it, now this was 60 years ago

Offline Bronzeback5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2017, 11:56 AM »
I was just thinking from a simple standpoint of overpopulation/quality. I'm sure there's allot more to it

Offline ticeman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2017, 06:11 PM »
I respect the lakes. I try not to over fish Any of them. I will leave fish to find more fish. Did it several times this year. I only ice fish though and I've seen way more fish caught in the spring on beds over and over again than what I take in a day or two. Just a observation.

Offline pondbear52

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keep yer stick on the ice
« Reply #34 on: Jan 19, 2017, 02:45 AM »
If you said you were keeping 7 to 8 inch gills in most Minnesota lakes you would get laughed at. 

nooooo. have you ever met an minnesotan/canadian? they are far to introverted and polite to laugh at you...at least to your face.  :roflmao:
if the women dont find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy

Offline tkfurs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:52 AM »
 I can give a small example of how limits improved one specific lake here in Ohio.

We have a small lake on state land that has been around for many years and the gill fishing was always just so-so. if you were really lucky you could catch a mess of gills, but anything over 8" was a real trophy, and if you got a 9" crappie then you hit the jackpot. Being northwest Ohio, and very few lakes to fish, this little lake got a ton of pressure in the summer.

About 10 or so years ago the DNR put a 10 fish limit for gills and crappie and ticked a lot of people off. In the past 4 or 5 years though, I have been able to ice fish and open water fish and usually can pick up a limit of gills in and hour or so on good days, sometimes I still have to sort through small gills. BUT now those ones I'm throwing back are bigger than the largest we used to catch. This year I have fished this lake at least 10 times on the ice, and I have only got my limit 3 times, but the gills are running 8'-9 1/4" consistantly and the very few crappie I have caught have been over 13". So this fishery has been greatly improved with limits in place.

Now, this lake is a smaller lake so I am not saying limits would have as much impact on some of the larger lakes, but I do think over time it would have to have some kind of impact.

I fish a lot of different lakes in Michigan and a few in Indiana and can typically find fish on any lake I go on, but I will sat that, on average, I do less size sorting in Michigan than I do in Indiana.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.