Author Topic: Berkley Iron Silk  (Read 2355 times)

hali-man

Berkley Iron Silk
« on: Jan 09, 2005, 04:37 AM »
I received a sample spool of this line (14#) and am thinking of trying it on my tip-up.
Has anyone ever used this stuff for ice fishing?

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
Re: Berkley Iron Silk
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:39 PM »
is it braid or nylon
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:58 PM »
It's a nylon copolymer, so basically monofilament. I have heard from reports it still has a lot of memory even though it's supposed to be way less abrasion resistant than traditional tough lines. If your thinking of using it for leader, it might be worth a try in the lighter, less visible color. If your thinking of using it as a main tip up line, I would say forget it. Stick with vinyl coated Tip Up Line from HT or dacron of some sort. Mono or mono related lines are just far too hard to handle on a tip up. Braided lines can cut the heck out of you when you hook a hard running trout or pike.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2005, 10:21 PM »
Thanks, MDaddy, you're probably right.
I just don't know what the hell to use this stuff for.  ???

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2005, 10:51 PM »
What color is it? If it's the lower vis, it might be worth a try as pike leader, though you can still get bit off some with anything but wire. Still, thicker tougher mono or fluorocarbon is way better than regular thin mono for keeping pike on.

Tyler

hali-man

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:08 PM »
Dark green, thick, and ugly.
I can't believe BASS is giving this away
(or maybe that's why).  :P

RavenFyreWolf

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2005, 06:13 AM »
I received a sample spool of this line (14#) and am thinking of trying it on my tip-up.
Has anyone ever used this stuff for ice fishing?

That crap is junk! The Iron Silk has way too much memory. We tried it on a couple of our jig poles and the stuff just kept freezing up and would wrap up in spools in knots! I would stay away from that over priced crap! Just my experience with the junk.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2005, 07:54 PM »
I have found that any line marketed as "abrasion resistant", even if it says it has less memory than traditonal abrasion resistant lines, still has way too much memory for most fishing applications. My line of choice for most applications is original stren, trilene premium strength, stren easy cast, or p - line fluoroclear. Original stren probably has the best combination of strength and manageability of any line I have tried.
Ironsilk might be good as tip up leader though for pike. For other applications I would forget it. They should call it berkley iron wire.

Tyler

Offline fishing4life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2005, 12:30 PM »
I disagree with alot of what has been said.  I love iron silk i us it year round.  The stuff is unbreakable, you could pull a dumptruck out of the mud with it.  It does have some memory but hardly as much as your saying.  It's abrasion resistance is unmatchable.  As for visability I havn't had any problem with the fish shying away from it.  The only thing negative I have about it is the price.  It is a bit pricey.  Give it an honest try, you might like it. 

Cheers!!!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

hali-man

« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2005, 01:44 PM »
I disagree with alot of what has been said.  I love iron silk i us it year round. 

What color and size do you use through the ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.