The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First time out this year...  (Read 2468 times)

ratkilr

First time out this year...
« on: Dec 24, 2004, 03:25 AM »
 Got skunked today but did not get out early enough. Tried local lake with smelt. Only had tip-ups in for an hour or so. Sunday going to sandstone. That should have 4" or more of ice.
 Local lake only had 1-4" of ice. Kind of scary. But cant wait. Love them pike.
  Gonna hit eastern lakes hard in mid february. Have to leave december 31 for work. Wont get to fish again untill mid feb.
 Anyone else fishing yet in MT?
 RATKILR

ratkilr

Re: First time out this year...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2004, 03:39 AM »
 Forgot to ask... are any western lakes in montana with pike fishable yet? Salmon or Seeley lake? Thanks, Robert.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2004, 03:49 PM »
Got skunked today but did not get out early enough. Tried local lake with smelt. Only had tip-ups in for an hour or so. Sunday going to sandstone. That should have 4" or more of ice.
 Local lake only had 1-4" of ice. Kind of scary. But cant wait. Love them pike.
  Gonna hit eastern lakes hard in mid february. Have to leave december 31 for work. Wont get to fish again untill mid feb.
 Anyone else fishing yet in MT?
 RATKILR
let us know how you do at Sandstone on Sunday,  I will be hitting it next week and will be curious of your results.  What is your "local lake?"  Good luck.

ratkilr

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2004, 09:04 PM »
Local lake is Spotted Eagle. Outside Miles City. Not much of a lake. Lot of 2-4 pound pike and some small walleye and sauger. Small mouth bass too. Biggest pike I have heard of being caught was 17 pounds. Fishing is usually slow. Some small perch.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2004, 10:43 PM »
I kind of figured it was Spotted Eagle, I am also from Miles City. Good luck.

ratkilr

« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2004, 08:09 AM »
 South Sandstone is fishable. 5 to 6 inches of ice. Taking my shack and motorcycle out there tommorow. Got out late but fish were still biting.

ratkilr

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2004, 03:54 AM »
 Went to sandstone today. Tuesday. Speared one nice one. 5 pounds maybe. Caught another 5 pike on tip ups. Using smelt.  Fished north of the boat launch. The little bay before you go out into the lake.
 Saw a few pike while spearing. Missed one that was maybe 8-10 pounds. There are some big ones in there.
 Water is a little cloudy there. You can only see down 5-6 feet there. Might be clearer in other places.
 I may go out again tommorow. Not sure yet. If you see someone pulling a shack with a motorcycle that would be me.
 Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.