Author Topic: Central Illinois ice conditions...  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
Central Illinois ice conditions...
« on: Jan 16, 2007, 10:16 PM »
I fish farm ponds in central Il., (farmington, elmwood, yates city, and surrounding areas). I'm thinking of trying to hit the hardwater no later than this weekend. If someone lives in the area and has been out to check the ice any info would be greatly appreciated. If I get out sooner to check the ice, I'll post the conditions here myself.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
Re: Central Illinois ice conditions...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:25 AM »
I'm north of ya about 50 mi went and checked a couple small ponds on tues 1 1/4" on one and the other looked like 3/4"  will check this morn. wed.

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2007, 11:41 AM »
I live out by sherrard and be have about 2"

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2007, 11:49 AM »
I drove down to Sunset Marina in Rock Island this morning and there was about 2" at the docks.  I am guessing that it was better at my spot but the road was blocked for some reason and I couldn't check

Cristoforo (eyem@n)

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Went to mautinos this moring 2 1/2" No fish cooperating thou

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2007, 01:43 PM »
Prayforice,

Are  you at Fyre Lake?  If you are is the 2" on the main lake?  If it is then I need to check some of my other larger lakes because that lake usually takes a while to go.

Cristoforo

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:02 AM »
Yes, i was talking about the two smaller lakes, (Karl and Renee), I checked them yesterday. I walked on the ice it was fine. I haven't augered thought. I just guessed about 2". Have you ever fished Fyre Lake???

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2007, 11:15 AM »
cristoforo i was wondering where you go for first ice in the area. The smaller lakes might be safe for this weekend, the weather will still be below freezing.

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Pray for Ice,

I usually go to the Hennipen Canal near Geneseo 1st.  It is shallow and  freezes up nicely.  Next I usually check the river backwaters,  Rock Island Sunset Marina, and another couple of spots that are a bit of a drive.  If it stays cold long enough I check out at Fyre lake because i have a buddy who owns some property on the smaller lake up on top of the hill.  I usually do fairly well up there.  Have trouble fishing the large lake sometimes because of that whole permission thing.  Some guys really don't apprecaite me being there.  Maybe because I am only 24 and some folks just think young guys are out to start trouble or something.

Cris

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:51 PM »
Cris
How do you get to the ike area located at Geneseo along the canal? That tourney suppose to be there next Sat. Might fish it.
Thanks
Chad

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2007, 09:57 PM »
cris,
well when we get safe ice you should come out and i will meet you on the ice. We won't get bothered since i live in fyre lake. I know what you are saying about people complaining it's becasue there are too many old peopel. Last year I lost a handfull of large muskies. Keep me posted on when and wher you find safe ice. As always don't forget to pray for safe ice! :)

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:48 AM »
The Isaack Walton club fishing area is just out side of Geneseo off of route 82.  Check out the link I put up here.  Where it says Geneseo Praire Park.  It is right off of that road.  The tourney should be fun.  It's next saturday though if you didn't hear the date change.  Starts at 7am and goes till noon or so.  I will be there for sure. 

http://www.google.com/maps?q=Geneseo,+IL+61254&sa=X&oi=map&ct=title

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:52 AM »
Pray for Ice,

I went out to that small lake up top  of fyre this morning and there was 2.5 to 3" in some spots I landed a nice 3# bass.  I will keep praying for your ice.  My buddys  and I are heading north today to get on some Ice in the northwoods of WI.  Hopeing to get into some walleyes and pike.  We are going for the weekend. I will report How I do.  Hope to fish with you sometime that would be fun!  I will talk with you later.

Cris

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:00 PM »
I'll look you up over there cris I'll be in a blue clam 5600 and a black Mad Bomber
Chad

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.