Author Topic: Fish Swallowing Hooks?  (Read 12909 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Re: Fish Swallowing Hooks?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 16, 2012, 12:02 PM »
The Octopus hooks will pull straight like they're supposed to do if you fasten it to your line with a snell not which requires a leader. The Kahle is the right hook for tying directly.

Thanks.  That would make sense.
Chris Raymond

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:29 PM »
Okay, based on the success of others, I've decided to give circles another a try.  That, and I'm heading up tp MN later this week and don't want to put blades on all my lines ;)

With a treble, I always hook the bait behind the dorsal.  Do you guys do the same with circles, or do you lip hook?  I remember the shape of the circles being difficult to get under the skin of the back.  I'd be using suckers and golden shiners.
Prayin' for cold

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #32 on: Jan 17, 2012, 02:06 PM »
Okay, based on the success of others, I've decided to give circles another a try.  That, and I'm heading up tp MN later this week and don't want to put blades on all my lines ;)

With a treble, I always hook the bait behind the dorsal.  Do you guys do the same with circles, or do you lip hook?  I remember the shape of the circles being difficult to get under the skin of the back.  I'd be using suckers and golden shiners.

For large live baits I like to hook it in the "neck", about half way between the back of the gill and the beginning of the dorsal. Smaller live baits get hooked behind the dorsal.

Just remember steadt pressure to set the hook and no jerking.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 17, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Prayin' for cold

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Jan 17, 2012, 03:20 PM »
1/0 Gamakatzu Octopus hook! NUF SAID!!!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline mojofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:25 PM »
As long as you did not attempt to yank it out first he will probably survive long enough to get tattoos to go along with his piercings.   
It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:34 PM »
As long as you did not attempt to yank it out first he will probably survive long enough to get tattoos to go along with his piercings.
tis is true, I seen worse like on tv I seen a russian guy eat glass :o why he was chewing up and swallowing a crystal wine glass so maybe these fish are after hooks and not so much bait ??? I'm going to find out if ever it freezes over and I get a chance.. not using any bait, just be fat circle hooks  ;D

Offline mojofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I put 2/0 daiichi circle hooks on half of my tipups last year and I am definitely a fan. Landing rate is the same as my tipups rigged with trebles, but every pike and bass I catch on the circle is hooked perfectly in the corner of the mouth.  But you definitely can't forget and try to set the hook, miss the fish every time!

I tried swallowing one baited with a mini hotdog. I had wife pull/set the hook came out of my stomach just like you said it would. I really hurt my lip.
It's Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission

Offline GCD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Arctic Armor, it's not just for ice fishing!!!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 18, 2012, 12:32 PM »
I tried swallowing one baited with a mini hotdog. I had wife pull/set the hook came out of my stomach just like you said it would. I really hurt my lip.

I Hate it when that happens!!! :%$#!:
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give him a religion and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish... author unknown

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I recently tried for the first time the painted glo wide gap hooks made by VMC  .. bought size 8 for small fatheads.. anybody like these hooks? So far, I hooked perch and small crappie and they seem okay so far. Not yet sure what makes them a walleye hook though.

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:41 AM »
Well, unfortunately I have only one data point to share.  I tried circle hooks on several tipups, and also tried the rubberband trick.  We only had one flag on a circle hook, and it took it to the rubberband and was gone when we got to the flag.  0/1.  The tipups with trebles had beads and blades, maybe that's why they got more bites?  Anyways, figured I'd follow up.
Prayin' for cold

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:54 AM »
Never used trebles on tipups. In NH you cant use a treble with bait which I think is a fair rule even though nobody likes more rules! I have single hooks on the back of some of my lures and no problem losing fish and easier to remove. I hate lures w three trebles, no fun having a fish on one treble flopping.g around and another treble embedded in your hand!! 

I believe that whenever you've deep hooked or hooked in a way such that you. Ant easily get the hook out without severe trauma (further trauma) to thefish then the sportsman-likething to do is cut the line and give the fish a chance. Probably not 100% survival rate but they have a better chance than if you keep him out of water for an hour and tear his throut apart to get your hook back.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.