Author Topic: Snowmobile Gloves vs Ice Fishing Gloves  (Read 6265 times)

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Snowmobile Gloves vs Ice Fishing Gloves
« on: Nov 27, 2019, 12:13 PM »
Does anybody use snowmobile gloves for ice fishing? I'm looking for a heavy pair for pulling the shanty, chasing tip ups, jigging while hole hopping. I'm using an old pair of leather Nordica ski gloves now that are about out of life. There seem to be tons of choices for well insulated, waterproof, leather snowmobile gloves are reasonable prices. 
I looked at the Striker Ice Combat gloves, they seem overpriced for what they are.
I'm considering these: https://www.upnorthsports.com/snowmobile/snowmobile-clothing/snowmobile-gloves/mens-gloves/castle-x-trs-g2-gloves.html

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snowmobile Gloves vs Ice Fishing Gloves
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2019, 12:20 PM »
yes the new stuff is all crap just reach in with a finger and feel how cheap this new stuff is I will stick with the leather mittens from way back in time.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2019, 02:28 PM »
I went on Ebay and got some military surplus glove/mitts. Korean War era. Not much use for fishing, but really warm getting to your spot.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2019, 03:05 PM »
I like to use full fingered wool gloves for non-tactile tasks.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2019, 03:39 PM »
Doesn't matter what you wear, as you will eventually HAVE to take them off to unhook your fish.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2019, 04:12 PM »
Doesn't matter what you wear, as you will eventually HAVE to take them off to unhook your fish.

Fingerless wool solves that problem. I never take them off to unhook a fish. That’s why I wear fingerless. Full fingered wool works great for everything else. You could even wear one of each for hole hopping. I like wool because it doesn’t freeze into a mallet after handling fish and when it does it get wet, my hands stay warm.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2019, 04:56 PM »
Oversized / waterproof mittens for me. Slip off...unhook fish...slip on. And that's if I use them at all. Unless it is bitter cold, I go without. Keep a hand towel in my suit to keep hands dry. As for gloves, of any kind that are designed to keep you warm...they're going to be cumbersome..
period. They are difficult to wear while reeling...not easy to detect any bites by feel...and they can be a pain to get on and off. jmo.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2019, 01:15 PM »
I was looking at these the other day. They have a zipper on the side to get your finger out for shooting so I am assuming that on a snowmobile that zipper would let cold air in. Probably not just wearing them on the ice.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-CANADIAN-STAND-HUNTER-II-GLOVE/2843473.uts?slotId=0

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2019, 01:19 PM »
Oversized / waterproof mittens for me. Slip off...unhook fish...slip on. And that's if I use them at all. Unless it is bitter cold, I go without. Keep a hand towel in my suit to keep hands dry. As for gloves, of any kind that are designed to keep you warm...they're going to be cumbersome..
period. They are difficult to wear while reeling...not easy to detect any bites by feel...and they can be a pain to get on and off. jmo.

Warm shanty for me...great for keeping hands warm.  ;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2019, 01:35 PM »
Has anyone used a pair of gloves from FXR? Popular snowmobile clothing brand especially in Canada.  I know they started making ice fishing suits also.

Offline harpdawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Has anyone used a pair of gloves from FXR? Popular snowmobile clothing brand especially in Canada.  I know they started making ice fishing suits also.

Good gloves, use them for snowmobiling, haven't brought them fishing.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2022, 08:59 PM »
3 pairs gorilla mechanics gloves for the base layer.  You tie 4 lb with these gloves on.  I also have 2 pair of wool fingerless that will pull over the mechanics gloves.  If it's really cold rubberized oversized mits over the mechanics gloves.  3 pair of mechanics gloves as I change them out if they get wet from water or sweat.

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:30 AM »
Take a look at these.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.