Author Topic: Arctic Armour Quality/Customer service problem?  (Read 8976 times)

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Arctic Armour Quality/Customer service problem?
« on: Dec 01, 2011, 12:41 PM »
I'm thinking about getting an Arctic Armour suit, but i've heard general rumblings of problems with Arctic Armour's quality (tears, zippers, snaps, etc) and trying to get something repaired by I.D.I. - but are they really that terrible?  I don't want to buy something if it's going to fall apart and I won't get support repairing from the company that made it  ???
Tight lines

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Its got some weight to it!
Re: Arctic Armour Quality/Customer service problem?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:21 PM »
I have two aa suits.  One light weight one heavy. Overall the suits have been a great investment! I would suggest getting an ice suit with aa bring a very solid option. I will admit, I had one seem separate on me. I had trouble with customer service but fortunately I purchased through a reputable company and they took care of my repairs and took the issue up with aa. The company I purchased through said they sold hundreds of the suits last year and only had a few returns. Hope this helps!
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2011, 02:54 PM »
dylan - thanks for the info.  What retailer was it?
Tight lines

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2011, 03:16 PM »
PM sent

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:32 PM »
DL
I bought mine last December and everything has been fine on it, no issues at all. It is very warm and light and comfortable to wear.  I got the camo pattern and have worn it on the ice, in the tree stand, and in the duck boat. Always been a pleasure to use. I bought mine from profishingsupply.com. Very good to deal with.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2011, 06:54 PM »
I bought one last spring.  It never seen action until this October when I was fishing the Red River at Selkirk.  There I opened a pocket and a button pulled through the material.  On my last ice fishing trip, my leg zipper took a crap, I pulled the zipper down, 3 teeth came off and that was it.  I called IDI and complained, they said that I could ship it to them on my dime, they'd inspect it to see who's fault it was and then decide whether to charge me for repairs or just foot the bill.  I am not impressed with this response one bit, but in reality they are small issues and fairly inexpensive to repair.  Over all I really like the product and it makes me feel a lot more comfortable out on the ice.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2011, 09:14 AM »
huh...that's exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about - it happaned with some boots and a coat I bought last year.  Nothing is worse than shelling out my hard earned money for something that is going to 'fall apart'.  A split zipper and missing buttons is a big deal to me when spending that much on a coat/bibs.  I can't believe I.D.I. wouldn't stand behind their stuff
Tight lines

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2011, 09:46 AM »
I don't blame you, if I knew this is how they operated, I wouldn't of made the purchase.

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2011, 10:00 AM »
huh...that's exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about - it happaned with some boots and a coat I bought last year.  Nothing is worse than shelling out my hard earned money for something that is going to 'fall apart'.  A split zipper and missing buttons is a big deal to me when spending that much on a coat/bibs.  I can't believe I.D.I. wouldn't stand behind their stuff

Best part is they won't admit that anything negative can happen to their product. A bit arrogant!

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:27 PM »
lets see it privateeyes

Offline dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Very strange looking. My seem separated in that same area but more towards the shoulder. Good luck with that! I think I paid $10 to have mine fixed. I couldn't believe that AA wouldn't fix it for me.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 02, 2011, 06:51 PM »
Very strange looking. My seem separated in that same area but more towards the shoulder. Good luck with that! I think I paid $10 to have mine fixed. I couldn't believe that AA wouldn't fix it for me.
Strange fabric indeed.. I honestly have no thought of having this fixed! The bib was never washed or heated in anyway except me passing gas from time to time . I'm not sure about warranty but, IDI GEAR said to return it to the place I bought it and that is what I intend to do. For 150.00 dollars, I expect a much durable fabric for my outdoor apparel. glta

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 02, 2011, 07:49 PM »
thanks for the feedback guys, helps me make my mind up on the striker suit.   :)
Tight lines

Offline Krakkon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2011, 07:44 AM »
Chances are they are now all made in china!

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2011, 11:23 PM »
I just got the striker lite suit compared it side by side with the AA suit at the ice show,  I thought the striker was made betternot to mention it has the adjustable length in the bibs, the venting in the jacket.  I can't wait to try it out.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:06 PM »

This may be true but that is where a company decides on the fabrics ad the QC.  The unfortunate thing with going Chinese it just tends to show that they don't care.  Nike been made in sweatshops for years but they still put out a damn good product.......
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:41 AM »
The Goretex patent ran out years ago and there are many great performing waterproof/breathable fabrics available with different names. Look for W/B numeric ratings for garments you are considering. Get at least 3000/3000 rating. The higher the better. Also, consider a vented jacket to help get inside heat and moisture out FAST. I believe that only Striker Ice jackets are vented. Check them out. Some models even float!

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2011, 12:00 PM »
yep, they look great.  I ordered the regular striker suit - I'll post up a detailed review when I get it and when I try it on the ice.  I had a hard time finding detailed reviews on this suit before ordering.
Tight lines

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:13 PM »
I've had an AA suit for five years and haven't had a single problem with them.  I'm wondering if these problems are widespread or if the unhappy customers are just making more noise.  If they are widespread, then I have to believe they've changed their fabric or production.  Everyone I know that has an early production suit loves them and haven't had many, if any, problems.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:13 AM »
I too am hoping it is just a bad lot number and that the other AA suites have no issues with thread lining falling apart. Especially knowing it is designed to keep one afloat good heavens! haha.. anyway, the bib slips on and off easy in the cold and it works great..I  take care of all my gear and any 150.00 dollar garment should not  fall apart in so short a period as mentioned.   

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:19 AM »
Took the words right out of my mouth  ::)

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2011, 06:29 AM »
I've had an AA suit for 4 or 5 years and never had any problems with it, so I can't speak to the question of customer service.  I liked them so much I bought 3 more for my sons for Christmas presents 2 or 3 years ago.  None of them ever spoke of any problems with their suits, and they like them just fine.  It makes me feel a little easier knowing that if they should ever fall through the ice, they will at least have a fighting chance to get back out without sinking like a stone.
Mike

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2011, 03:07 PM »
I've had an AA suit for 4 or 5 years and never had any problems with it, so I can't speak to the question of customer service.  I liked them so much I bought 3 more for my sons for Christmas presents 2 or 3 years ago.  None of them ever spoke of any problems with their suits, and they like them just fine.  It makes me feel a little easier knowing that if they should ever fall through the ice, they will at least have a fighting chance to get back out without sinking like a stone.
Mike
There are probably few things in life that can give a Father better piece of mind than that.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2011, 07:26 PM »
There are probably few things in life that can give a Father better piece of mind than that.
lol Gill. you think that is bad , I found the velcro thread untrining on my new Clam Kenia on both side crucial for the flip tent in the wind .. it started falling apart  sometime last season (brand new)  There was plenty discussion about overseas manufacturing.. anyway this is what I did just tonight..  Needled 14lb fireline and hand threaded  over the #@%@! @hina $$$$ better than ever ::) Don't think the AA bib is a bad bib.. so long as is holds up a few seasons without a ter as I obviously posted

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:01 AM »
The stinking knees in my suit leak like crazy, between that, buttons pulling out and a broken zipper,  I am convinced AA is complete garbage.  I could kick myself for not buying a Snosuit.

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:13 AM »
I got my suit in October of this year, zipper in jacket ripped out of jacket 2nd time I put it on. I got lucky and the place I bought it exchanged it, The right knee on the bibs leaks and yesterday the suspenders tore apart where they cross. AA takes no responsibility! Wish I would of went with the Striker suit. Now I really wonder if it will even float!? I would sell it but couldn't live with myself selling a POS to some one.

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:28 PM »
ouch!  Just got my striker ice suit, the thing looks great!  It came with extra buttons and such which is a big plus for me, and it has a warranty through the manufacturer to (1 year I believe).  I intend on posting a detailed review shortly, and hopefully another after it gets abused on the ice a  little.
Tight lines

Offline Shawgill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:17 PM »
I've had my AA suit 4 years and love it , no issues what so ever.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:32 PM »
I've had my AA suit 4 years and love it , no issues what so ever.

yep five for mine and no problems with the suit or with IDI CS. Called them once when I put a little cut in the leg of my bibs with an auger. They emailed me detailed instructions on how to fix it.

My only b***h would be that they could have used better zippers, but then again, 5 years no problems.

Maybe QC or materials have changed between the older suits and the verisons.

J-

Offline slabkiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2011, 12:27 PM »
I just bought a Striker Ice outfit at Korkys and I saw that they had the Arctic Armor on closeout. It was the cheapest I found them but I see they are getting picked over. If you want AA you might want to check it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.