The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Helena Area Fishing Reports  (Read 9089 times)

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Helena Area Fishing Reports
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:54 PM »
what do you all use to catch the ling, i've never done it. I'm always interested in trying my luck at a new species. ??? :)

TIGHT LINES

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:04 PM »
I have always used jigging rapalas tipped with minnow heads or with storm soft baits with worms and maggots or just any bait that well stinks usally does the trick.
Rooney

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:13 PM »
ah gee bobba,

what lake is the holding Reservior on i havent ever heard of it and by what dam;and if you dont mind me asking what were ya catching them on my buddy hasent ever caught one so i would like to make it easier on him to get his first one.
                         Bowhunter4Life.
Rooney

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:52 PM »
The holding res is off of York Road on the south side. You will see the fishing access signs. York road is off of Canyon Ferry road.

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:10 PM »
Went to the holding res today. did not do good, I had one ling and I lost him at the hole.  Are there mouths soft, im not sure how he got off, o'well this way i can say he was alot bigger.  i'll be heading there tomarrow morning to try again.  there was a good group by the damn. wonder how they did. any tips would be great thanks

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 22, 2009, 02:02 PM »
Went to the holding res today. did not do good, I had one ling and I lost him at the hole.  Are there mouths soft, im not sure how he got off, o'well this way i can say he was alot bigger.  i'll be heading there tomarrow morning to try again.  there was a good group by the d**n. wonder how they did. any tips would be great thanks

I don't think their mouths are soft.  They just like to smile as they spit the hook at you and swim back down the hole.   ;D  Actually, I do notice that they have a tendency to just mouth the baits.  On a tipup, it is better to give them some time after the flag goes up for them to swallow the bait.  I have never jigged for them so I can't give much advice there.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #36 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:12 PM »

This guy wasn't smiling.... :-\

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Well I just t back from the holding res and it was amazing  I limited out in 2 hours after i figured it out the ling were right under the ice.  I even had one wim up the hole and  grab an old maggot ( im not even joking ) all of mine were a little small but i saw a couple that wouldn't have fit through the hole  there are some monsters in there

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Well I just t back from the holding res and it was amazing  I limited out in 2 hours after i figured it out the ling were right under the ice.  I even had one wim up the hole and  grab an old maggot ( im not even joking ) all of mine were a little small but i saw a couple that wouldn't have fit through the hole  there are some monsters in there
Whats the limit on Ling?  I wasn't aware that there was one, but then again, never catch more then 1 a year anyways, so I guess it doesn't matter too much for me.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Limit is 5 unless im reading the regs wrong

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:07 PM »
Limit is 5 unless im reading the regs wrong
Yep, page 52.  5 daily, AND in possession.  seems pretty low compaired to other limits...

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:16 PM »
Yeah it does . I wish I could have stayed out longer  It was real cool watching them swim right under the ice

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #42 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:23 PM »
What depth were ya fishing at and what depth was the bait at if they were right under the ice? :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:31 PM »
What depth were ya fishing at and what depth was the bait at if they were right under the ice? :tipup: :tipup:
36fow  and it veried form right under the ice - about 8 feet

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 22, 2009, 04:50 PM »
perch hog  im not sure if my pm went out

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #45 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:33 AM »
When ya were fishing on the holding res. what were ya catching the ling on :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 23, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Well I just t back from the holding res and it was amazing  I limited out in 2 hours after i figured it out the ling were right under the ice.

What time of the day are you fishing? Thanks for any help.

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Swedish pimples and maggots and in the mourning  90% of the ling werent interested though so other bait might work better

Offline mtnfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 23, 2009, 03:50 PM »
Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.