The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: High mountain lakes in Montana  (Read 9940 times)

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
High mountain lakes in Montana
« on: Nov 04, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Anyone ever check out any lakes around 6 or 7 thousand feet for ice yet? I am going to this weekend or before, maybe tomorrow as I can,t take it any more. There are a ton of lakes reachable by four wheeler. Please let me know if any ideas and I'll let ya know what I find.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline wingnutty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: High mountain lakes in Montana
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2008, 08:27 PM »
u r nuts ;D  Heck, ice will be here soon enough and come march I'll be saying "man, I want some open water" or "wish I could duck or pheasant hunt!"

I'm still keyed on birds.  I'll switch into ice mode in mid-dec though :tipup:

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2008, 11:05 AM »
The one lake Im keepn an eye on is Hyalite which is at about 6700ft and Cataract Reservoir as well.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2008, 09:08 PM »
The one lake Im keepn an eye on is Hyalite which is at about 6700ft and Cataract Reservoir as well.

Are there still big rainbows and Browns in Hyalite.  When I was a kid, I use to go fishing there with my Grandfather and my Great Uncle.  Worms and cowbells and you had big trout 'til you stopped fishing.  Use to catch them from the shore with Bobbers too...

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2008, 03:13 PM »
I was up South Willow creek above Pony yesterday and some of the high lakes were frozen enough to walk on. Cataract though just had a skim of ice in the morning.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Oh the fishing at Hyalite has treated me very well when I've hit it through the ice for trout and GRAYLING!!  If you're ever down in the area PM me if you're interested.

Spedray,  whatd ya doin up in my neck of the woods???  Hunting I suppose?  ;D  I was actually goin to head up and check on Cataract today but since ya been there I dont want to waste the gas or experience a possible "pucker" factor going over the rock on garnet grade since it's been getting worse.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:36 PM »
Anyone been up to Hyalite?

Offline colterpierce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2008, 04:08 PM »
Anyone ever check out any lakes around 6 or 7 thousand feet for ice yet? I am going to this weekend or before, maybe tomorrow as I can,t take it any more. There are a ton of lakes reachable by four wheeler. Please let me know if any ideas and I'll let ya know what I find.

I know there is some ice on my ponds outside of dillon but then i took a lil hunting trip to the big hole by lemi high pass and the high mountain lakes are open as can be and in a few more weeks your gonna have to get there by snowmobil

Offline hunterdan1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2008, 07:29 AM »
I was up to hyalite sunday it is still open.I live about ten miles from hylite I'll let you know went it ices up. :tipup:

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2008, 07:49 PM »
Usually highlight reservour doesn't get ice until the middle of december I usually we go and get a christmas tree the weekend of thanksgiving and it has only had ice on it one year that i can remember out of the last 8 at this time of year. I will be up there as soon as its frozen.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Not "high mountain lakes", but some of the smaller ponds in SE MT that are in higher elevation (4000'+) shaded spots have skeened over with ice.  Definitely not safe to fish, but getting there.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2008, 01:14 PM »
Hopefully the ice will finally start coming here at the end of the month.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2008, 03:41 PM »
cutbow I live in Churchill, so we problay fish a lot of the same lakes. I was up there elk hunting. Passed on a 6x6 about 3 miles up the trail. I was up there again on saturday at Cataract and it still didn't have any ice. I am heading up by Virgina City today to hit some lakes. Hopen I still can drive a truck up there with this weather we got today. Going to be hitting a few lakes to go fishing. I will let you know if I see any ice.

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2008, 07:39 PM »
You passed on a 6x6???

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2008, 08:13 PM »
I shot a big mule deer and already have a big freezer full of meat. Plus he had really short tines. On the plus side I went ice fishing today on a small lake at 6700 feet. There was about 2 inches of ice on part of the lake but there was still some open water. I caught one trout that was 6 pounds and lost one that was even bigger. Ended up catching 6 fish with the smallest one that was 3 pounds and missed atleast a dozen.

Bullelk34

« Reply #15 on: Nov 23, 2008, 10:29 AM »
I was up above Clancy yesterday hunting, and Park Lake is still mostly open. I hear it has good trout and grayling though I haven't fished it yet.

Carl

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2008, 04:34 PM »
yeah right what have you been smoking ;D

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I got.......ICE!!!  ;D ;D   couple of the private ponds I fish are frozen halfway and I walked out about 10yds to check em out.  One pond was completely iced over as of this morning.  These are in the valley so I imagine cataract and hyalite gotta have something.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:33 PM »
I am thinking of going up hyalite this sat. I have never really had any luck up there doing any type of fishing. Anybody have any pointers.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:50 AM »
I was up South Willow creek above Pony yesterday and some of the high lakes were frozen enough to walk on. Cataract though just had a skim of ice in the morning.

I was just wondering where Cataract is or how to get there
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Cataract is about mile and a half to two miles to the west of pony.  Go through Pony, turn at the 2nd cattle guard (i think there's just 2) there is a set of old corrals and there is a turnoff to the right that follows the hillside.  Take that turn to the right and stay on the road.  I imagine that the lake is only accessable by truck with chains, fourwheeler with chains, or a snowmobile.  The nastiest part is right before the lake where a spring crosses the road through a culvert and the culvert freezes shut and the water runs down the road and under the snow.  The big climb at the beginning isnt the safest thing in the world when there's snow and ice.  There are brookies and cutthroats in cataract.  BE SAFE!  There is no room for error goin up Garnet Grade.  Good Luck

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Cataract is about mile and a half to two miles to the west of pony.  Go through Pony, turn at the 2nd cattle guard (i think there's just 2) there is a set of old corrals and there is a turnoff to the right that follows the hillside.  Take that turn to the right and stay on the road.  I imagine that the lake is only accessable by truck with chains, fourwheeler with chains, or a snowmobile.  The nastiest part is right before the lake where a spring crosses the road through a culvert and the culvert freezes shut and the water runs down the road and under the snow.  The big climb at the beginning isnt the safest thing in the world when there's snow and ice.  There are brookies and cutthroats in cataract.  BE SAFE!  There is no room for error goin up Garnet Grade.  Good Luck
Years ago I used to fish in a reservoir on top of a mountain.This reservoir was across Willow Creek from the campground near the hotsprings.Caught a lot of Cuthroat out of there using grasshoppers.
What would the name of the reservoir be?

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:09 PM »
My personal favorite flyfishing hole  ;D  Goes by the name of Duncan Reservoir locally and Campcreek Reservoir in politically correct terms.  Dam got ripped out in......the 40's or something I think.  If you look closely while you're fishing you can see where the water line of where the lake used to be before they blew a hole in the dam.  Would of been a sweet lake if they'd left it.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2008, 07:04 PM »
Hey thanks for the directions on how to get to catarac.  I will try to make it over there one of these days.  Fished Hyalite this afternoon/evening and got worked.  Caught one brookie of good size early and nothin for like four hours. Decided it was time for plan B.  Saw a spot that looked like it had quite a bit of activity so I loaded up and moved over there.  Another guy was fishing but he was friendly enough to let me sneak into some holes.  He caught quite a few but I didn't do so hot.  Couple cutts and two of three dinker brookies.  Fished the pond but the mall the other day because I had been thinking about ice fishing a lot and needed to get out.  Caught like 30 in about an hour and a half.  The first seven I couldn't even set the depth let alone fish two rods.  Not my favorite place in the world but it be a great place for someone to take their kids.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2008, 05:59 PM »
What where you using for bait on hyalite? I am heading up there tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too bad out.

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2008, 06:35 PM »
H Caught like 30 in about an hour and a half.  The first seven I couldn't even set the depth let alone fish two rods. 
What type of fish were you catching?

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 14, 2008, 06:26 PM »
What where you using for bait on hyalite? I am heading up there tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be too bad out.

When I was up there I was using meal worms but the guy I was fishing with was using nightcrawlers.  Haven't been able to find any maggots yet but I haven't checked recently enough. 

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 14, 2008, 06:37 PM »
What type of fish were you catching?

They were all little 5-6 inch stocker rainbows.  But I know there are sunfish(bluegill) and perch and bass.  They also used to but the hogs from the hatchery in there when they weren't good for spawning anymore.  Kind of gross fish...clipped fins deformed heads but 6 pounders a 6 ponder.

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:09 PM »
thanks

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2008, 07:33 PM »
I fished Hyalie yesterday afternoon. Did ok I caught 2 cuts and 3 brookies. The brookies were three feet under the ice in about 25 feet of water. I finally picked up a shack this week and when we closed all the windows we could see the fish right under the ice. Pretty fun fishing. The cuts were two feet off the bottom. We had a lot of bites but had a rookie along who was missing them. Ice was about 8 inches by the damn.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.